Damien

Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard

35 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard Build Guide.

Works great! Question though - what is the "9 frame breakpoint" mean in terms of actual attack speed percentages we're looking for? I know the sheet doesn't actually show the sum of the attack speed just the weapon attack per second, and that electrocute has its own specific attack speed. I just don't know how to figure out if I have hit the 9 frame breakpoint? If there are 32 fps, doesn't that mean 3 attacks per second? 

Now this is the build that finally brings Wizard to it's feel, ranged playstyle and good direction. Thanks for this. Archon really needs to be nerfed and skills like hydra, frozen orb brought back to life

This looks like an interesting build, but I'm a little bit confused about your mention of Manald Heal damage since it doesn't have any legendary affix - what do you mean by the Manald Heal damage?

19 hours ago, Guest Brink said:

This looks like an interesting build, but I'm a little bit confused about your mention of Manald Heal damage since it doesn't have any legendary affix - what do you mean by the Manald Heal damage?

Manald heal got an affix in patch 
'Enemies stunned with Paralysis also take 13000–14000% weapon damage as Lightning.'

I really enjoy this build because I'm just plain sick of archon builds everywhere.  I do have some suggestions to anyone that's using this for DB farming though.  

First off, my first impression of the DB build is that it seemed more like a ranged build, yet takes Audacity as a passive and I honestly can't see any good reason to put yourself close to anything with Electrocute/Manald Heal as the primary dmg dealer so I suggest taking Power Hungry.  Along with that, using Storm Armor for +movement speed seems pointless when using Aether Walker and Shame of Delsere. You can literally teleport everywhere and you will never run out of power while spamming electrocute. Plus, if you're following the guide and have Traveler's Pledge/Compass Rose, then you will always have the 100% dmg bonus up (maybe dropping down to 95% for a split second after finishing teleport).  This will also keep your 6 set Tal Rasha bonus active. Explosive blast and frost nova can be switched around because after the initial cast you shouldn't have to refresh the Tal Rasha bonus, meaning any fire/cold spell with utility can be used.  Finally, I dislike the choice of Pain Enhancer for a gem, as the attack speed bonus requires close range, but using Zei's Stone of Vengeance in place of it is a very nice substitute.  

One last thing to mention is that using the DB build as ranged made it much easier for me to swap out either defensive bracer choice in the guide for some Nemesis Bracers.  I believe this should be a feasible swap for most people because I don't think my gear is especially good and I'm sure people have much higher paragons than I (519). Using these changes, I was clearing TX rifts in a 4-person group very easily.

Edited by Anakha00
Grammar corrections

Love this build but can't seem to avoid the arcane torrent channeling distance and no damage bug.  Can anybody share what they do to stop it?  Does quick casts and shorter channeling work better?

I'm trying to test out some variations of this build with D3Planner, and I can't seem to figure out how it's reporting damage from Manald Heal, if it is at all.  There's nothing listed in the simulation results for Manald Heal, and if I swap it out for a different ring (with identical stats but no Legendary affix) my damage is completely unchanged.  This is despite the fact that I'm getting anywhere from 30% to 80% stun up time from Paralysis, depending on my configuration.  On the Skills/Effects tab, however, it lists Manald Heal under Item Effects, with a vague Damage number below it.  But that damage number doesn't respond to gearing changes like I would expect, and it doesn't even change if I get rid of Paralysis from my passives.

What am I missing?  Can anybody help me out?

Can you post a video of a GR 90 run and your items. Im having trouble pushing past GR 65, wondering if its my lack of skill on the PS4 or the 3-4 items missing priority tertiary stats and ancient status. Teleport accuracy is a not so good. 

On 1/19/2017 at 9:32 PM, romilly said:

Works great! Question though - what is the "9 frame breakpoint" mean in terms of actual attack speed percentages we're looking for?

You should find the answer to any breakpoint question here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20752649109

Easier for you to take a look at this rather than me try to explain it myself!

On 1/20/2017 at 11:45 PM, Kaelos said:

Now this is the build that finally brings Wizard to it's feel, ranged playstyle and good direction. Thanks for this. Archon really needs to be nerfed and skills like hydra, frozen orb brought back to life

Agreed. I love the build!

On 1/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, Guest Brink said:

Looks like this has been answered by others, but yeah, there are two types of it. You want the one that causes Lightning damage and stuns enemies with Paralysis.

On 1/22/2017 at 0:23 PM, Kaelos said:

Manald heal got an affix in patch 
'Enemies stunned with Paralysis also take 13000–14000% weapon damage as Lightning.'

Same again here, thanks for helping to answer!

On 1/25/2017 at 6:45 AM, Anakha00 said:

I really enjoy this build because I'm just plain sick of archon builds everywhere.  I do have some suggestions to anyone that's using this for DB farming though.  

Definitely some good suggestions here. Would recommend for anyone to read through this that is trying the DB farm setup.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:54 AM, Guest Dark Lord said:

Love this build but can't seem to avoid the arcane torrent channeling distance and no damage bug.  Can anybody share what they do to stop it?  Does quick casts and shorter channeling work better?

Yes, it does.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:23 AM, Guest Rob said:

Can you post a video of a GR 90 run and your items. Im having trouble pushing past GR 65, wondering if its my lack of skill on the PS4 or the 3-4 items missing priority tertiary stats and ancient status. Teleport accuracy is a not so good. 

Not a run from us, but there are a few that you can find on YouTube - you can just google Tal Rash Manald Heal clear and there will be plenty of 90+ clears with it.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:51 AM, Blainie said:

Thanks for coming back to share that and sorry for not getting back to you in time!

You're welcome.  Do you know if development is dropping off for D3Planner?  If the simulator hasn't yet been updated for 2.4.3, and we're nearing 2.5.0, it seems like a bad sign...

Hey, thanks for the build. It's been a lot of fun so far. I'm not bothered if it's not optimal, but does Myken's Ball of Hate work with Arcane Torrent - Static Discharge?

On 2/27/2017 at 8:05 AM, Gretchynn said:

Hey, thanks for the build. It's been a lot of fun so far. I'm not bothered if it's not optimal, but does Myken's Ball of Hate work with Arcane Torrent - Static Discharge?

Myken's ability only works with Electrocute so it won't work with anything else, including Arcane Torrent.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:31 AM, Guest Vandrissen said:

So what about Simplicity's Strength? Does it not work with MH?

There's an extremely in depth thread on the D3 forums that lists everything that adds damage to MH as well as fundamentals of every MH build, but no, Simplicity's Strength does not work with it.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20752649109

3 hours ago, Anakha00 said:

Myken's ability only works with Electrocute so it won't work with anything else, including Arcane Torrent.

Ohh, I misread "electrocute" as saying "electricity". My bad! Thank you, Mysterious Stranger.

Edited by Gretchynn
Grammar :p

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.