Heartog

Interpreting your logs to find your weakness, Help

Sign in to follow this  

11 posts in this topic

So it is becoming painfully obvious that I am not pulling near what i should be. I just did two logs and am going through them to see where im going wrong and cant really see what the problem is. Wouldn't mind some people with a better eye for it taking a look. All I know is my DPS is low.

Logs: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dcXpFxCR86t24Jqh/#type=damage-done

Armory: 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Heartog/simple

Thanks for any help. Im just having trouble finding where I'm going wrong in  the logs or what to look for.

*Note* Skada and Recount both had me at 23.8k for the butcher fight not sure which to trust the logs or addons.

Edited by Heartog

First off, Log Comparison between you and me

You had 10 casts of BA vs my 11, with the 12th possible having just come off cd 1s before you killed him. 

4/5 casts of AMoC.

Delaying Coin for so long cost you a 3rd use.

Looking at total number of casts, I had 215 vs your 156 in the same amount of time.  With more uses of FS than you had.

0 casts of ES from 3:00 to 3:19, actually, it looks like you didn't do anything in this time period, and neither were you dead, so....

You focus capped quite a number of times, with a total of 124 wasted focus from FS.

You also didn't have a pet out.... EDIT: Looks like WCL hasn't merged the pets with their respective owners yet, this might take awhile and it does happen quite a bit it seems.  You'd gain ~2500 from this, but it still doesn't put you close to what you should be doing.

Edited by Orthios

Okay, first at all: Both of you guys are doing something terrible wrong: Not using Barrage nor GT. That's a DPS loss of around 2-3k. (Even if sims say so. Try it out.)

Besides from fucking up your priority list quite often, the only other big thing I can find: You're firing your ES too early. You've had 54 casts, which would end up in 162 ticks and you only had 133. Always time your ES so it doesn't overwrite the old DoT. (Don't mind this, I was wrong.)

Comparison if you want to check out how I'm playing (we're about the same gear level)

Edited by Arosk

Hi there, thanks for your analysis. Looking at the comparison has left me puzzled at how in the heck im short so many casts. The over focusing, missing out on my third coin etc are things I can pay better attention to and fix. What im left thinking though is how the heck Im leaving myself so many casts short. 

Okay, first at all: Both of you guys are doing something terrible wrong: Not using Barrage nor GT. That's a DPS loss of around 2-3k

Besides from fucking up your priority list quite often, the only other big thing I can find: You're firing your ES too early. You've had 54 casts, which would end up in 162 ticks and you only had 133. Always time your ES so it doesn't overwrite the old DoT.

Comparison if you want to check out how I'm playing (we're about the same gear level)

Whilst they have less ticks, you'll notice that their ticks will do more damage.

ES clipping was changed since mop and whilst the rebuff refreshes, the old damage will simply carry over instead of being overwritten.

Barrage is also a minor DPS gain on single target, definitely not the 14% you put it to be for them, or 10% for you.

Okay, first at all: Both of you guys are doing something terrible wrong: Not using Barrage nor GT. That's a DPS loss of around 2-3k

Besides from fucking up your priority list quite often, the only other big thing I can find: You're firing your ES too early. You've had 54 casts, which would end up in 162 ticks and you only had 133. Always time your ES so it doesn't overwrite the old DoT.

You are quite very wrong here. On a single target fight, barrage and GT are about 50-60 dps gains over not using your lvl 90 talent. This has been proven in simc a bazillion times, and if you look around, you'll find the posts regarding this. As for Explosive Shot, it has been a dps gain to spam it during LnL procs since the leftover damage is added into the dot when it is refreshed.
  • Like 1

You are quite very wrong here. On a single target fight, barrage and GT are about 50-60 dps gains over not using your lvl 90 talent. This has been proven in simc a bazillion times, and if you look around, you'll find the posts regarding this. As for Explosive Shot, it has been a dps gain to spam it during LnL procs since the leftover damage is added into the dot when it is refreshed.

You're right! Haven't played MoP, so I thought ES would be the same as in Cataclysm. Good thing to know, tho. (I already found it out myself, wasn't able to edit it in time, cuz the post had to be approved and I went to sleep.)

Sims are another thing. They are sims, nothing else. I don't know why, but I've tested a few fights now with and without Barrage and I always tend to do around 1-3k more DPS overall. Single target only of course.

Edited by Arosk

You're right! Haven't played MoP, so I thought ES would be the same as in Cataclysm. Good thing to know, tho.

Sims are another thing. They are sims, nothing else. I don't know why, but I've tested a few fights now with and without Barrage and I always tend to do around 1-3k more DPS overall. Single target only of course.

The sims might be "just sims", however, they do model real situations.  The fact that the sims do things perfectly and still only gets an increase of ~50 dps for FS SV says that in the game, the gain of using GT/Barrage would be even less.  If you are seeing a 1-3k dps increase by  using them, you are doing something wrong and I would be glad to go over your logs.

I'll upload some raid logs, but I don't think that will be before next friday. I don't want to take LFR logs or something. I know I'm doing some stuff wrong. Some focus capping, sometimes fucking op the prio list a bit and missing 2-3 seconds on a CD. For myself Barrage is working very fluidly into my rotation/prio list.

The fact that I'm beating my SimDPS quite a bit on Patchwerk bosses (Butcher) leaves me pretty confident that I'm at least doing something right. I'm still always open to try stuff to improve even more. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Arosk

Okay, first at all: Both of you guys are doing something terrible wrong: Not using Barrage nor GT. That's a DPS loss of around 2-3k. (Even if sims say so. Try it out.)

Besides from fucking up your priority list quite often, the only other big thing I can find: You're firing your ES too early. You've had 54 casts, which would end up in 162 ticks and you only had 133. Always time your ES so it doesn't overwrite the old DoT. (Don't mind this, I was wrong.)

Actually they are barely worth using, which is why there are being buffed.

I'll upload some raid logs, but I don't think that will be before next friday. I don't want to take LFR logs or something. I know I'm doing some stuff wrong. Some focus capping, sometimes fucking op the prio list a bit and missing 2-3 seconds on a CD. For myself Barrage is working very fluidly into my rotation/prio list.

The fact that I'm beating my SimDPS quite a bit on Patchwerk bosses (Butcher) leaves me pretty confident that I'm at least doing something right. I'm still always open to try stuff to improve even more. Thanks for your help.

You are beating the sim'd numbers, because the sim is your average over like a 7 minute fight.  Butcher gets raped in about 3 minutes, which drastically increases the %uptime of Bloodlust, Coin, Potions, etc...

Sim your character with a 3 minute fight, and the sim will increase the output by about 3k..

Edited by Minigun

Another butcher log from tonight :

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/A9vFa2HWf41QMGKr/#type=damage-done

Same old story with the lack of casts, I'm not really understanding whats going. 150ish casts again, I switched to LoneWolf for the fight just for the hell of it. Seeing the casts difference looks like I'm almost sitting there doing nothing. How high of an MS would really effect your dps? I'm running at about 100ms atm. Kinda reaching for what could be going on. The uptimes on ES,BA are a matter of me paying attention more but the casts are just something where I have no clue whats going on.