Hearthstone Chieftain Scarvash

16 posts in this topic

It looks like his Heroic and normal decks are the same, with just the order of cards in the lists being changed slightly.

I defeated this boss today on heroic with a pretty standard patron warrior (cheap deck). I suspect that you need either inner rage and execute in starting hand, or good turn 2-4 with armorsmith.

If you get board control or manage to build up some patrons without dying, you are good to go.

I defeated him with a cheap priest deck without any shenanigans on my 4th try. The trick is to get rid of the opening pair of Troggs quickly. Any 3/2 with Velen's Chosen works here, or a 3/2 and a Shadow Word: pain. After that his deck is pretty poor and it is crucial to note that he runs a lot of x/6 creatures. Hence the Boulderfists and Lords of the Arena who can often trade 2/1 or even 3/1. 

Most cards are replaceable with cards with similar stats if you don't have them (except probably Velen's Chosen)

Light of the Naaru

Shadow Word: Pain x2

Bloodfen Raptor x2

Acidic Swamp Ooze x2

Shrinkmeister x2

Shadow Word: Death x2

Velen's Chosen x2

Holy Champion x2

Refreshment Vendor x2

Sen'jin Shieldmasta x2

Excavated Evil

Holy Nova x2

Holy Fire

Boulderfist Ogre x2

Lord of the Arena x2

Temple Enforcer

Mind Control

That priest deck works awesome... saw a number of "cheap" scarvash decks listed from 4000 - 6000 dust... smart deck man. good eye on the x/6 trade strategy

The priest deck above is not very good - 10 tries and no luck. No removal means that you barely get to round 6... so all  those 6 drops are pointless.

The warrior deck is more competitive, but still haven't been top beat Scarvash on Heroic.

The priest deck is certainly not an auto-win but you can beat Scarvash with it I just tried it 8 more times and beat him twice (changed the Mind control for a Powerword Glory by the way, but that's not what makes it tick). Let's be real, this boss is a very tough nut to crack. He starts with a massive board advantage that does

- at the very least 10 damage to you before you can do anything

- you have to spend at least 2 cards to neutralize his free threats and

- deal with the rest of his board that he still adds in the first few turns

You have to

1) mulligan hard for Velen's and SW:P and hope that you get a 2 drop

2) hope that he doesn't lightning bolt your 2 drop AND

3) hope that he doesn't simply curve to well to overrun you which is still possible.  

If you don't get a surviving 2 drop and a Velens/SWP, concede immediately because it's hopeless. Otherwise, play well and you have a chance.

I just added the deck to give players without 2 doomsayers a way to win against him. The warrior deck IS probably more competitive but also 5000 dust more expensive, and not 5000 dust in cards like Boom and Sylvanas that most of us have, but 5000 dust in less-often crafted cards.

Hard work if you're on the cheap and you need a bit of luck but it certainly is possible!. 

1 person likes this

Great deck, Modalko! Couldn't use warrior since I lacked half of the epics the deck required. With yours I managed to win on the third try. I made a few substitions since I had better twodrops like micro machines and knife jugglers, and replaced the temple enforcer with Justicar Trueheart, since I happened to have it. Thanks again!

After losing countless times with the Warrior deck (probably because I lacked a few crucial cards, such as Doomsayer), I won on the first try with a slightly modified version of Modalko's deck.

I used Boneguard Lieutenant, Faerie Dragon and two Knife Jugglers, instead of the regular 3/2s suggested. I also used two Light of the Naaru, instead of one and I added an extra 3/2 instead of Mind Control. But I think the basic deck could work just as well.

Thanks Modalko!

Great to hear that, you're welcome guys! Yeah, the deck can obviously be improved a bit by using 'higher quality' versions of the basic minions if you have them, but I wanted to keep the 'nice to haves' to a minimum. It's always easier to upgrade than to downgrade :)

Sick deck thanks for decklist!

took out: Bouncing Blade, Gorehowl and 1 Doomsayer

put in: 2nd Brawl, 2 Sparring Partners(never drew them..)

I highly recommend using the Summoning Stone - once I used that card the fight was easy!

I defeated Heroic Chieftain Scarvash with these F2P decks.

Heroic Scarvash starts with two Troggs, which have to be dealt with quickly. His hero power interferes with the mana cost of your cards: On odd turns you cannot play any minions. On even turns you cannot play any spells.
Scarvash's deck consists of a lot of 4-drops, meaning he often gets rather slow starts apart from his initial board advantage.
Tunnel Troggs are no threat because Scarvash has only one Overload card: 1x Lightning Bolt.
It might be a good idea to avoid leaving an injured minion on Scarvash's board because of 1x Rampage.
Scarvash's deck contains 2x Dart Trap, so be very careful using your hero power.
Summoning Stone is a very risky play because Scarvash will answer it with 2x Confuse.

F2P Mage (0 Dust)
Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqfXhWJ37I

1x Elven Archer
1x Mirror Image
1x Voodoo Doctor
1x Acidic Swamp Ooze
1x Bloodfen Raptor
1x Frostbolt
1x Frostwolf Grunt
1x Jeweled Scarab
1x Murloc Tidehunter
1x Arcane Intellect
1x Brann Bronzebeard
1x Forgotten Torch
1x Frost Nova
2x Animated Armor
1x Chillwind Yeti
1x Dragonling Mechanic
1x Fireball
1x Gnomish Inventor
1x Polymorph
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Water Elemental
1x Darkscale Healer
1x Ethereal Conjurer
1x Frostwolf Warlord
1x Gurubashi Berserker
1x Summoning Stone
1x Reno Jackson
1x Flamestrike
1x Stormwind Champion

Mulligan for Animated Armor, then a 3/2, then Reno Jackson.
Turn 1: Do nothing, not even Mirror Image!
Turn 2: 3/2 minion.
Turn 3: Frost Nova, Frostbolt, Forgotten Torch.
Turn 4: Animated Armor.
Scarvash's minions will mostly ignore Animated Armor, but he will use Starfire against it.
Difficulty: Hard (may take more than 10 tries). If you can get Reno's Battlecry on turn 6 or later, the fight will actually be quite easy, but it still might take several tries.

Deck changes for Normal Mode: Goldshire Footman, Kobold Geomancer, Razorfen Hunter and Lord of the Arena instead of 2x Animated Armor, Ethereal Conjurer and Brann Bronzebeard.

F2P Priest (0 Dust)

2x Holy Smite
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Acidic Swamp Ooze
2x Bloodfen Raptor
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Shadow Word: Death
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Darkscale Healer
2x Gurubashi Berserker
2x Holy Nova
2x Lord of the Arena
2x Stormwind Champion

Mulligan for Shadow Word: Pain. If you have it, mulligan for a 3/2.
Turn 1: Do nothing.
Turn 2: Play a 3/2.
Turn 3: Shadow Word: Pain the Burly Rockjaw Trogg and trade your 3/2 into the Stonesplinter Trogg.
Difficulty: Hard (may take more than 10 tries).

F2P Warlock (0 Dust)
Inspiration: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=138915/loe-nocost-solver-scarvash

2x Corruption
1x Elven Archer
1x Soulfire
1x Voidwalker
1x Voodoo Doctor
1x Acidic Swamp Ooze
1x Bloodfen Raptor
1x Bluegill Warrior
1x Dark Peddler
1x Frostwolf Grunt
1x Jeweled Scarab
1x Kobold Geomancer
1x Murloc Tidehunter
1x Brann Bronzebeard
1x Drain Life
1x Ironfur Grizzly
1x Raid Leader
1x Razorfen Hunter
1x Shadow Bolt
1x Shattered Sun Cleric
1x Chillwind Yeti
1x Dragonling Mechanic
1x Gnomish Inventor
1x Ogre Magi
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Darkscale Healer
1x Frostwolf Warlord
1x Reno Jackson
1x Stormwind Champion

Mulligan for Corruption, then a 3/2, then Reno Jackson.
Turn 1: Corruption the Burly Rockjaw Trogg or restart.
Turn 2: Play a 3/2.
Turn 3: Trade your 3/2 into the Stonesplinter Trogg or Shadow Bolt or Soulfire.
Difficulty: Hard (may take more than 10 tries).

Deck changes for Normal Mode: Goldshire Footman instead of Brann Bronzebeard.

Posted (edited)

Tunnel Troggs are no threat because Scarvash has only one Overload card: 1x Lightning Bolt.

Scarvash actually has five Overload cards. In addition to Lightning Bolt, he runs 2x Crackle and 2x Fireguard Destroyer. The decklist for Scarvash is two cards short for some reason. Add the two Crackles and it brings the total to 30.

Edited by CaptLando

After 22 failed attempts with a mage deck that I made specifically for this fight, I turned to the priest deck presented by Modalko. Using a variation of his simple yet effective deck, I defeated Scarvash on my 3rd attempt. During most matches, it just seems like Scarvash has everything going perfectly his way, whether it's an endless supply of minions that I just can't keep up with, or a well-timed crackle and/or lightning bolt to clear my board. The card that saved me mid-game was Excavated Evil. I was low on health, board cleared...thought I was done for. Excavated Evil wiped the slate clean by clearing his. Anyway, after failing for hours with other classes, Modalko's priest is the way to go. Thank you, sir. wink.png

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Ben Brode confirmed the 2 game win streak to be unintentional and explained why he's not satisfied with the Ranked Ladder System.
      The developer team listened to the community and they will be making adjustments based on simulation systems that help predict changes that would do to the population curve. Here's what Brode had to say.
      Ben Brode
      Seeing some comments here about how people are enjoying easier laddering due to this bug, and hoping we leave it unfixed. I thought I might chime in and talk about the ladder a bit, and hopefully get some feedback! We have been discussing the ladder system a lot recently - we're not 100% happy with it.
      Here are some things we are currently discussing:
      Rank 18 players are higher ranked than 50% of HS players. That number doesn't make you feel like you are in the top 50%, and that's a missed opportunity. We try and counter this by telling you all over the place what the mapping is to the rest of the population, but it'd be better if expectations and reality matched here.
      We've received feedback that the last-minute jostling for high Legend ranks at the end of a season doesn't feel all that great.
      We've received feedback that the ladder can feel like a grind.
      We are reanalyzing the number of ranks, the number of stars per rank, the number of bonus stars given out at the start of the season, and other parts of the system.
      We are developing simulation systems that let us predict what changes to the ladder would do to the population curve. If we inflate too many stars, the whole population ends up in the Legend bucket and while that might feel great for a single month, the entire system falls apart eventually. People who played waaaay back may remember when "3-star master" was the pinnacle of achievement, and it meant nothing because so many people ended up in that bucket. With better simulation tools, we are planning on trying a lot of crazy things. Iteration is important in design, and getting the tools to iterate quickly is very important.
      Something I want to emphasize is that while I think we can improve the ladder, the metric for that improvement isn't necessarily any one player's individual rank increasing. Players want the better rewards (and prestige) associated with high ranks, or the Legend card back, so any change we make that increases the chances of those are likely to be perceived as "good", at least for the short term. But part of what makes the ranked ladder compelling is that exists to rank players. If you want to see how you stack up, ranked is the place to do it. So while some inflation might improve the experience, we need to be careful and make sure we end up with a system that makes people feel rewarded for increases in personal skill or for finding a new deck that breaks the meta.
      Have you considered not making the fall in rank so severe in the start of the new season? When I was a new player at rank 21 it didn't feel good to lose against a wicked good deck all the time with my inferior cards.
      Yes, that's what I meant by this: We are reanalyzing [...] the number of bonus stars given out at the start of the season.
      We think it's a reasonable direction to explore in, but in general it's hard to predict the results on the population distribution among the ranks. Hoping to do some simulation there and make sure there aren't other, better options, too.
      Is this really that bad considering legend has its own internal ranking system?
      Yes, I think so. Imagine just one bucket and we sort by MMR. There aren't breakpoints with rewards as you increase in skill. There isn't an obvious way to communicate with others about how good you are. It's also difficult to know if you are bad or good. (Is Legend 135003 good? What about Legend 27809?)
      The way we communicate our skill or progress is important. Ever heard a friend say "dude! I got to rank 5 this month!"? What is that achievement in a world where everyone is in the same bucket? Watching discreet rank buckets go by (and feeling that progression) and feeling the thrill of reaching a new rank that you've never hit before... those are pretty important, I think.
    • By Zadina
      The four groups for the group stage of the Hearthstone Championship Tour Finals have been announced. You can also win free The Grand Tournament packs by cheering on your favourite contestant.
      The HCT regional and last call champions were split evenly into four groups of four, with each region being represented in each group. Out of all the groups, Group A looks like it's going to be the most interestings. The BlizzCon opening week will begin on October 26 with the Group Stage.
      Meanwhile, you can vote for who you think is going to be the 2016 Hearthstone champion and win free TGT packs. The first voting period has already begun and it will last until October 25 at 11:59 p.m. PDT. You will win a single TGT pack just for participating in each voting period. Afterwards, you will receive one additional card pack from The Grand Tournament for every best-of-seven match your champion wins once chosen. You can earn up to 6 free packs if you participate from the first voting period and up to 4 packs, if you participate in the second voting period (beginning after the group stage and ending on November 3).
      It’s time to crown a World Champion, as well as time for you to choose your champion and reap some rewards! The culmination of the 2016 Hearthstone Championship Tour is nearly upon us! One player will emerge as the 2016 Hearthstone World Champion at BlizzCon and walk away with the quarter-million USD first place prize from the million-dollar prize pool. Now you can join in on the fun by choosing one of the sixteen competitors to root for, watching as they compete in the Hearthstone World Championship, and receiving in-game rewards for every best-of-seven match they win! Everyone will get a pack just for picking their champion, so don’t miss out!
      Click the button below to choose a champion, or read on for additional details. Just remember that you can’t change your champion after you’ve chosen!

The sixteen players that are competing in the World Championship have qualified from one of the Season Championships or Last Call Invitationals and will be representing the Americas, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and China. They travelled a long road and faced some of the best players in the world along the way, but now they’ve arrived at the pinnacle of Hearthstone competition. The players have been divided into four groups and will play out the group stage during BlizzCon Opening Week. From there, two players from each group will advance to participate in the single-elimination bracket at BlizzCon. 
      Cydonia, ThijsNL, Handsomeguy, Jasonzhou
      Bbgungun, Naiman, Che0nsu, Hamster
      Amnesiac, DrHippi, Yulsic, Breath
      HotMEOWTH, Pavel, DDaHyoNi, OmegaZero
      Full Groups and Bracket
      How to Participate
      To participate in Choose Your Champion, simply click on the “Choose Now!” button above and select the champion of your choice. Then, during Opening Week and BlizzCon, you can cheer your champion on and be rewarded with card packs based on how well they perform! Just for participating, you will receive one card pack from The Grand Tournament. Additionally, you will receive one additional card pack from The Grand Tournament for every best-of-seven match your champion wins once chosen. All card packs will be delivered to you in-game the week after BlizzCon.*
      Be very careful when making your choice, as once you choose your champion, you will not be able to change your selection.
      *Gnomish Homing Chickens used to deliver card packs may take a few days to arrive.
      Where to Watch
      You can catch all of the exciting action on the official Hearthstone Twitch channel! The Opening Week and BlizzCon schedules can be found below.
      Opening Week (Group Stage):
      Day 1 (October 26) – Match 1 Day 2 (October 27) – Match 2 Day 3 (October 28) – Winner’s Match Day 4 (October 29) – Elimination Match Day 5 (October 30) – Decider Match BlizzCon (Bracket Stage):
      Day 1 (November 4) – Quarterfinals Day 2 (November 5) – Semifinals and Grand Finals
      Voting Periods
      You may cast your vote starting now until October 25 at 11:59 p.m. PDT, when Opening Week begins. Voting will then be closed during Opening Week. If you happen to miss the first voting period, don’t fret! We’ll re-open voting after Opening Week has concluded and let anyone that missed out vote for a champion before BlizzCon begins. The second voting period will close at 11:59 p.m. on November 3, prior to the start of the BlizzCon bracket stage.
      If you have already voted during the first voting period, you will not be able to vote again during the second voting period as your vote will have already been locked in. You are only eligible to receive additional packs for any matches your champion wins after you have chosen them. If you vote during the first voting period, you can earn up to 6 total packs (including your participation pack) depending on how well your champion performs. If you vote during the second voting period, you can earn up to 4 total packs (including your participation pack).
      Choose your champion carefully!
      Once you’ve selected your champion, be sure to tune in to all of the action on our official Hearthstone Twitch channel, and discuss the tournament using the #HCT hashtag on Twitter and Facebook.
      (source) Cast your vote here and let us know in the comment section who you think is going to win this year! If you need any "scholarly" advice, this year's casters (including Sottle) have shared their predictions here.
    • By Zadina
      The new build adds 35 new dailies, buffs to Murlocs, bug fixes and preparations for future content!
      A new patch has hit the Hearthstone servers, preparing the ground for the upcoming Heroic Tavern Brawl and bringing new dailies, changes to Murloc cards, achievements and more!
      As we've already said, this build added some textures for the Heroic Tavern Brawl (which were datamined by Hearthpwn) and it also adds  the BlizzCon 2016 card back. Moreover, Murloc cards that affected ALL Murlocs now only affect friendly ones. There are also several bug fixes. Here are the patch notes:
      Blizzard Entertainment
      In this Hearthstone update, we're making balance changes to several cards and fixing several bugs. Read on for details!
      Ethereal Peddler now reads “Battlecry: If you’re holding any non-Rogue class cards, reduce their Cost by (2).” This was done to make it more clear, especially with upcoming releases. The following Murlocs that affected ALL Murlocs now only affect friendly ones, to improve the Murloc mirror-match. These cards are not eligible for a full dust refund. Grimscale Oracle now reads “Your other Murlocs have +1 Attack.” Coldlight Seer now reads “Battlecry: Give your other Murlocs +2 Health.” Murloc Tidecaller now reads “Whenever you summon a Murloc, gain +1 Attack.” Murloc Warleader now reads “Your other Murlocs have +2/+1.” One Night in Karazhan cards will now show up with the same frequency as other card sets in the Arena The following bugs have been squashed: Yogg-Saron, Hope’s End now properly applies the Overload effect when it casts a spell with Overload. Sir Finley Mrrgglton no longer offers Lesser Heal as an option of Hero Powers to Discover when played by Tyrande. Casting Entomb on a transformed minion will no longer reveal the minion’s identity if it gets drawn again. Gladiator’s Longbow now properly prevents damage caused by Explosive Trap. The following card back has been added: Welcome Inn – Acquired by attending BlizzCon 2016 or purchasing a Virtual Ticket for BlizzCon 2016. Many new daily quests have been added. For more information, including a more comprehensive list of bug fixes, please visit our Forums.
      (source) What are these new daily quests? Well, they were datamined (along with a lot of other stuff) by Hearthpwn. In total, the new dailies are around 35 in number! The 40 Gold ones involve playing 30 class cards for each class. There is a variety of new 50 Gold quests;  their concept involves around playing a specific amount of a particular archetype or kind of cards, like Play 20 Beasts, Play 10 Weapons or Play 15 Overload Minions. The 60 Gold quests require you to play 50 class cards. Lastly, there are two new 100 Gold quests: Murlocalypse - Play 75 Murlocs and Cry Havoc - Play 75 Battlecry minions.
      Other datamined data include three new achievements that award three Classic card packs each:
      Return of the Hero - Defeat the 3 challengers! Ready for Action - Play 30 cards in Play mode Back in the Game! - Deal 100 damage to enemy heroes There are also six achievements, awarding The Grand Tournament packs, that are tied to the BlizzCon promotion - we will discuss this in another article!
      Ultimately, a returning player challenge with three missions has appeared, as well as a possible Innkeeper challenge.
    • By Aexra
      So Blizzard gave us the opportunity to choose and root for a player during the HS World Championship 2016.
      You win in-game prizes for every win they get. Everyone gets a pack for just picking one of the contenders. 
      So who's your pick? 
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our N'Zoth Camel Hunter Standard deck.