L0rinda

hearthstone What's the Play? #1

16 posts in this topic

3Ven9ki.jpg

From time to time, situations come up in Hearthstone that are interesting to discuss. I thought I'd share the occasional one with you on here.

This position came up in a recent game of mine, and I thought it might provide a fun problem for some of you. If people like this kind of thing, I'll try to do more of them in the future. 

The Mage can fend off dying next turn in many different ways. The best of which is killing their opponent! This one is fairly gentle, so see if you can do it in 70 seconds, which is how long you'd have in a game.

2JewVlB.png

Did you manage it in time? Maybe there are more solutions than the one I found. Feel free to let us know in the comments below.

1 person likes this

easy

1) Sorcerer's App (2)

2)Flame Lance (5-1)  > Lion

3)Polymorph: Boar (3-1)

4) Boar Attack + Hero Power (2)

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, themuffinboyy said:

This + ping. Didn't take very long to find at all, though of course it helps immensely that you know there is a lethal. Not knowing there's lethal might've made this more interesting for me.

I enjoy 'what's the play' discussions though, looking forward to more of these.

Edited by PaasHaaS

9 minutes ago, PaasHaaS said:

Not knowing there's lethal might've made this more interesting for me.

That's a fair point, I could probably have just asked "What's the play?"

I confess to changing my mind at some point between doing lethal posts and "What's the play?" posts.

That being said, I don't mind it being easy to test the water. I'll look to vary the difficulty as and when the situations come up :)

1 person likes this

Play Sorcerer's Apprentice (Mana: 10>8)

Flame Lance the Highmane, (Mana: 8>4)

Polymorph: Boar your Sorcerer's Apprentice (Mana: 4>2)

Attack his face with your Boar. His life total goes from 5 to 1.

Use your hero power on his face. (Mana: 2>0). His life total goes from 1 to 0.

=Victory

Right play here is to play YoggSaron, get any combination of burn spells with right targets and make your opponent's life even more miserable.

it makes even more sense when you are at healthy 15

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Paracel said:

Right play here is to play YoggSaron, get any combination of burn spells with right targets and make your opponent's life even more miserable.

You might end up burning yourself :D

Ending the game in style either way.

22 minutes ago, Paracel said:

You tha real MVP.

Really nice, I like the idea, especially when I get to guess earlier (News submission, yay!). Definitely looking forward to more of these. 
Also, this reminded me of one old lethal puzzle. I wonder how many people here would be able to solve it (I definitely wouldn't).

24 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Also, this reminded me of one old lethal puzzle. I wonder how many people here would be able to solve it (I definitely wouldn't).

War song, fronting, axe, dread corsair, slam, kill 1/2 with patron, whirlwind gives you the maximum damage output. I'd never make a prognosis math in 75 seconds, though. :d

1 polymorph bore the highmane

2. Blizzard.

3. End turn. 

4. Then next turn I'd ping the 4/1 hound master. Play ethereal conjureer. I'd expect 2nd highland or call of wild. I'd have 2nd blizzard to freeze call of wild play. Or flame lance for second high mane. I'd hope for fireball or flame strike outta ethereal conj. for AOE assurance but if not then yogg. 

Neil, a piece of advice for the next one. I think you should list the cards in your hand, using the Hearthstone button :) Otherwise, it's a really good idea.

On 6/11/2016 at 3:44 AM, positiv2 said:

Really nice, I like the idea, especially when I get to guess earlier (News submission, yay!). Definitely looking forward to more of these. 

positiv2, this was pre warsong nerf right?

Is the play axe, berserker, corsair, warsong, whirlwind

attack belcher with 1 patron, slam one patron, kill belcher with one patron, kill slime with one patron

everything face including weapon for lethal?

34 minutes ago, SilentSword said:

positiv2, this was pre warsong nerf right?

Is the play axe, berserker, corsair, warsong, whirlwind

attack belcher with 1 patron, slam one patron, kill belcher with one patron, kill slime with one patron

everything face including weapon for lethal?

Yes, this was pre-warsong nerf.

Due to board being limited to only seven minions, you only deal 27 damage to the face, which is four off.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I think I have the math right. But no way would I have been able to figure that out in game......

1. 4 Mana: Play Warsong Commander and Frothing. = W: 2/3, F:2/4, P:3/2, P:3/2

2. 1 Mana: Play Fiery. Hit Belcher. Play both Dreads. = W:2/3, F:3/4, P:3/2, P:3/2, D:3/3, D:3/3

3. Run One Dread into Belcher. Run one 3/2 Patron into 1/2 Slime= W:2/3, F:7/4, P:3/2, P:3/1, D:3/3, P:3/3

4. 1 Mana: Go Face with 3/1 then Whirlwind. = W:2/2, F:13/3, P:3/1, D:3/2, P:3/2, P:3/3, P:3/3 

5. 1 Mana: Slam 3/3 Patron. Go face with everything = W:2/2, F:14/3, P:3/2, D:3/2, P:3/2, P:3/3, P:3/1

Total Mana: 8. Total Damage: (3 from Step 4) + F:14 + P:3 + D:3 + P:3 + P:3 + P:3 = 32. Lethal. 

EDIT: Dang. Not quite. Just realized I had the 3/2 patron in step 3 attack again in step 4. So it's actually only 29. 2 off lethal.

Edited by noirLapin