FORUMS
Damien

Monk Leveling Guide

No Ascension at 45??

Well, no.

unless you are not using your chi enough.

If this is the case I (and Icy-Veins aswell) advise you to improve your rotation to make sure your chi is used. Taking ascencion might be good as a healer for pooling to help with big bursts in some fights, but even this can be done properly without the extra chi.

I only chose it during leveling because I like the word Ascension. (This has a reason, but it is irrelevant)

Try to use all the chi you make.

Shine

Guest nazrog

Note:The function of Tigereye Brew was changed, you generate 1 stack for every 3 used Chi and you can stack them up to 20.

Drinking the brew consumes up to 10 Stacks of the buff

Guest WeeWilly

nice guild but one thing sort of stands out and I got a boot to the head - can't heirloom armor now be sent via mail across realms?

Wee "Ed Gruberman" Willy

nice guild but one thing sort of stands out and I got a boot to the head - can't heirloom armor now be sent via mail across realms?

Wee "Ed Gruberman" Willy

Yes they can!

We shall update this and the frost mage guide as well as soon as possible. :)

Guest WeeWilly

Thanks Oltier. Say did you your projector done back in Dec? I can't remember exactly what it was, but you were going to do some sort of web site? 

-weewilly  "did anyone get my Ed Gruberman reference?"

Guest Snowraker

need to update this section: 

1.7. Heirloom Items

If you already have a Level 85 character, you can purchase Heirloom items. These items are bound to your account and you can freely send them from one character to another (the only restriction is that you cannot send them to a character on another realm).

you now can send account-bound items across realms and across factions.

great guide! One note to add to section 1.9 Peak of Serenity - the buff will stack up to 24 hours worth of buff. This can be significant if you are leveling several characters and you only have time to do the monk training every day for several days. (I leveled four monks due to my guild needing them for 'stay classy' achieve, and doing the daily monk training plus cooking/fishing daily leveled them very quickly.)

Guest Benjieeje

Hey, i just wanted to tell you that you can send Heirloom items crossrealm. Just type "Name"-"Server".

Guest Legnaros

I would like to point out that I feel the guide kinda glosses over Brewmaster leveling.  Windwalker might be fast in terms of damage output, but instant dungeon queues from 1-100 makes dungeon leveling on par if not superior to leveling.  I just leveled a second Brewmaster to test this and went 1-100 in 2 days played.  Only extra thing I had was 2 of the 300% exp potions, which are pretty easy to get if you're farming Steamwheedle rep.

The thing is, even without the xp flasks, Serenity buff coupled with heirloom items will net you roughly 2 levels per dungeon with quest turnins.  Without you're looking at roughly 1 per, which to me as a tank and instant queues is far quicker than questing. 

I also want to point out the lack of mention to enchant scaling in this guide.  Your best enchants will for the most part be MoP enchants, with the WoD ring(if you have the fishing BoA)and cloak enchants.  So Dancing Steel weapon, agi shoulder enchant, stats to chest, agi leg armor, etc. 

So while it's a nice guide, Brewmaster leveling is probably a lot faster even into the later levels because of instant tank queues. 

Guest Stiverton

I have been levelling a monk for the last week or two.  I started out questing as Windwalker, and doing dungeons as Brewmaster.  I noticed that I was dealing a lot of damage as Brewmaster, and after trying Brewmaster outside of dungeons, I have to say that I think it is a better spec for questing.

Brew can deal much better burst DPS, since Keg Smash hits hard, and gives two combo points which lets you use blackout kick immediately.  Additionally since they are so much tankier, it's possible to take on multiple mobs at a time, allowing you to grind faster.

I highly recommend trying out Brewmaster when questing.

Guest Mggio

This should be updated. As the last two posters have mentioned, it is far quicker to level as Brewmaster these days due to the fact you can level purely in dungeons and queue instantly because tanks are so desirable. In fact, if you have heirloom items you only need to do each dungeon ONCE while leveling. That means 1-15 will actually be the hardest part of your grind. For example, it took me roughly 6 hours played to get to 15 and then just another 12 to get to 50.

Here is what you have to do:

- Get the 10% xp bonus heirloom cap and pants. Get the 5% xp bonus cloak. This should cost just a couple thousand from your guild vendor, assuming your guild has the necessary achievements.

- Get the 10% xp pvp shoulders bought with honor. It should only take you a couple of battlegrounds to get enough honor. With the other heirlooms you should have a 35% xp bonus.

- Every day use your pilgrimage ability to do the daily to get the 1 hour 50% xp buff.

- Every 10 levels, I think, you can return to Pandaria and do a training quest to get a belt upgrade and get the 50% xp buff again. You can do this in addition to the daily!

- Once you hit 15 queue for dungeons as a tank. Get the quests at the beginning of each dungeon and try and complete them although it's not a big deal if you miss one here and there. You should gain 2 levels for each dungeon! After you finish and queue for the next dungeon you should notice there is a new dungeon available. I always chose specific dungeons so I never have to do a single dungeon more than once! You should have no problem tanking even dungeons that are orange to you.

Brewmaster dps is great too. Even as tank, I'm usually top dps in the dungeon.

Guest Bernie Vail

How can I print this guide?  When I try to "print file" all I get is the first page.

How can I print this guide?  When I try to "print file" all I get is the first page.

Different browsers have different methods, but an all-encompassing one is to utilize ctrl+p, which will print the page.

Guest Gary Balkam

Have to disagree. Wind walker is not the fastest way to level.  Brew master is.  You get instant queues in dungeons.  Mist weaver (healer) would be a close second.  So, just as with any other multifunction class, tanks are the fastest to level, then healers and finally, dps.  A tank or healer never has more than a 2 minute queue vs. 20 minutes for a dps.

* As brew master, in heirlooms, I was actually able to run rage fire chasm solo to level from 10 to 14 (in one run), I could have done this to level 18 in 2 more quick solo runs.  Mind you, you have to know how to mitigate your damage, but it is fairly easy to do if you keep up your rotation.

Guest MIsterBongwater

The guide is still generally good.  I agree with the previous posts re: Brewmaster, especially with heirlooms.  Early on, the added dps and tankiness really help in world questing as you can do large pulls pretty regularly.  Once you get into Pandaria and Draenor, WW gets strong again as the increased health of mobs slow BM down a little.  WW can really take down single mobs fast and with judicious use of mitigation and damage buffs, can take down packs really well.  BM is safer and handles groups a lot better while using Purifying Brew and Healing Elixirs to heal up.  I tend to switch back and forth depending on how spread out mobs are in a zone.

One change I would make to the guide is to glyph Victory Roll early.  This along with Celerity (15 Talent) means you'll have a ton of mobility available to you when you take down a pack.  Add that to WW's Serpent Kick and it just gets ridiculous. 

Guest MisterBongwater

The guide is still generally good.  I agree with the previous posts re: Brewmaster, especially with heirlooms.  Early on, the added dps and tankiness really help in world questing as you can do large pulls pretty regularly.  Once you get into Pandaria and Draenor, WW gets strong again as the increased health of mobs slow BM down a little.  WW can really take down single mobs fast and with judicious use of mitigation and damage buffs, can take down packs really well.  BM is safer and handles groups a lot better while using Purifying Brew and Healing Elixirs to heal up.  I tend to switch back and forth depending on how spread out mobs are in a zone.

One change I would make to the guide is to glyph Victory Roll early.  This along with Celerity (15 Talent) means you'll have a ton of mobility available to you when you take down a pack.  Add that to WW's Serpent Kick and it just gets ridiculous. 

Hi!

This guide was super useful, so I went to check out the other class levelling guides..

How come this is the only class guide you have that covers Lvls 1-100..

All the other class levelling guides only seem to cover Lvls 85-100! 

I'd love to the see the other classes covered from Lvls 1-100 like this one is! It's so helpful! 

I use Icey Veins for everything when I need help. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Thanks,

Kallidus

Edited by Kallidus

6 minutes ago, Kallidus said:

Hi!

This guide was super useful, so I went to check out the other class levelling guides..

How come this is the only class guide you have that covers Lvls 1-100..

All the other class levelling guides only seem to cover Lvls 85-100! 

I'd love to the see the other classes covered from Lvls 1-100 like this one is! It's so helpful! 

I use Icey Veins for everything when I need help. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Thanks,

Kallidus

We always say that we're going to expand these guides to cover 1-100 and then we never manage to actually find the the time :P

Guest The Hidden One
On 6/12/2016 at 11:50 PM, Damien said:

We always say that we're going to expand these guides to cover 1-100 and then we never manage to actually find the the time :P

Was about to post something relating to this, just started to make a Monk and read the "Change from heirloom at 80" part and i was confused since they can go to 90 and 100, but this explains it

21 hours ago, Guest The Hidden One said:

Was about to post something relating to this, just started to make a Monk and read the "Change from heirloom at 80" part and i was confused since they can go to 90 and 100, but this explains it

Now that we have recruited actual class writers, we might find the time to make full-fledged guides. So we'll see :)

Guest Legion Leveling 100

Why are you sugesting that Windwalker Monks should use the STRENGHT Flask/Potions? They need the Agility ones, don't they?

Guest Miyao

Chi orbit is the WORST talent you can pick up for the level 100 talents. It will hit neutral NPCs.

Also you should be using Agility flasks/potions/augments and not Strength.

8 hours ago, Guest Miyao said:

Chi orbit is the WORST talent you can pick up for the level 100 talents. It will hit neutral NPCs.

Also you should be using Agility flasks/potions/augments and not Strength.

The agility/strength issue is caused by a server-side problem. You should be using Agility, for sure. 

Chi Orbit, at least for me when levelling, never aggroed a neutral mob that I didn't already hit.