FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Lcro14

I haven't played since 2005..

I have been doing research, not sure on if I should restart. Used to raid 20 hours a day. I have a life and career now, but I've always always dreamed of playing my Druid again. I believe it's an addiction. Raiding killed my college career, I liked it when I was taking my sweet time leveling. I never settled on a talent tree I simply loved the class all around, played kotg wc3 style support and crowd control. Miss it so much.

Anyone interested in selling me a return to game? I'd have to buy a new pc, that's for sure... Could I run it on a good laptop? Possibly on a mobile wifi? I drive a semi truck not home often...

Also I believe I need near 10 years changes to catch up on... :/. I read the WoW novel "Jaina proudmoore", that's what brought me back around. So I have some but not much lore caught up.

Thanks,

L

Hi!

I was playing in TBC as a ret pally. I've enjoyed it pretty much. Yea I was playing 10-15 hours a day. Meh I was young back then (now I have a job and a "wife" so w/e)

Then suddenly I'ves stopped playing and went to single player games and LoL later on. Now as MoP has been announced I came back to WoW. Altho I was watching my youtubers all the time so I was aware of everything in the game!

Now I'm playing as a mage. (Anyone remembers leveling a mage in TBC/vanilla? haha. Drinking/eating after every mob etc.) When I first logged in since MoP, I didn't even know what am I doing. Checked my talents and well... you know what I am talking about if you can recall the TBC talents haha. So yea everything is different now. But I like it pretty much.

Now I'm 22 y/o and I don't playing 15 hours a day. But I still like it. Sometimes I can only do some daily quests and that is like 20 minutes of a day.

If you going to return, well good luck I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it!

Edit: Just noticed I've forgot to answer your questions sowwy:

Could I run it on a good laptop?: Well define 'good' and we can help. But Since I have a very shitty laptop I guess you can. The CPU and the video card is the most important to play WoW I guess. But yea 4 gigs of ram minimum aint gonna hurt.

Possibly on a mobile wifi?: I'm pretty sure you can. Months ago I HAD to play on a mobile wifi and it was all good. 30-40ms. The the download speed was like 700kb/s, upload is like 150kb/s.

Edited by Enzyte

You should, at least, give it a try. You can try the game out for free until you reach level 20 (google: WoW starter edition). That will give you a good idea of whether you like the current state of the game :)

Also. Another factor bring me back is the iPhone app game "order and chaos" which is a straight knockoff of beginning WoW all the way down to character models. Was fun until I got bored quickly at level thirty. Game cost only 7 dollars and is all on touch screen and can kinda run on 3G service but still they had to cut it to a small skill base. Their lore is horrible.

You should, at least, give it a try. You can try the game out for free until you reach level 20 (google: WoW starter edition). That will give you a good idea of whether you like the current state of the game :)

I miss my Druid though I think my bc authentication cd key should give me some play time. Does the wow sampler give you access to all new races??

Edit: I bought BC before I quit but never installed it.

Edited by Lcro14

Players on Starter Edition game licenses have the following restrictions:

• Characters cannot exceed level 20, 10 gold, and 100 trade skill ranks.
  • Characters cannot participate in Pet Battles.
  • Chat communication limited to say and party.
  • Cannot send whispers unless the Starter Edition character is on the recipient’s friends list, or unless the Starter Edition character is replying to a whisper.
  • Cannot trade, create or join guilds, invite players into a party, create calendar invites, or disable experience gains.
  • Cannot use the mailbox or Auction House.
  • Voice chat and Real IDfeatures are disabled.
  • If there are login queues, the system will prioritize players who have full accounts.
  • Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for value added services (character transfers, faction changes, etc.).

When MoP has came out people with starter edition couldn't play as a monk, don't know if anythiong changed.

Edited by Enzyte

I miss my Druid though I think my bc authentication cd key should give me some play time. Does the wow sampler give you access to all new races??

Edit: I bought BC before I quit but never installed it.

I have a starter edition for the US servers and I can make a character of any race, including a Pandaren. Regarding classes, you can play any class, except for a monk (for that you need to upgrade to MoP).

Just joined the forum to post this Posted Image

You could always have someone send you the Scroll of Resurrection. Details here.

Basically, you could have your account upgraded to Cataclysm for free, boost one of your toons to level 80 (with it, getting appropriate gear for the spec/level), and get 7 free days of play to decide if you want to come back.

As for the laptop situation, hard to say how well it will run. I have a laptop I just got for my graduation brand new about a week ago, and it can't hardly run at 30 fps on low. But your milage may vary.

• Like 1

Just joined the forum to post this Posted Image

You could always have someone send you the Scroll of Resurrection. Details here.

Basically, you could have your account upgraded to Cataclysm for free, boost one of your toons to level 80 (with it, getting appropriate gear for the spec/level), and get 7 free days of play to decide if you want to come back.

As for the laptop situation, hard to say how well it will run. I have a laptop I just got for my graduation brand new about a week ago, and it can't hardly run at 30 fps on low. But your milage may vary.

This is very interesting. I recently petitioned blizzard with my license to figure out what name I used. I gave them my main's name, level, server. And possible account names and passwords I used back then. I got a response back within 10 hours with my desired info. Amazing customer service. That iPhone game has zero, they went for near two weeks with nobody being able to log on. All questions got ignored. I was shocked especially since I live 1200 miles away from my old physical address, and blizzard easily identified me with no questions asked.

P.s. could a good laptop even keep cool if I was playing on a battleground with possible 19 other pc's on screen at same time plus custom ui's and macros running?? I have no idea what is possible. I have been out of the technology scene for a decade... (I've had my iPhone5, first smartphone i've owned, for 6 months and am still finding new tricks it can do...)

I was 17 and wet behind the ears then, now I'm 27 and have a great country traveling job so I'm kinda limited by circumstances.

Edited by Lcro14

Back in WotLK I raided on a low-spec laptop. You can certainly do it, you will find though that the fps might be low in some of the more impressive areas (for example the new level 90-only zone). I found that the problems with fps tended not to come from aoe effects, so battlegrounds should be OK mostly. Just don't try 25-man raiding on an extremely low spec laptop. :)

I need more help. I'm looking at gaming built laptops and wondering if I really need that much power or not. I honestly don't have a clue anymore.

Is old content from previous ex packs still playable?

I'd like to see the play outs for Arthas, malfurion, illidan, magni bronzebeard's stories.

It seems like khadgar the Mage is still alive from what I've gleaned from the jaina novel, thrall too.

Have the naga and the old crazy elf queen trapped underneath the maelstrom surfaced in the storyline yet?

Is flying form shapeshift a combat viable skill? Can it even be activated in combat, or break combat and use it to quick move to better ground?

At one point or another. I heard they heavily increased the mana costs of shifting, is this true still?

Does shape shifting still break all immobilization effects?

Is it still an instant cast skill?

Can aquatic (seal) form do anything special except swim still?

Are there any underwater quests where it would find a niche and actually be exciting or useful?

What about entangling roots? Is it still even any use? I heard they make movement impairment breaking trinkets... How does the root mechanic hold versus high spell resistance? I honestly have no clue how spell resistance works either...

:) lol.

Edited by Lcro14

Old content is still playable and soloable.

Naga are around. There is a Caverns of Times dungeon that lets you see Aszhara before she became a naga.

Flightform is an instant flying mount, that is all. It can not be used in combat.

Perhaps they increased the mana cost of shapeshifting, I don't know, but its still cheap and you don't really change forms often.

Not sure if it breaks roots anymore.

It's still an instant cast.

Seal is still useless.

There is an underwater zone. Seal is still useless because you get a ridable seahorse that is awesome.

Entangling roots is situational. Can be used to CC melee mobs. Not sure how it is in PvP.

You get a talent that puts entangling roots on like 10 mobs at once, if they are close to you.

Also moonkins can ride mounts now.

Edited by Hareikan

Old content is still playable and soloable.

Naga are around. There is a Caverns of Times dungeon that lets you see Aszhara before she became a naga.

Flightform is an instant flying mount, that is all. It can not be used in combat.

Perhaps they increased the mana cost of shapeshifting, I don't know, but its still cheap and you don't really change forms often.

Not sure if it breaks roots anymore.

It's still an instant cast.

Seal is still useless.

There is an underwater zone. Steal is still useless because you get a ridable seahorse that is awesome.

Entangling roots is situational. Can be used to CC melee mobs. Not sure how it is in PvP.

You get a talent that puts entangling roots on like 10 mobs at once, if they are close to you.

Also moonkins can ride mounts now.

Also heard that other people can ride you in travel form during combat, is this true? Can you change travel form to a deer yet?

This answers quite a few of my questions, leaves me disappointed.

Do you remember the original version of quest to get seal form? The one where you had to swim and nearly died from running out of breath, that was a memorable quest. I died 5 times and was so frustrated.

Was hoping they'd given seal some more perks since then.

... Is it possible in a pvp situation to say you get in a bad situation; switch to cat, dash away, prowl, break combat, switch to flight form, fly low in some trees and pop up heal, then attack again with ranged spells from a better higher ground?

Edited by Lcro14

Also heard that other people can ride you in travel form during combat, is this true? Can you change travel form to a deer yet?

This answers quite a few of my questions, leaves me disappointed.

Do you remember the original version of quest to get seal form? The one where you had to swim and nearly died from running out of breath, that was a memorable quest. I died 5 times and was so frustrated.

Was hoping they'd given seal some more perks since then.

... Is it possible in a pvp situation to say you get in a bad situation; switch to cat, dash away, prowl, break combat, switch to flight form, fly low in some trees and pop up heal, then attack again with ranged spells from a better higher ground?

Aye, I remember the quest. I played a druid from vanilla to Cataclysm, then switched to a tankadin.

Your Travel Form is a deer by default now. If you get a glyph, people in your party can ride you. There's a glyph to get the old cat Travel Form back, but people wont be able to ride you.

As for the PvP question, it's unlikely you could do that. Prowl isn't useable in combat. While you MAY be able to break combat to fly away (assuming you are in a place where you can fly) you could probably manage to land in a tree and heal. Alot of effort for nothing though, you'd be better off just popping a potion.

Using your spells is pretty worthless if you are feral. You don't really perform other roles very well, except for the one you are specced as.

Edit: There is a level 90 talent that lets you perform other roles for a certain amount of time. For example, if you are a moonkin it will boost your healing for a short duration.

Edited by Hareikan

More fun to play guerrilla tactics and re appear behind them or disengage completely. But it sounds like the game has changed a lot. I'd root them and cat dash away hide and move to a different spot and start nuking with non directional star fire or moonfure and laugh as they'd turn circles searching for me.

It was a blast