FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aegis

Mythic raid tanking as a dk - thoughts?

I'm considering running mythic raids, but was abit doubtful - blood dks and bad passive mitigation don't seem to play nice with the highest difficulty levels. Anyone able to grant some insight on this? What should be the minimums I should be looking for in stats before doing it? My armory is linked in my profile. Any feedback/comments, especially for current tier mythic raid blood dks would be very much appreciated. 

Hey Aegis,

first off, Blood DK's can definetly tank those Mythics Raids, dont let people tell you otherwise. Druids tend to spread myths about more passive mitigation and also their strong self heal but in a normal raid, you could easiely outheal bad healer as a DK. Even its not really fair, i substract my Healing-done the damage received, and compare that to the other tanks. (Not fair because in spike damage you could have easily have died, but not any more with our new buff at 7.1)

Second, i think you need to reevaluate your gear. You have way too much crit. Did you check Ask mr robot and played a little with your gear? Also your trinkets aren't the best ones for survival, and thats what you want in Mythic. 

The PE is a nice roll, so you would probably keep this one. The Ursoc on is crap in my opinion. The best one is probably is the one from Arcway(Nightwell residue). Its so much absorb (~3Mil Dmg in a H Ursoc fight, whats about 2.3% less dmg). The other trinket i really really like is the Darkmooncard. (Now ilvl.855) adds so much Armor it really pays off, speaking about passive mitigation.

Also with the reintroduction of Icebound Fort. we get buffed quite a bit. 

Edited by Aquilae

9 hours ago, Aquilae said:

^This. Truly tanking with blood in current content the only fight we had a little trouble on was Cenarius. With the return of icebound fortitude we now can handle him no problem. Blood requires a bit of stat balance but overall we are very solid tanks. Honestly the icebound fortitude thing really sort of bandaid fixed many issues. We had some down time where we could get shredded but now we have our strong "oh sh1t" button back.

That being said we are very durable and with specific artifact traits use properly can do quite a bit of dps. So, def don't worry about raiding as tank. We can do it very well and even with some incoming nerfs can now do it better than some others :D. Also i think blood is just really fun to play. Guardian tanking is bearly any fun at all.

He was spec'd for crit as unholy when I checked.

But I think 22-25% crit is the sweet spot. Whatever gets your parry up to 20%.  With mythic tuned raid gear i can forsee crit naturally going up to 26 or 27% due to gear drop variation but the parry benefits are not 1 to 1, so, id keep that in mind.

Parry/crit saves a blood shield and does better the harder you are hit, whereas mastery scales only with gear and stamina a lil bit. But it grants a smoother damage intake.  At mythic levels though, idk, a boss might sneeze and pop your blood shield...

But IBF is stronk.

19 hours ago, Aquilae said:

Hey Aegis,

first off, Blood DK's can definetly tank those Mythics Raids, dont let people tell you otherwise. Druids tend to spread myths about more passive mitigation and also their strong self heal but in a normal raid, you could easiely outheal bad healer as a DK. Even its not really fair, i substract my Healing-done the damage received, and compare that to the other tanks. (Not fair because in spike damage you could have easily have died, but not any more with our new buff at 7.1)

Second, i think you need to reevaluate your gear. You have way too much crit. Did you check Ask mr robot and played a little with your gear? Also your trinkets aren't the best ones for survival, and thats what you want in Mythic. 

The PE is a nice roll, so you would probably keep this one. The Ursoc on is crap in my opinion. The best one is probably is the one from Arcway(Nightwell residue). Its so much absorb (~3Mil Dmg in a H Ursoc fight, whats about 2.3% less dmg). The other trinket i really really like is the Darkmooncard. (Now ilvl.855) adds so much Armor it really pays off, speaking about passive mitigation.

I know about the self-healing. I regularly out heal most of the healers in heroics (on elerethe heroic I believe I pulled 243k hps) 

I disagree with having too much Crit. I was going with a more haste heavy build, and was getting smacked around quite a bit. This latest raid, I swapped some Crit pieces in, and there's a noticeable reduction in ehrps . I also liked unbridled fury cause of the small emergency oh-shit - now with ibf back I'm reconsidering it in favor of either a Grotesque statuette or a chrono shard. We'll see how that goes. I was hoping for arcanocrystal , but sadly RNGesus decided no.