Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uthedicia

How to handle my affliction warlock

8 posts in this topic

Hello, readers from Icy Veins. I thank all of the souls who helped me with my last set of questions but I now turn to the warlock community for help with my next member I need to fix. This one is an affliction warlock by trade, with demonology as an offspec. Great guy, makes people laugh but is fairly consistent for being one of our lower performers. I'm looking for some tips and tricks, DoT uptime notes that I didn't get, and things that I can say to him in writing. 

Here is the armory, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/Animaus/simple

Here are a couple of logs for raid nights he was present on. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/c7mz29aGvCVykJdR/#type=damage-done&fight=3

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2c9wj4kQ7n68hpaN

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/J8aw6bKWXngrcdx7

These logs should have something from just about every boss on him apart from Thogar, in which I was a fool and didn't log him in the beginning. Anything you guys can give me would be heavily appreciated. 

he's opening with sb:ss, don't do that

only one pot

he capped shards a few times.

You'll have to get someone more versed in aff, but everything else looks fine to me.

Why is opening with SB:SS a terrible thing? Is it the soul shard cost? Does it make haunt harder to line up effectively?

Why is opening with SB:SS a terrible thing? Is it the soul shard cost? Does it make haunt harder to line up effectively?

2 Shards to open, 1 for SB, 1 for Swap.

There's no point to wasting a shards to apply three dots.

Why are you coming here asking for help then questions issues I see?

Answer by @Recklessfear is pretty much everything.

Can only add that his pure uptime numbers are a bit weak. Darmac fight is a good example - 62% on UA.
He is using too much Soulswap, a spell that is very controversal right now (i mean not really good).

I'm also questioned for a bit. 
Iron Maidens kill. Besides too big Soulswap and Soulburn count, I can see two different pets - DoomGuard and Observer both.
How and why is this possible? Doomguard has the interrupt too, there is no real need to go Observer at any situation given you use DemServ.

I was not aware of the Doomguard having the same, viable interrupt. It sounds like I really need to read up on warlocks. My astounding lack of knowledge is unacceptable as a raid leader, period. Thank you both for your input. I will get to work on telling him that and increasing my own knowledge pool. 

2 Shards to open, 1 for SB, 1 for Swap.

There's no point to wasting a shards to apply three dots.

Why are you coming here asking for help then questions issues I see?

I don't think he's questioning you so much as wanting to know the reasoning so that he can explain it to the warlock in question.

Hi Uthedicia,

Pretty much everything everyone said here is great and good advice, I thought I would just add in my two cents. I really only play affliction unless Demo is just clearly better on a particular fight. First things, Soul swap is a trap, it sounds so good but just isn't.

This is how my opener looks on many fights:

Prepot at 2 seconds > Trinket/Racial > Dark Soul > Haunt > Agony > Corruption > UE > Drain Soul until you need to refresh.

On fights where you open with Lust:

Prepot at 2 seconds >Trinket/Racial > Dark Soul > Haunt > Agony > Corruption > UE > Haunt > Haunt > Haunt > Drain Soul > Dark soul again 15 seconds into Lust > Continue to Drain Soul till refresh is needed.

I dump all my shards during lust because the regen is very fast. My rule of thumb is to generally hover around 2 shards, while NEVER capping shards. Nightfall procs are so slim right now that you can't afford to waste one because of capping on shards. Also 99 - 100% uptime on Agony isn't too difficult to pull off, its very important because of the stacks it does, if I am in danger of losing Agony I just interrupt Drain Soul at the bottom of one of its ticks. Our goal (or at least in discussion atm is to get enough haste to go SB:Haunt) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hjp
      Who are we?
      Volatile are a group of mostly ex-mythic raiders, looking to get back into mythic raiding. We cleared through Nighthold heroic a number of months ago and need some more people in order to jump into mythic. Besides raiding our friendly bunch of members enjoy running mythic+ on daily basis, helping out with world quests among other things. Our discord is usually filled with members for daily banter and weekly fun. If you enjoy all that, you most certainly will enjoy your stay in Volatile.
      Who are we looking for?
      We're primarily looking for ranged DPS to fill out the roster. At this time we are full on tanks and healers.
      Tanks - Closed
      Healers - Closed
      Ranged DPS - MM Hunter, Warlock and Shadow Priest but all classes will be considered
      Melee DPS - Closed
      Overall we're looking for people with a good knowledge of their class/spec who know how to improve their gameplay. Being fairly thick skinned and being able to accept constructive criticism, as well as the occasional jab from some of our more 'outspoken' members, is a big plus too.
      When do we raid?
      We raid two times a week as standard, we often have an additional raid day if necessary. See raid times below. 
      Thursday: 8pm - 11pm (Server time)
      Monday: 8pm - 11pm (Server time)
      Tuesday: 8pm - 11pm (Additional day)
      Application process:
      We believe the best way to get to know if someone is right for the guild is just to have a chat, rather than go through a long application process. So we'll have a chat, look at logs and possibly run some M+ to get to know each other. If you're interested in joining our mythic raid team, contact any of the following:
      Contact us:
      GM: 
      Xadel#2609, Xadel (ingame)
      Council: 
      Òops#2597, Drainphase (ingame)
      Passive#2900, Malenky (ingame)
      Ohajay#2606, Draconem (ingame)
      Hjp#21650, Phynn (ingame)
    • By Leturoa
      Just a quick question about the affliction guide. Why does it say to specifically sacrifice the felhunter? I haven't seen anywhere on why to sacrifice a certain minion. I haven't noticed anything different with the buff you get from it. 

Page in question - https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/affliction-warlock-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.

If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 905~ ilvl
      - 50+ traits.
      - 8 or more mythic kills in NH.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM.
      Mage: Frost.
      Warlock: Affliction.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Discover Grinder Mage Standard Un'Goro Deck.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Handlock Warlock Standard Un'Goro Deck.