Advice for my Gear / AoE DPS Rotation

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I started playing again with legion and would need some advice regarding my gear.

I just wanted to know if there is a maximum value for crit that you stack up to?

Here is a link to the armory:

At the moment, I have the following stats ingame (not buffed):

28387 Int

58% Crit

7% Haste

16% Mastery

Should I just further stack and maximize my crit value? Or is there a cap where the stat priority changes?

I think my single target DPS is fine so far. But when I see my AoE DPS then I am not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Regarding the DPS of a DH or a Monk it seems that I'm dealing not that much AoE Damage. Not sure if other saw the same.

My rotation for 3+ Mobs:

Living Bomb on CD

Phoenix Flames if available

Cast Fireball, use Fireblast to gain procs

When procc avaiilable, use flamestrike

I repeat this rotation until there are less then 3 mobs. At this point I just start to cast Fireball and use my proccs / fireblast if ready

Anyone got some tips? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks a lot in advance for all answers. As I am not a native speaker, there might be some mistakes in the text

Edited by Numestor

The guide for fire mages is quite confusing here in it it states Meteor is good for AoE, but also that Cinderstorm is good for multiple targets.

My personal findings find that Cinderstorm is actually OP even in single target fights, if aimed right.  I'd recommend on fights with adds that are at least semi stacked, taking Cinderstorm.  Id open with living bomb, blinking up next to them, D Roaring, FB X2, Flamestrike, Cinderstorm.

Currently, crit maintains it's value due to Pyretic IncantationPyretic Incantation. Keep stacking Crit as much as you can.

If you want further help with the rotation, I'd suggest posting a log of some sort in an AoE situation.

3 hours ago, QuasiYolo said:

The guide for fire mages is quite confusing here in it it states Meteor is good for AoE, but also that Cinderstorm is good for multiple targets.

Not quite sure where the confusion stems from, but:

Kindling Icon Kindling is the go-to talent for raiding. A large percentage of Fire damage derives from your Combustion Icon Combustion, making this talent an imperative for maximizing ouput. Cinderstorm Icon Cinderstorm is strong on fights where you can regularly hit many targets, or where you would not net an extra Combustion from Kindling Icon Kindling. Meteor Icon Meteor is a good choice in situations where burst priority damage or AoE is most important.

• Kindling is your main talent for raiding and general encounters in EN. It is the strongest ST talent assuming you get an extra combustion.
  • If you cannot get an extra combustion in the fight due to duration, use Cinderstorm for Single Target.
  • Cinderstorm can be used for periods of damage where you can constantly hit targets with the spell (works on 2 targets, even).
  • Meteor is good for high burst, such as when an add or group of mobs NEEDS to die quickly, or when you are required to deal AoE damage. This is generally considered to be 3+ targets.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will be trying Cinderstorm within the next runs, will post a short feedback what I prefered (at the moment I was using meteor)

Thanks for your input regarding the crit value Blainie, I will be stacking more crit in that case.

Just another thought, I prefered crit / mastery at the moment as it is written in the guide.

However, is it ok that the haste value is 10% lower than the mastery? I'm thinking about to try to get some Crit / Haste items so that mastery / haste are little bit more balanced.

However, I'm not sure if this would be a good idea splitting between those "secondary" stats or if I should clearly go further for crit / mastery and just "ignore" the haste value.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Edited by Numestor

Sorry for the late reply! I think you can comfortably keep stacking Crit/Mastery, honestly.