World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Expansion Overview (10.0.2)
Welcome to our Dragonflight expansion overview. The following guide covers all features that will be available in World of Warcraft's ninth expansion and other useful information including class changes and the release date.
Dragonflight Launch Roadmap — Pre-Expansion Update and Expansion Release
The Dragonflight Pre-Patch will release on live servers in two phases. Phase 1 will release on October 25, 2022, and Phase 2 on November 15, 2022.
You will find more details about the pre-patch and the pre-expansion event in our separate guide.
Dragonflight Global Release Times
|Americas (PST)||Europe (CET)||Taiwan (CST)||Korea (KST)||ANZ (AEDT)||UTC|
|12:00 a.m.||7:00 a.m.||8:00 a.m.||10:00 a.m.||11:00 p.m.|
|November 28||November 29||November 29||November 29||November 29||November 29|
You can now pre-order the expansion and receive various in-game goodies depending on the version of your choice. Evokers will be available for play in the pre-patch for those who pre-order the latest expansion. Please, visit the Battle.net Shop for pricing and more information about the items you will receive with your purchase.
How Can I Opt-In for WoW Dragonflight Beta?
For a chance to enter testing when it becomes available, do not forget to visit the official website and opt-in for beta.
Dragonflight Story Preamble
Following a period of calamity for the world of Azeroth, long-forgotten forces are stirring in the mythical Dragon Isles, the ancestral home of dragonkind.
As long-dormant forces begin to stir in their sacred homeland, the dragons of Azeroth — at times both allies and adversaries of the mortal races — call on the heroes of the Alliance and the Horde to help reckon with the looming threats and ancient mysteries on the verge of awakening.
Main Expansion Features
The Dragonflight expansion brings the following main features:
- New Continent: Dragon Isles — Journey to the new level cap of 70 and explore the primordial wonder and ancient secrets of the Dragon Isles across four new zones — the roiling Waking Shores; the vast Ohn'ahran Plains; the stark Azure Span; and ancient, majestic Thaldraszus.
- Dracthyr — A new playable dragonkin race with two customizable forms.
- New Hero Class: Dracthyr Evoker — Menace your foes (or empower your allies) as a Dracthyr Evoker, WoW's first-ever race/class combo.
- Dragonriding — An all-new method of aerial movement allows you to take to the skies atop a Dragon Isles Drake, which you will befriend in each of the four new zones as you level up. The drake can be customized as you progress, collecting more appearance options and unlocking new abilities that will enable them to fly farther and faster.
- Vault of the Incarnates — The first raid tier of the expansion where players can get their hands on Primalist Raid Tier Sets.
- Dragonflight Mythic+ Season 1 — The first Mythic+ Season includes a new dungeon rotation, the Thundering Keystone Affix, and new rewards to reap!
- Dragonflight PvP Season 1 — The first Dragonflight PvP Season adds Ranked Queue for Solo Shuffle, new War Mode gear, and other rewards.
- New Profession System Updates — Professions have been reworked with the introduction of player-driven work orders, new profession equipment, and a new specialization system.
The Dragon Isles are a new landmass available in the Dragonflight expansion. They consist of four new zones:
Learn more about the new zones in our zone guide.
New Playable Race: Dracthyr
Players can roll a new race called Dracthyr in Patch 10.0. The race is native to the Dragon Isles and has two forms — a Humanoid Visage and a Dragon Form. Each form can be customized separately.
Here is an early preview of Dracthyr forms and customization options.
New Hero Class: Dracthyr Evoker
Dragonflight introduces the first race/class combo in World of Warcraft — Dracthyr Evokers.
Dracthyr Evokers wield magic of all five dragonflights. They were created by Neltharion and provide a very distinctive style of spell casting.
You will be able to see the coalescence of these powers each time you cast.
The new class wears Mail and has two specializations:
- Preservation is the healing specialization that utilizes the healing power of the green dragonflight and its more nurturing spells while also using the power of the bronze dragonflight to manipulate time to accomplish feats such as healing wounds faster.
- Devastation is a ranged DPS-focused specialization that utilizes the fast explosive power of the red dragonflight and the more focused and overwhelming magic of the blue dragonflight.
The Hero class starts at Level 58 and will have its own starting zone on the Dragon Isles. Players can choose their alignment with the Horde or Alliance at character creation and will be able to take advantage of a slew of new customization options that allow them to match their dragon form closely with their humanoid visage.
You can learn even more about the Evoker class below.
New Race and Class Combinations
All races will be able to roll Mage, Priest, and Rogue in the Dragonflight pre-patch. This change results in 8 new race/class combinations.
As you make your way through the Dragon Isles, you will partner up with the dragonflights to move through the air. You will learn the Dragonriding skill, which you can level up over time. Dragonriding lets you defy gravity while using your momentum and skills to soar to higher heights and explore the Isles.
The drake you will receive is fully customizable.
You will learn more about Dragonriding in our separate guide.
Vault of the Incarnates Raid
Vault of the Incarnates is the first raid tier of the Dragonflight expansion that opens December 13 on all difficulties.
Learn more about the bosses that reside within in our raid guide.
Dragonflight Mythic+ Season 1
The first Mythic+ Season introduces a refreshed dungeon rotation, new rewards, and the Thundering affix. Mythic+ Gear will scale up to Mythic +20 with an additional Valor upgrade, and more.
Dragonflight PvP Season 1
In PvP Season 1, you can obtain a new set of War Mode gear from outdoor PvP quests. Ranked Solo Shuffle lets you earn Great Vault progress, and the new gladiator mount is an actual customization option for your Dragonriding drake! We cover all the important details about PvP Season 1 in our guide.
Vault of the Incarnates Class Sets in Dragonflight
The next set of Tier Sets will drop in the Vault of the Incarnates raid. We will get sets themed after the four elements.
A new addition to Professions are Crafting Orders. They allow you to request for another player to craft something for you even if you do not have the skill or have the right profession to do it yourself. You will be able to browse through any recipes that can be crafted, pick the one you want for yourself, and then include some or all the reagents needed for the recipe, including ones only you can get your hands on. You can either find someone in person who crafts the item in front of you or visit an NPC to send the order out.
In Dragonflight, you can let other players craft you Soulbound items. The crafting UI introduces stats specifically to your professions for both crafting and gathering.
Crafting tables for all professions will be added to the new city hub of Valdrakken.
You will learn more information in our overview of Profession changes in Dragonflight.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- 30 Sep. 2022: Updated with release date.
- 19 Jul. 2022: Added opt-in link and Alpha details.
- 21 Jun. 2022: Page updated with expected launch date.
- 20 Jun. 2022: Fixed typo.
- 10 Jun. 2022: Updated with new race and class combinations.
- 07 May 2022: Updated with Raid Tier Sets.
- 29 Apr. 2022: New pages added to the guide.
- 20 Apr. 2022: Various guide fixes.
- 19 Apr. 2022: Guide added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2