Starym

Legion Has Sold 3.3 M Copies in its First Day

Sign in to follow this  

17 posts in this topic

qSwCfdk.jpg

Blizzard have announced the sales numbers for Legion's first day (including pre-orders) and it's 3.3 Million! That's the same number as Warlords had, which means we're probably looking at the subscriber base climbing back to 10 million.

For comparison, here are the figures for the other expansions:

The Burning Crusade - 2.4M First Day
Wrath of the Lich King - 2.8M First Day
Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day
Mists of Pandaria - 2.7M First Week
Warlords of Draenor - 3.3M First Day

Blizzard LogoBlizzard

With Azeroth on the brink of destruction, heroes from around the world were summoned to drive back the Burning Legion’s armies last week with the launch of World of Warcraft®: Legion™, the sixth expansion to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Today, Blizzard announced that players have forged a truly formidable defensive front—as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold through, matching the all-time record achieved by previous expansions and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games ever. In addition, World of Warcraft’s launch-week player concurrency climbed to its highest point since the 2010 launch of the Cataclysm expansion, as champions from around the world united to strike a mighty first blow against the fel invaders. But the battle has only just begun.

“It’s been a thrill to see players hunting demons, powering up Artifacts, and freely exploring all the new zones in Legion,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We worked hard to make this the best World of Warcraft expansion yet, and we look forward to providing players with even more content as Legion’s epic story unfolds in the months ahead.”

While players are currently entrenched against the first wave of demonic invaders, Legion’s next exciting chapter is already in the works. Last weekend at PAX West, Blizzard unveiled new details on the expansion’s upcoming first major content update, Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan, featuring a reimagined version of one of World of Warcraft's most popular raids. Players will explore a sprawling five-player Mythic dungeon, facing familiar foes from Karazhan’s past—and encountering plenty of surprises and twists along the way. The update also features a new set of quests unfolding over multiple weeks in the fallen night elf city of Suramar, as well as a brand-new raid: the Trial of Valor, which sends players deep into the vrykul underworld of Helheim.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greatCraft said:

With artifacts, I can see myself playing months on end. Should definitely prolong the life for many users ^_^

Agreed! I've been slow leveling my Warrior because I've taken the time to get the Priest, Mage, and Demon Hunter class halls and artifacts just to check them out. It's nice that each has their own quest lines as well.

• Like 1

Yup, I also like the lore very much! blizz is providing everything they've promised so far (and I think that will be the reason to keep ppl renewing their subscription), except class rotations, healing is still "spam this then spam that" kind of playstyle. As a resto druid I just spam heal in mythic dungeons and I never go oom. Hope it gets better in raids. I don't like it this way. But the atmosphere, lore and class hall is making up to it.

2 hours ago, mnime said:

As a resto druid I just spam heal in mythic dungeons and I never go oom. Hope it gets better in raids. I don't like it this way. But the atmosphere, lore and class hall is making up to it.

Not having played a healer class yet, I cannot comment on that, but I can easily, and wholeheartedly second your lore/class hall and atmosphere comment. 

There's nothing like feeling that your spec (initially) and then class is doing its part to stem the tide.  The stories have been amazing so far, with few exceptions, and even those are just not AS epic as the others. 

41 minutes ago, PatrickHenry said:

Not having played a healer class yet, I cannot comment on that, but I can easily, and wholeheartedly second your lore/class hall and atmosphere comment. 

There's nothing like feeling that your spec (initially) and then class is doing its part to stem the tide.  The stories have been amazing so far, with few exceptions, and even those are just not AS epic as the others. 

This is one of the coolest things IMO. We are directly impacting what is going on in the story lore-wise, rather than what we've seen before: we hit stuff, it nearly dies, a lore figure walks in and kills it. GG. 

I prefer it how it is in Legion.

The content is the best of any expansion. Cutscenes rock and dungeons are fun. I had mroe fun in wrath, but only because mroe friends were playing back then - hoping to change that.

4 hours ago, Ganktime said:

The content is the best of any expansion. Cutscenes rock and dungeons are fun. I had mroe fun in wrath, but only because mroe friends were playing back then - hoping to change that.

For me it's Suramar all the way. From the art to the story and characters, and also my utter failing at the scenario by trying to do it as DPS DH....

6 hours ago, Starym said:

For me it's Suramar all the way. From the art to the story and characters, and also my utter failing at the scenario by trying to do it as DPS DH....

Agreed on this. Suramar is breathtaking in every way possible. Probably has become my favourite zone in the game, to be honest.

On 8 de setembro de 2016 at 2:13 PM, mnime said:

Yup, I also like the lore very much! blizz is providing everything they've promised so far (and I think that will be the reason to keep ppl renewing their subscription), except class rotations, healing is still "spam this then spam that" kind of playstyle. As a resto druid I just spam heal in mythic dungeons and I never go oom. Hope it gets better in raids. I don't like it this way. But the atmosphere, lore and class hall is making up to it.

I'm pretty happy with not getting oom. I hope Blizz doesn't nerf  that. Specially since their raid mechanics always end up punishing the whole group for one mistake, and being oom in these situations is annoying as hell.

Edited by Valhalen

11 hours ago, Valhalen said:

I'm pretty happy with not getting oom. I hope Blizz doesn't nerf  that. Specially since their raid mechanics always end up punishing the whole group for one mistake, and being oom in these situations is annoying as hell.

At least for Mythic, it should feel punishing though. We should still have those "oh shit" moments where everything falls apart because of a mistake.

On 9/11/2016 at 1:29 AM, Valhalen said:

As a healer I only liked the way healing works in just one mmo so far, and that is Elder Scrolls Online, you talk about punishments :D you should try a dungeon in ESO, 1 mistake from any of your raid group and healers have to go oom to heal them up. But in wow you always have a cooldown or a trick up your sleeve to save the group. And that is just easy mode. (I keep hearing D.VA's quote in my head :p "Is this easy mode?").

Mana management imo is the coolest, most difficult thing a healer must pay attention to, otherwise you're just standing there looking at your hotkeys, or even worse your WeakAura alerts.

We started doing dungeons as soon as we got 110 and we were like "ok maybe heroic is harder" and then we did heroic "ok then Mythic should be more difficult!" and now we've done mythic "Now I swear Mythic+ will be challenging". let's hope that stops there and we see even great + difficult heroic raids, mythic raids were always hard but the gap between heroic and mythic was just big. 

Edited by mnime

11 hours ago, mnime said:

But in wow you always have a cooldown or a trick up your sleeve to save the group. And that is just easy mode. (I keep hearing D.VA's quote in my head :p "Is this easy mode?").

Tbh, I feel like healing in WoW is as difficult as you make it for yourself. If you ask your tank to pull slowly in a dungeon or bring 5 healers to a raid, your healers are always going to be bored. 

If you let your tank pull as fast and as big as he wants, you might find yourself with a challenge. The same goes for if you bring fewer healers to a raid, such as after progression when people start solo healing Mythic bosses. Healing is one of those things where you can bring so much artificial difficulty by simply making it harder for yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

Tbh, I feel like healing in WoW is as difficult as you make it for yourself. If you ask your tank to pull slowly in a dungeon or bring 5 healers to a raid, your healers are always going to be bored. 

If you let your tank pull as fast and as big as he wants, you might find yourself with a challenge. The same goes for if you bring fewer healers to a raid, such as after progression when people start solo healing Mythic bosses. Healing is one of those things where you can bring so much artificial difficulty by simply making it harder for yourself.

True, you can make it challenging for yourself but I like it when the game makes it challenging and not the players.

What makes Dark Souls series one of the best game series ever? its boss encounters, which is hard as hell. I remember I had to read boss strategies to defeat them in Dark Souls 1, which is so freaking impressive for a single player game imo.

Back in Cata, Blizz started to create difficult encounters, a lot of "one shot" mechanics (even in dungeons) that could wipe the group within a second. People started to cry so much that actually made Ghostcrawler leave blizzard for riot :D And then they released the most disappointing expansion of all time with lots of embarrassingly simple boss fights followed by WoD another digital embarrassment.

I'm not gonna go back to the golden times of wow! cause we all heard enough of tbc, Just compare a fight like Ragnaros ( even the normal was hard as hell) back in cata with a fight like Garrosh... it didn't matter how many healers you bring to Ragnaros. in these hard encounters if you fail the tactic you're either dead or you put your healer in a very hard position to save you, either way you're screwed :p

I don't know maybe there is a new generation of gamers that prefers easier encounters, maybe I'm getting old and should leave it :D

Edited by mnime

9 hours ago, mnime said:

"one shot"

I agree in that I absolutely love these. Personally, when I make a mistake, I love being punished for it. Iskar was a decent example of it in HFC. If you didn't know what you were doing, you could wipe the whole raid with the debuff. I liked it a lot.

I'm hoping for plenty of one shots later in this expansion :p

On 12 de setembro de 2016 at 7:14 AM, mnime said:

What makes Dark Souls series one of the best game series ever? its boss encounters, which is hard as hell. I remember I had to read boss strategies to defeat them in Dark Souls 1, which is so freaking impressive for a single player game imo.

But that isn't really good game design. When you have to make a huge amount of research to learn how to beat a boss it feels more like a chore than actual fun. Dark Souls isn't hard for the sake of being challenging, it is hard for being cheap; enemies swarm you while the clunky gameplay mechanic plays against you.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls is really fun, but if you wanna use a game that is hard as in challenging, I say the Ninja Gaiden games (at least the original Xbox and Ninja Gaiden II for Xbox360) are better examples. You don't need guides in those games, just learn the enemy patterns and react accordingly (something that does work in Dark Souls, sometimes).

As for WoW healing, my biggest concern with getting OOM is when the DPS stand on shit. You get punished hard because your party members are not paying attention and you end up wasting mana to save someone that doesn't deserve getting saved. Maybe that is just me getting salty over RDF, but still. It is indeed fun when you and the tank have synergy enough to make the pace fast, with the tank just pulling as they want and you just follow around with the heals; which is probably why I like Mistweaver Monks and Restoration Druids the best due their mobility.

I don't really like one-shot mechanics either because they fall in the same category of Dark Souls: hard for being cheap. I think WotLK had the best boss mechanics, which is periodic times of heavy damage, followed by a time where you could catch your breath and regain some mana. MoP had interesting boss mechanics too, which were really fun, but sadly way too easy. While WoD in general was a big disappointment, one dungeon caught my attention for being really engaging, which was Grimrail Depot. The constant movement of the dungeon with roaming through the wagons made it my favorite dungeon in the game. FUCKEN TRAINS, MENG.

16 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Grimrail Depot.

Being able to do that challenge mode in a few minutes was amazing. It was so satisfying after being terrible at it during the start of the expansion.

Soul Capacitor ftw.