liverbiird

hunter rotation, possible to do too many Aimed?

6 posts in this topic

Hello!
i struggle with Markedshot procs:( in general, so i know something is wrong with my rotation(cant be that unlucky)

at start of a fight iam allways top 3...but then i fall like a rock in water:(
so iam wondering if you can actually do too many aimedshot, wich will prevent you from getting proccs more often?
i actually get 3 AiS into a 5sec vuln...

compared to other hunters in my guild iam up to par when it comes to AiS but on barrage and marked iam way behind:(
i know i gotta be better at Barrage use, but the markedshot proccs really bug me:( I just cant seem to get em

any suggestions?

Yes, you can cast too many AiS.  The guide says that you sometimes have to lay off AiS (especially if Vulnerable is not up) so you can do some focus building.  Reread the guide.  You seem to have the opener right, but you have to be working in WB, MS and Barrage.  And that requires that you pay attention to your cool downs and focus.  (Vulnerable, SW, WB, Barrage, MS)  You don't want to let a MarkedShot miss the vulnerable buff, given its damage and refresh of Vulnerable.

Just spamming AiS means that you'll be missing out on all that other DPS.  Since AutoShot can proc vulnerable, casting AiS without it is not recommended unless you're focus capped/capping.

Yes, MarkedShot procs are RNG, and I know that in fights when I was raiding with my old guild, the lack of MarkedShot procs (compared to the other hunters) hurt my DPS.  I didn't get the free refresh of vulnerable, nor the MS damage, especially in AOE fights.

Basically, if you're constantly casting AiS (50 focus), then you're going to be focus starved and won't be able to cast a WindBurst (20 focus) , Barrage (60 focus) or a Marked Shot (30 focus) when they're off CD (WB, BR) or expiring (MS). 

Perfected, ideal rotaton looks like this: 

1. Cast as many Windburst / Barrage / other high priority abilities as possible during encounter.

2. Cast as many Marked Shots into Vulnerable debuff as possible. Incidentally, this number should be equal to the amount of "Marking Targets" procs you get, in addition to a maximum number of Sidewinders you can cast during Trueshot. 

3. Assuming you accomplish the first two, your next priority is to cast as many Aimed Shots into Vulnerable as possible.

4. Assuming you accomplish the first three, you can dump excess focus into Aimed Shots without Vulnerable. This is very low priority, and has a high chance of messing up the rest of your rotation. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're already capping on focus. 

Finally, obviously you want to accomplish all of that while taking as little avoidable damage as possible, and following fight mechanics always takes priority over dealing damage.

1 hour ago, Iridar said:

Perfected, ideal rotaton looks like this: 

1. Cast as many Windburst / Barrage / other high priority abilities as possible during encounter.

2. Cast as many Marked Shots into Vulnerable debuff as possible. Incidentally, this number should be equal to the amount of "Marking Targets" procs you get, in addition to a maximum number of Sidewinders you can cast during Trueshot. 

3. Assuming you accomplish the first two, your next priority is to cast as many Aimed Shots into Vulnerable as possible.

4. Assuming you accomplish the first three, you can dump excess focus into Aimed Shots without Vulnerable. This is very low priority, and has a high chance of messing up the rest of your rotation. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're already capping on focus. 

Finally, obviously you want to accomplish all of that while taking as little avoidable damage as possible, and following fight mechanics always takes priority over dealing damage.

Aren't 2 and 3 really kind of dependent?

If I get a Marked Shot Proc, I try to get in as many AiS in before hitting Marked Shot while Vulnerable is still up and is expiring,  and having enough focus to use Marked Shot.  This might just be 1 AiS because of movement or focus constraints, or as many as 4-5 (Hero/TimeWarp, TrueShot, LockNLoad).  

Using a MarkedShot proc after SW before any  AiS wastes the vulnerable buff refresh it offers.

3 hours ago, Eyeroll said:

Aren't 2 and 3 really kind of dependent?

If I get a Marked Shot Proc, I try to get in as many AiS in before hitting Marked Shot while Vulnerable is still up and is expiring,  and having enough focus to use Marked Shot.  This might just be 1 AiS because of movement or focus constraints, or as many as 4-5 (Hero/TimeWarp, TrueShot, LockNLoad).  

Using a MarkedShot proc after SW before any  AiS wastes the vulnerable buff refresh it offers.

They don't interfere with each other. You casting or not casting AiS has no effect on the amount of Marked Shots available to you. 

Nobody said anything about always casting Marked Shot before casting any AiS. 

Your priority is to cast as many as possible, not as soon as possible.

tnx for the replies guys:)
Ill work on my rotation

an yes i end up focus starved alot...but didnt expect it to have this huge impact on my dps:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now