Topic Details

Monk Leveling Guide

33 replies to this topic Started by Damien, Sep 25 2012 02:09 AM comments monk leveling

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Damien
  • Damien
  • Administrator
  • LocationParis, France
This thread is for comments about our Monk leveling guide.

Join us on IRC! | server: irc.quakenet.org | port: 6667 | channel: #icy-veins

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Guest_Windwife_*
  • Guest_Windwife_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
I have been using your leveling guide to level my monk and so far I am at 64. I found it extremely useful and even keep a printout of it next to my computer as I go along. Really great work! The only additions I would make are that I can't stress enough how useful the daily visits to special monk training using Zen Pilgrimage every day are. The 1 hour experience buff is great and the practice sessions you have to complete are much better than training dummies. Also there are the profession trainers located on the side terrace as you head down to train which are useful when leveling professions, and a vendor, Brewmaster trainer, who sells better food with buffs useful to a monk. I stock up on these regularly. I addition for those occasions when your target "runs away in fear" crackling jade lightening can be useful. Thanks again for the great article. Love it.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Elhombre
  • Elhombre
  • Vagrant
Thanks for the great guide Posted Image
It's worth mentioning that there is an heirloom agility staff that may be preferrable for monks.
http://www.wowhead.c...ed-warden-staff
I bought mine at the argent tournament (I was low on JP but had plenty of Champions Seals to spare). With a +25 agility enchant it really helps with leveling.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

I have been using your leveling guide to level my monk and so far I am at 64. I found it extremely useful and even keep a printout of it next to my computer as I go along. Really great work!

The only additions I would make are that I can't stress enough how useful the daily visits to special monk training using Zen Pilgrimage every day are. The 1 hour experience buff is great and the practice sessions you have to complete are much better than training dummies. Also there are the profession trainers located on the side terrace as you head down to train which are useful when leveling professions, and a vendor, Brewmaster trainer, who sells better food with buffs useful to a monk. I stock up on these regularly.

I addition for those occasions when your target "runs away in fear" crackling jade lightening can be useful.

Thanks again for the great article. Love it.

Thanks for this post.

Regarding the buff for going back to your trainer, I agree that it is lovely. It's already mentioned quite clearly (in my opinion) in the guide, so I'll leave that as is.

I improved the description of Crackling Jade Lightning a bit to include your suggested usage. Thank you!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Guest_Jarinha_*
  • Guest_Jarinha_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
After a long time using and learning from Icy Veins amazing guides it's time to come forward and say thank you for all the work in putting all this incredibly useful information together.

Thanks. Posted Image

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

After a long time using and learning from Icy Veins amazing guides it's time to come forward and say thank you for all the work in putting all this incredibly useful information together.

Thanks. Posted Image

You are welcome!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Guest_rapting_*
  • Guest_rapting_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
great guide. i would like to mention that expel harm, combined with Posted Image Spinning Fire Blossom and crackling jade lightening is a great cobo to use on casters and for pulling mobs to you better then provoke imo. I can kill a good caster at distance by useing expel harm 2 fire blossoms and jade him to death before he can get a cast off. and i am level 72 now

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Vlad
  • Vlad
  • Administrator
  • LocationRennes, France

great guide. i would like to mention that expel harm, combined with Posted Image Spinning Fire Blossom and crackling jade lightening is a great cobo to use on casters and for pulling mobs to you better then provoke imo. I can kill a good caster at distance by useing expel harm 2 fire blossoms and jade him to death before he can get a cast off. and i am level 72 now

Thank you :)

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Zaeryn
  • Zaeryn
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
"If you are worried about running out of bag space, you can simply make an alt character, send all your mats to it and leave them in the mailbox for until you need them." Just remember that mail only stays in the mailbox for a month before it disappears and Game Masters may or may not be able to restore it for you. Don't risk it by forgetting to take the mail out.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Guest_dashypookins_*
  • Guest_dashypookins_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
how do the stats weigh out for speed leveling (wind) using the 1h heirloom vs the staff heirloom)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Guest_twinbear_*
  • Guest_twinbear_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
i was more wondering which race os the best race for monks. This would be a great help in selecting for pve and pvp.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Guest_Kyanee_*
  • Guest_Kyanee_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Great guide, thank you! I am a new player (true newbie) and i can truly say i have learned tot play WOW quite fast thanks to this guide. I always keep it open in my browser when playing and check it every time i level up. I haven't looked yet, but i hope there are more like this one for other classes i would like to try out after levelling my monk! Thanks again!!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Guest_Beercules_*
  • Guest_Beercules_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Great guide but as I was looking at the Heirloom items I was wondering about the weapon... isn't there an Agility Staff now instead of the mace that was suggested.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

MadMonk
  • MadMonk
  • The Mad Monk
  • LocationBelgium

Great guide but as I was looking at the Heirloom items I was wondering about the weapon... isn't there an Agility Staff now instead of the mace that was suggested.

There is indeed an agility staff ( Burnished Warden Staff) which can be used by monks. I don't know which one is better, but since the staff is cheaper (3500 JP) than 2 maces (4350 JP) you might want to choose the staff.

Also one thing I noted in the guide is:

(you should remove them as soon as you reach level 80):
(you should remove them as soon as you reach level 85):

Unless they changed this, the heirloom items still gave extra experience points from level 80 to 81 (or 85 to 86). This means that you might want to keep the heirloom items that give extra exp just one level longer.
Healer for Life!

Monk healer MadMonk - Warcry - EU Auchindoun

My opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the owners or writers of the icy-veins website/guides.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Guest_Xyphorium_*
  • Guest_Xyphorium_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
I'd like to mention that Spinning Fire Blossom is actually really good, at least from my experience. Currently being at level 65, and since I got it I used it. It does more damage than Blackout Kick, while costing less Chi. Currently not seeing any reason to use Blackout Kick over it.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Guest_Steve_*
  • Guest_Steve_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
Under the guild heirlooms section, you should add in the legs Stained Shadowcraft Pants

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Krazyito
  • Krazyito
  • The Kraziest of Itos
  • LocationBroward, Florida

Unless they changed this, the heirloom items still gave extra experience points from level 80 to 81 (or 85 to 86). This means that you might want to keep the heirloom items that give extra exp just one level longer.

No, I remember testing this in cata. The extra exp stop at 80/85.

I'd like to mention that Spinning Fire Blossom is actually really good, at least from my experience. Currently being at level 65, and since I got it I used it. It does more damage than Blackout Kick, while costing less Chi. Currently not seeing any reason to use Blackout Kick over it.

It will scale differently at 90. Blackout kick WILL be better.

Edited by Krazyito, 25 January 2013 - 01:05 AM.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Guest_Xyphorium_*
  • Guest_Xyphorium_*
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR

It will scale differently at 90. Blackout kick WILL be better.

But this is a leveling guide, no?

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Krazyito
  • Krazyito
  • The Kraziest of Itos
  • LocationBroward, Florida

But this is a leveling guide, no?

I see your point. The only other thing I can think of is the guide is preparing you to use the correct rotation for when you hit 90. OR Icy-veins did not expect that it would do more damage then Blackout kick since blackout kick is suppose to do more damage.

Edit: I forgot, as WW, Blackout kick will put a DoT if used behind the target and will heal you if used in front. . Thats the other reason to use it.

Edited by Krazyito, 27 January 2013 - 12:37 AM.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Madcircle
  • Madcircle
  • Vagrant
  • NO DEFAULT AVATAR
I too would like to say thank you for the guide. This is a great forum, glad I found it.

Reply to this topic

Active Users

0 user(s) are browsing this forum 0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users