Zadina

Necromancer Image Leaked

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

Xul-the-Necromancer.jpg

A few hours ago, the official artwork concept for the Necromancer was leaked on Reddit. What could it mean?

With so many leaks lately, there might be no surprises to look forward to for BlizzCon 2016! u/Metalexe posted earlier on Reddit an image from an official Blizzard webpage showing a male and a female Necromancer. Since the link may not open for everyone, here is the imgur mirror:

UCMYGRO.jpg

The legitimacy of this image is undeniable. The same person also leaked an official artwork image for Sombra, the upcoming Overwatch hero. The mere fact that both of these images originate from an official Blizzard site proves their authenticity. We see from the link's name that the image is meant to be presented during BlizzCon 2016.

What could this mean for the Diablo franchise? Well, the most obvious answer is that the Necromancer is coming to Diablo 3, since both a female and a male Necromancer are depicted in the picture (in Diablo 2 the Necromancer was originally male only). The problem is that there is already a similar class in Diablo 3: the Witch Doctor. Blizzard has stated that the Witch Doctor was never meant to replace the Necromancer, but the gameplay similarities are quite obvious.

Since the Necromancer was one of the iconic features of Diablo 2, this image also strengthens the Diablo 2 HD theory. The Necromancer could possibly be present in a future Diablo game, too. However, the other option is that this image may mean nothing at all. As you know, there is a Necromancer in another Blizzard game: Xul in Heroes of the Storm (depicted in the header image). Perhaps this image is just meant to be shown in an artwork panel and there is no hidden meaning behind it.

What do you think? How do you feel about the prospect of the Necromancer reappearing in the Diablo universe?

• Like 1

My take on it, as someone who had Diablo (the original) when growing up, never liked Diablo 2 (I know I am a heretic, please don't burn/scold me too much) and finally got into Diablo more with the third installment... but rather late.

For me the fact that you encounter a necromancer in Diablo 3 as a NPC has always been quite weird. I know that the necromancer was the pet-class so to speak from Diablo 2 but... everything I have ever seen of it, it has never been a 'pet' class per say but rather what would appear like a 'swarm'-class. Think of it like Anub'arak from Warcraft 3; he may have summoned a whole lot of scarabs with a limited duration on them and the fact that they appeared from corpses and the amount you summoned... Anub'arak and the necromancer's concept has to me always seemed very similar. The witch doctor feels more like a hunter from World of Warcraft or just some random old hippie who found a dog and then decided to raise a doggy family... all whilst being high on toxins.

As someone who never experienced the Necromancer, I don't have any way to compare it to how it used to work but I can see the prospect of a new more 'swarm'-like class in Diablo 3. Especially one that interacts perhaps more with corpses in some way of which the necromancer due to well, 'necromancy' would probably do.

So if it is going to be a case of the necromancer being introduced to Diablo 3... probably gonna be some kind of a rework and is probably going to be quite exciting for new players such as myself but might lead to infuriating or pissing off old veterans most likely. At least this is the only way I can make 'sense' out of how this particular class could ever work in a updated Diablo 3.

It's still keeps things more or less in the same camps

Diablo 2 remake

Diablo 3 Xpac

Diablo 4

Of the three possibilities i like 1 and 3 best. I love Diablo 3 but its getting a bit stale. So i'm hoping its just not another xpac. However, if it is hopefully there will be enough new to spice it up. I felt Westmarch was sort of uninspired ACT 5, so if we are getting an ACT 6 i'd like to see a lot more variety and stuff in it then just grey buildings. Beyond that it would be really weird to keep D3 the same and just add a new playable class out of the blue. 

IF this is Diablo 3 related, maybe they will use Xul from Heroes of the Storm (who is the same Necromancer in Diablo 2) as a base for the new character and gameplay, making him more Melee oriented than the Witch Doctor. Who knows? The Necromancer could take a different route as being a "Melee-Mage" with various forms of stackable debuffs in the form of the Curses and being able to summon different kinds of skeleton warriors and Golems.

Or this is something for Diablo 4. Either way I'm very hyped about it.

Edited by Valhalen

I think we'll get an expansion. Member Crusader getting released with Reaper? A new class is imo classified as an expansion addition and something big like that wouldn't come with just a content patch.

I also think he will be more melee-oriented, pretty much like Xul look at the difference between WoW's DH & Diablo's DH. It's completely different.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it's between a Diablo 3 exp or D2 HD. Between the 2.....it's hard to say. Anniversary gears it up for the latter but I feel like they wouldn't be doing this kind of drawing for D2 HD.

I'll be happy to see either happen tbh.

• Like 1

I'm with Demonardvark. D2 HD remake, D3 expansion, or D4.

I'm seriously hoping for a D4 announcement, but that would be a HUGE announcement. If it is a D3 expansion I hope it comes with a decent graphics update, and some new gameplay mechanics, and not just a new class and a new act.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 7:33 AM, demonardvark said:

It's still keeps things more or less in the same camps

Diablo 2 remake

Diablo 3 Xpac

Diablo 4

Just because you want D4 to come out does not make it a reasonable guess. It is certainly NOT going to be D4. In my opinion, it is going to be a D3 expansion but not like Reaper of Souls. I have a feeling that is will be more like a Starcraft 2 mission expansion. 

One class in the ROS expansion was weak and did not follow the LOD expansion model. It is possible that they intended to bring out the Necromancer at that time but were unable to for some reason. All the free content that has been added since ROS could simply be the remnants of what was actually supposed to be in that expanse but that was not ready in time. It could also be that a second expansion is actually going to come out as originally assumed but they have to patch the game to match up with that content and they are doing it slowly over time. Who knows really but large content releases usually have a good amount of publicity for many months or years ahead of time and this has not happened.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Blizzard is currently working on some behind-the-scenes updates for Diablo 3. While there is no new content on this PTR, there's a fair amount of risk to deploy them to live servers without testing. The chance to find Legendary items has been increased by 2,000% for testing purposes on the PTR.
      Blizzard (Source)
      We are working on some behind-the-scenes updates. Since some of these involve a fair amount of risk, we need your help testing them before we deploy them to the live servers!
      Join us starting today, January 16, for a special PTR that includes these updates. Along with this, we are looking for reports of issues that occur when players attempt to start or join a multiplayer game, or communicate with other players through in-game chat.
      We encourage players of all types to participate, so what are you waiting for? Download that PTR and hop right in!
      A few important notes:
      There is no new content included on this PTR. While you will be able to copy your existing characters, we will also be activating the 2000% Legendary Find buff to encourage participation. As a reminder, any progress made on the PTR does not transfer over to your live account. Since this PTR is exclusively focused on identifying and fixing bugs related to the issues noted above, we will only be opening the Bug Report forum during the testing period. Over the course of the PTR, server performance may vary. This PTR will only be available for a limited time, and we’d greatly appreciate all the help we can get in testing it quickly and with as many participants as possible! We hope you have some time to help us out. If you need more information on how to participate on the PTR, visit our FAQ or see below for details.
      How to Participate PTR Character Copy Thank you, nephalem, and we’ll see you in Sanctuary!
      HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
      To participate in the public test, you must have a Diablo III game license attached your Battle.net account in good standing (i.e. it hasn't been suspended or banned). In addition, you will also need to download and install the Battle.net desktop app if you have not already done so.
      Step 1: Create a PTR account. To create a PTR account, log in to Battle.net Account Management and double-click on your Diablo III game license; this will bring you to the game management page. On this page, click "Create a PTR account." 
      If you've participated in any previous Diablo III PTR (including the Reaper of Souls beta), the "Create PTR account" button may not appear. This is because you've already created a PTR account and can therefore skip this step.
      Step 2: Once you have created a PTR account, installed the Battle.net desktop, and logged in with your Battle.net credentials, select "Diablo III" from the main menu on the left-hand side of the application.
      Step 3: On the Diablo III screen, there is a drop-down menu right above the "Play" button (note that this may say "Install" if you do not have Diablo III currently installed). Select "PTR: Diablo III" from this drop-down menu before proceeding.
      Step 4: You should now have the option to install and play the PTR.
      The PTR is available in all supported languages, and accounts from all regions are eligible to participate.
      PTR CHARACTER COPY:
      The option to copy your existing Diablo III characters from your live account to the PTR will be available and can be done directly through the PTR client. However, only one region per account can be copied at a time. So, if you choose to copy characters from your account in a different region, any previously copied PTR characters will be lost.
      Step 1: Log into the live game and then log out.
      Step 2: Log into PTR client and create a level 1 character. After you're done, return to the main character screen.
      Step 3: Click on the "PTR Copy" button located in the upper right-hand corner. (The PTR Copy button will not appear in-game until you have created a new level 1 character.)
      Step 4: Select your region.
      Step 5: Click "Copy." This will copy all characters on your account from the selected region.
      Step 6: You will be disconnected from the PTR client.
      Step 7: Log back in. Your copied characters will be available for play.
      Please note that you can only copy characters from one gameplay region at a time. If you choose to copy characters from a different region, any previously copied PTR characters will be lost. In addition, you can only copy characters over to your PTR account once every 24 hours. Attempting to copy characters before this cooldown is up will result in an error.
      As this is a test server, please anticipate uneven game performance, and note that restarts and downtime may occur without warning.
    • By TipeaPeti
      Hi all!
      New set item is better than the old one or the item's sinergy don't work well with the old set items? I know, my question is strange, but what is the common opinion? I know all the patch notes have info for set item changes, old ones have the new set stats, all set item is up-to-date in normal.
      But my Akkhan Crusader build is not working well. I have a new  Frydehr's Wrath & Blade of Prophecy . I have 1892paragon, have a good gear, good stats, right skills+passives, high leg.gems, cube is ok, caldesans etc. My dps is almost 4mill, but the solo 104 is my maximum (in a very good gr map).
      New ones is better like old ones? This is possible? Anyone in same feeling?
    • By Stan

An exploit involving the Legendary item Bone Ringer was recently discovered and as a result, Blizzard has temporarily disabled its Legendary power until a hotfix goes live and corrects the issue.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Hey all,

We recently investigated reports of an issue involving Bone Ringer. As a result, we will be temporarily disabling the item’s Legendary power until a hotfix can be prepared to correct the issue. We will update this thread once the hotfix is live.

Special thanks to the players who reported this, and to everyone for their patience as we work on a fix.
    • By Stan

Blizzard fixed an issue with the crafting recipe for Wirt's Leg, which is available from the anniversary event. Using the recipe will correctly produce a Legendary item which yields a unique material when salvaged.
      The portal to Old Tristram is now open and the event ends January 30. Don't forget to check out Deadset's detailed anniversary guide.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Hey all,

We recently hotfixed a bug affecting the crafting recipe for Wirt's Leg. With this change, using the recipe will correctly produce a Legendary (rather than Magic) item which yields a unique material when salvaged. Old versions of the item will salvage into Arcane Dust instead.

If you’ve already given the Wirt’s Leg recipe to Haedrig, it will still appear to be a Magic item in your crafting list, but crafting a new one will yield a Legendary item as intended.

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue!
    • By Stan

Diablo's anniversary marks the return of the Darkening of Tristram event. Earn unique transmogrification effects, achievements, portraits, pets, and more.
      The Darkening of Tristram will be available from January 1 through January 30.
      The portal to Old Tristram will open on January 4.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Saw the confusion pop up and wanted to hop in to reaffirm this! Apologies for not reiterating this information in the blog; we'll get that updated as soon as the rest of us are back in office. 

Again, just to be clear: only the pre-cursor event (roaming cultists in Adventure Mode) is currently available. The portal to Old Tristram will open on January 4th. Don't forget to check out Deadset's Complete Anniversary Guide for more details about the event.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Diablo’s anniversary is right around the corner, along with the Darkening of Tristram event! Whether you’re a series veteran craving nostalgia, or a newcomer hungry for your first taste of the franchise’s past, this loving homage to the earliest days of Diablo is for you.
      Read on for more, including a closer look at the anniversary dungeon and its unique rewards.

Stop the Cultists
      Your journey begins on the trail of a group of mysterious cultists causing trouble in Sanctuary. As you hunt them down in Adventure Mode, you’ll uncover clues leading to a portal into Tristram’s past, and the terrifying darkness that took hold of the town so many years ago. . . .

Explore the Cathedral
      Follow the clues and you’ll soon find yourself in a realm of glorious RetroVision™, where an all-too-familiar cathedral looms. Explore the depths and you’ll discover familiar enemies and iconic items, all brought to life in the Diablo III engine. Meanwhile, deep beneath the catacombs, the Dark Lord himself awaits any intrepid adventurer who dares to challenge him. . . .

Discover Precious Loot
      What is a Diablo game without shiny new loot to call your own? Completing activities in the anniversary event yields unique transmogrification effects, achievements, portraits, pets, and more.
      While some rewards are easy to find, others may have you scouring every nook or unlocking every achievement before you can get your hands on them. Can you earn them all? There’s only one way to find out!

Your Journey Begins…
      Exclusive rewards and challenging enemies await you, but they won’t last forever! The anniversary event begins January 1 at midnight PST and ends January 30 at the same time. Enter the dungeon, reap your rewards, and survive the evils within—or die in the process, never to be heard from again. . . .