liverbiird

hunter rotation, possible to do too many Aimed?

6 posts in this topic

Hello!
i struggle with Markedshot procs:( in general, so i know something is wrong with my rotation(cant be that unlucky)

at start of a fight iam allways top 3...but then i fall like a rock in water:(
so iam wondering if you can actually do too many aimedshot, wich will prevent you from getting proccs more often?
i actually get 3 AiS into a 5sec vuln...

compared to other hunters in my guild iam up to par when it comes to AiS but on barrage and marked iam way behind:(
i know i gotta be better at Barrage use, but the markedshot proccs really bug me:( I just cant seem to get em

any suggestions?

Yes, you can cast too many AiS.  The guide says that you sometimes have to lay off AiS (especially if Vulnerable is not up) so you can do some focus building.  Reread the guide.  You seem to have the opener right, but you have to be working in WB, MS and Barrage.  And that requires that you pay attention to your cool downs and focus.  (Vulnerable, SW, WB, Barrage, MS)  You don't want to let a MarkedShot miss the vulnerable buff, given its damage and refresh of Vulnerable.

Just spamming AiS means that you'll be missing out on all that other DPS.  Since AutoShot can proc vulnerable, casting AiS without it is not recommended unless you're focus capped/capping.

Yes, MarkedShot procs are RNG, and I know that in fights when I was raiding with my old guild, the lack of MarkedShot procs (compared to the other hunters) hurt my DPS.  I didn't get the free refresh of vulnerable, nor the MS damage, especially in AOE fights.

Basically, if you're constantly casting AiS (50 focus), then you're going to be focus starved and won't be able to cast a WindBurst (20 focus) , Barrage (60 focus) or a Marked Shot (30 focus) when they're off CD (WB, BR) or expiring (MS). 

Perfected, ideal rotaton looks like this: 

1. Cast as many Windburst / Barrage / other high priority abilities as possible during encounter.

2. Cast as many Marked Shots into Vulnerable debuff as possible. Incidentally, this number should be equal to the amount of "Marking Targets" procs you get, in addition to a maximum number of Sidewinders you can cast during Trueshot. 

3. Assuming you accomplish the first two, your next priority is to cast as many Aimed Shots into Vulnerable as possible.

4. Assuming you accomplish the first three, you can dump excess focus into Aimed Shots without Vulnerable. This is very low priority, and has a high chance of messing up the rest of your rotation. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're already capping on focus. 

Finally, obviously you want to accomplish all of that while taking as little avoidable damage as possible, and following fight mechanics always takes priority over dealing damage.

1 hour ago, Iridar said:

Perfected, ideal rotaton looks like this: 

1. Cast as many Windburst / Barrage / other high priority abilities as possible during encounter.

2. Cast as many Marked Shots into Vulnerable debuff as possible. Incidentally, this number should be equal to the amount of "Marking Targets" procs you get, in addition to a maximum number of Sidewinders you can cast during Trueshot. 

3. Assuming you accomplish the first two, your next priority is to cast as many Aimed Shots into Vulnerable as possible.

4. Assuming you accomplish the first three, you can dump excess focus into Aimed Shots without Vulnerable. This is very low priority, and has a high chance of messing up the rest of your rotation. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're already capping on focus. 

Finally, obviously you want to accomplish all of that while taking as little avoidable damage as possible, and following fight mechanics always takes priority over dealing damage.

Aren't 2 and 3 really kind of dependent?

If I get a Marked Shot Proc, I try to get in as many AiS in before hitting Marked Shot while Vulnerable is still up and is expiring,  and having enough focus to use Marked Shot.  This might just be 1 AiS because of movement or focus constraints, or as many as 4-5 (Hero/TimeWarp, TrueShot, LockNLoad).  

Using a MarkedShot proc after SW before any  AiS wastes the vulnerable buff refresh it offers.

3 hours ago, Eyeroll said:

Aren't 2 and 3 really kind of dependent?

If I get a Marked Shot Proc, I try to get in as many AiS in before hitting Marked Shot while Vulnerable is still up and is expiring,  and having enough focus to use Marked Shot.  This might just be 1 AiS because of movement or focus constraints, or as many as 4-5 (Hero/TimeWarp, TrueShot, LockNLoad).  

Using a MarkedShot proc after SW before any  AiS wastes the vulnerable buff refresh it offers.

They don't interfere with each other. You casting or not casting AiS has no effect on the amount of Marked Shots available to you. 

Nobody said anything about always casting Marked Shot before casting any AiS. 

Your priority is to cast as many as possible, not as soon as possible.

tnx for the replies guys:)
Ill work on my rotation

an yes i end up focus starved alot...but didnt expect it to have this huge impact on my dps:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ayne
      Despite playing BM ever since I picked up WoW five years ago, I never really participated in raiding or competetive gameplay as such. People were happy to take me along on raid runs from time to time (I was doing pretty okay in MoP I believe) but now in Legion I first started bothering with my own class performance since I'm more or less a regular stand-in for the guild of a friend now.
      Thing is just I don't exactly now how or what I'm doing. At all.

I have a rough idea about what I should be doing and what talents I should be taking for which boss depending on if AoE will be important or not, but I still feel like I'm slacking more times than necessary and I also very quickly run out of focus, which often has me standing idle until I can cast another skill. A friend told me to check Warcraft Logs - once again, I'm really inexperienced with numbers - and what it basically showed me was that my damage is very inconsistent but I don't really know why?
      I got pretty good gear upgrades yesterday (I know it's not fully gemmed and enchanted yet) so I don't know how my logs will look now but I believe my gear is less of a problem here. I'm someone who still forgets fooding and flasking up sometimes, and who's still very unconcentrated while the boss fights are going on and in doing so often hits the wrong buttons or forgets things are off cd already, but I'd still like to know if I'm on the right track at least.

tldr; I'd like to know how to get out of gawky hunter status to really pull my weight in pugs. you can see my logs here (I think) and my armory here.

My opening sequence is MoC > BW & AotW > KC > DB > Titan's Thunder (bc of my Legendary) > CS > KC etc, during the fight itself I always use KC and MoC on CD. BW is used off CD as well, but I do try pairing it with AotW whenever that should be possible. Rest is just dumping Focus with CS. Is there any occasion where I save my Focus, for example when my next KC is x seconds away? Also, with the Set Bonus I have now, should I just be Stomp + Blinking Strikes only?
      For my armory, I only have one question: I'm trying to go with as much Mastery as possible, but is there maybe even a cap that I should reach and then I'm actually supposed to take care of other stats? Also, I just got the Nightblooming Frond Trinket that has a few ilvls on the Entwined Elemental Foci I got from Raid Finder. Was it a good decision to replace it?

Thank you for your time!
    • By Elliya
      Hey guys,
      I am writing for DPS help. I am currently doing crap DPS pretty regularly. I was the top DPS in casual raids for a very long time with 870-880 gear. Around New Years, I was playing while very inebriated. I equipped a bunch of the wrong gear and sold the stuff I took off. I went through the Blizzard gear recovery to get back the pieces I vendored but they were rerolled (upgraded items that were vendored at 875 came back as the base level). I have since upgraded most of the pieces and increased my item level by 11. My DPS is worse now than it was almost 20 ILs lower.
      Issues:
      DPS - lower than it was when my gear and IL was much worse.
      Astral Power generation - I feel like I am generating Astral Power far slower than the other balance druid in raid.
      Rotation:
      I follow the recommended rotations, precasting Solar Wrath when able. Otherwise its Moonfire, Sunfire, New Moon, Half Moon, Full Moon, Starsurge.
      Gear:
      Besides what is equipped, I have Whispers in the Dark 880, Oakheart's Gnarled Root 885. I have 3 of the set pieces (Robe of the Astral Warden 880, Cloak of the Astral Warden 875, Hood of the Astral Warden 875) but they are all significantly lower in IL than my current gear. I have four legendaries, the two I am wearing,  Ekowraith, Creator of Worlds and Promise of Elune, the Moon Goddess.
      Armory:
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Zul'jin/Elliya/simple
      Logs:
      I used to out DPS the other balance druid in guid, Netcat. Now he destroys me.
      Spellblade Raid Personal
      Krosus Raid Personal
      Star Augur Raid Personal

• By DonLionheart
      Hello all,
      I don't know where else to go for help.  I've been struggling with enhance since the changes in 7.1.5.  Originally I thought it was a gear issue because I was performing okay on some fights in Heroic NH, but as I've gotten more gear over the past week, my numbers haven't gone up.  Here are the logs from my raid tonight: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/N8P9vaGYHCFbmtDA#type=damage-done&boss=-2&difficulty=0
      I had been using Windsong and Overcharge last week, but noticed that it was just not working out, so when I swapped to Tempest instead, my numbers were about the same, so I've been using Windsong, Tempest, and FoA, like the  Wordup guide says.  Here's a link to my Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Arthas/Donlionheart/advanced
      I've run a few sims, but I'm new to sims and I'm not sure I'm inputting the data right, so it's not worth mentioning the outcomes.  Basically, I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I tested out the Hot Hands talent on the dummy tonight after raid, and I did a Windsong test too, and for some reason, they were withing 10k of one another, with Hot Hands coming out on top.  Windsong seemed to give me a bigger opening burst, but I was higher more often and for longer with Hot Hands, though by the time I stopped after 4 minutes for each, they were so close it was barely worth mentioning.  Any advice is welcome, thanks.
      -Don
      P.S. I'm also using Chesder's (from MMO Champion) TellMeWhen strings, so maybe there's a problem with those.  If anyone has WeakAuras strings to recommend, or different TMW strings, let me know.  I used to use WeakAuras from another Shaman (a girl, I think the name was Corixa, but she doesn't make them anymore), and moved to TMW when a friend had some good strings.  Thank you.
    • By oktaykalfa
      Hello There,
      i'm having problem with my dps. I need to know what is wrong with me.
      Combat Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZRgB1bnXhjMP9yFm#fight=2&type=damage-done&source=28
      Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/grim-batol/Serrâ/advanced
      Thanks.
    • By Jorvalt
      So, I had a concern regarding the recommended battle cry rotation for fury warriors. It says to cast battle cry and avatar, immediately followed by Rampage, then Raging Blow, then Odyn's Fury. I feel like it would be a better idea to use Odyn's Fury before Raging Blow so that you can guarantee that Battle Cry doesn't drop off before Odyn's Fury is done ticking. If it does, some of the ticks won't crit. Thoughts?