World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Expansion Overview
Dragonflight is World of Warcraft's ninth expansion revealed on April 19, 2022.
The following guide covers everything we know about the upcoming Dragonflight expansion.
Our guide will be updated with new information when it becomes available.
When Will WoW Dragonflight Be Released?
Dragonflight will release on or before December 31, 2022. You can now pre-order the expansion and receive various in-game goodies depending on the version of your choice. Please, visit the Battle.net Shop for pricing and more information about the items you will receive with your purchase.
Dragonflight Alpha Testing
Limited Alpha testing of the forthcoming expansion began on July 14, 2022 . Do not forget to opt in for a chance to be invited when the game enters Beta testing./p>
How Can I Opt-In for WoW Dragonflight Beta?
For a chance to enter testing when it becomes available, do not forget to visit the official website and opt-in for beta.
Dragonflight Story Preamble
Following a period of calamity for the world of Azeroth, long-forgotten forces are stirring in the mythical Dragon Isles, the ancestral home of dragonkind.
As long-dormant forces begin to stir in their sacred homeland, the dragons of Azeroth — at times both allies and adversaries of the mortal races — call on the heroes of the Alliance and the Horde to help reckon with the looming threats and ancient mysteries on the verge of awakening.
Main Expansion Features
This section summarizes the main features of the Dragonflight expansion.
- New Continent: Dragon Isles — Journey to the new level cap of 70 and explore the primordial wonder and ancient secrets of the Dragon Isles across four new zones — the roiling Waking Shores; the vast Ohn'ahran Plains; the stark Azure Span; and ancient, majestic Thaldraszus.
- Dracthyr — A new playable dragonkin race with two customizable forms.
- New Hero Class: Dracthyr Evoker — Menace your foes (or empower your allies) as a Dracthyr Evoker, WoW's first-ever race/class combo.
- New Race/Class Combinations — All races can become Mages, Priests, and Rogues in the new expansion.
- Dragonriding — An all-new method of aerial movement allows you to take to the skies atop a Dragon Isles Drake, which you will befriend in each of the four new zones as you level up. The drake can be customized as you progress, collecting more appearance options and unlocking new abilities that will enable them to fly farther and faster.
- Vault of the Incarnates — The first raid tier of the expansion where players can get their hands on Primalist Raid Tier Sets.
- Overhauled Talent System — Talent trees have been completely overhauled in Dragonflight, allowing you to make creative and flavorful talent choices at every level without compromising your effectiveness.
- New Profession System Updates — Professions have been reworked with the introduction of player-driven work orders, new profession equipment, and a new specialization system.
- New HUD UI — The in-game User Interface (UI) has been reworked and modernized.
The Dragon Isles are a new landmass available in the Dragonflight expansion. They consist of four new zones:
- Waking Shores;
- Ohn'ahran Plains;
- Azure Span;
Learn more about the new zones in our zone guide.
New Playable Race: Dracthyr
Players can roll a new race called Dracthyr in Patch 10.0. The race is native to the Dragon Isles and has two forms — a Humanoid Visage and a Dragon Form. Each form can be customized separately.
Here is an early preview of Dracthyr forms and customization options.
New Hero Class: Dracthyr Evoker
Dragonflight introduces the first race/class combo in World of Warcraft — Dracthyr Evokers.
Dracthyr Evokers wield magic of all five dragonflights. They were created by Neltharion and provide a very distinctive style of spell casting.
You will be able to see the coalescence of these powers each time you cast.
The new class wears Mail and has two specializations:
- Preservation is the healing specialization that utilizes the healing power of the green dragonflight and its more nurturing spells while also using the power of the bronze dragonflight to manipulate time to accomplish feats such as healing wounds faster.
- Devastation is a ranged DPS-focused specialization that utilizes the fast explosive power of the red dragonflight and the more focused and overwhelming magic of the blue dragonflight.
The Hero class starts at Level 58 and will have its own starting zone on the Dragon Isles. Players can choose their alignment with the Horde or Alliance at character creation and will be able to take advantage of a slew of new customization options that allow them to match their dragon form closely with their humanoid visage.
You can learn even more about the Evoker class below.
New Race and Class Combinations
All races will be able to roll Mage, Priest, and Rogue in the Dragonflight pre-patch. This change results in 8 new race/class combinations.
As you make your way through the Dragon Isles, you will partner up with the dragonflights to move through the air. You will learn the Dragonriding skill, which you can level up over time. Dragonriding lets you defy gravity while using your momentum and skills to soar to higher heights and explore the Isles.
The drake you will receive is fully customizable.
You will learn more about Dragonriding in our separate guide.
Vault of the Incarnates Raid
Vault of the Incarnates is the first raid tier of the Dragonflight expansion.
Vault of the Incarnates Class Sets in Dragonflight
The next set of Tier Sets will drop in the Vault of the Incarnates raid. Concept art hints at sets themed after the four elements.
New Talent System
The existing Talent System has been redesigned from the ground up. We caught a glimpse of the revamped Druid talent system.
The new system allows players to take combinations of spells that may not have been possible in the game before.
You can tinker with the trees to make a lot of changes whilst not necessarily feeling like you must fully commit.
The new system comes with talent loadouts that you can save for various types of content. You can have one build for Arenas and another one for raids.
We have a dedicated guide available on the new talent system.
A new addition to Professions are Crafting Orders. They allow you to request for another player to craft something for you even if you do not have the skill or have the right profession to do it yourself. You will be able to browse through any recipes that can be crafted, pick the one you want for yourself, and then include some or all the reagents needed for the recipe, including ones only you can get your hands on. You can either find someone in person who crafts the item in front of you or visit an NPC to send the order out.
In Dragonflight, you can let other players craft you Soulbound items. The crafting UI introduces stats specifically to your professions for both crafting and gathering.
Crafting tables for all professions will be added to the new city hub of Valdrakken.
You will learn more information in our overview of Profession changes in Dragonflight.
New User Interface
Blizzard has modernized the User Interface in Dragonflight and created a layout that lets you customize and move elements of the UI around your screen to better fit your needs.
The new update adds new functionality, improves accessibility, and makes aesthetic updates to the art.
- 19 Jul. 2022: Added opt-in link and Alpha details.
- 21 Jun. 2022: Page updated with expected launch date.
- 20 Jun. 2022: Fixed typo.
- 10 Jun. 2022: Updated with new race and class combinations.
- 07 May 2022: Updated with Raid Tier Sets.
- 29 Apr. 2022: New pages added to the guide.
- 20 Apr. 2022: Various guide fixes.
- 19 Apr. 2022: Guide added.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st