FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Wildcaard

Unholy Tidbits

SECRETS OF AN UNHOLY DEATH KNIGHT

Pet management

-If you need to grip something right off the bat, use the abominations grip first, its difficult to use his when he is in close to the mob, so use his then use yours as needed. You CAN use the abominations grip at any time by moving yourself out and commanding him to come to you and then gripping from there, i suppose you can command the abomination to a spot and grip when he gets there too.

-You should have infected claw.Make best use of it for AOE by applying some festering strikes around while your abomination stacks up wounds and then drop death and decay and start cleaving your way to the top of the dps meter

- The abomination is stupid, he stands far away from you and if you are doing any sneaky stuff, its better to dismiss him and resummon when it is safe .

- The zombies that spawn, from army of the dead, and apocalypse, blow up when they die so if they are still alive after you are done killing something, wait until they die before moving on so they don't needlessly aggro something.

- The shambler does cray dmg but sometimes he spawns in unfortunate places, dont be dpsing stupidly close to other groups.

-The gargoyle has a long range so if you cast him he will probably sit where he is for his duration, so dont cast him somewhere that a patrol will aggro on him and the group.

Legendaries

- after tons of dummy beating and simming, ive taken the helm with the bracers although im willing to bet the trinket is much better but i dont have it to test unfortunately.

-Still using the bracers, they are still pretty good and crazy good with RNG.

Abilities

- Anti-magic shell is very useful for reducing damage,BUT, you can also use it to build runic power for something ( I used this to get crazy uptime on breath of sindragosa in WOD ). It also prevents you from getting stunned by that lightning debuff from the thunderers in halls of valor, and stops fel detonation from being applied to you in court of stars. Use it frequently and learn what it can and cant do.

- You can use yours and your pet's deathgrip to interrupt shielded casts ( I use it all the time on those seer type casters )

-If doing 5 man content, you better be watching for dead healers and tanks and be johnny on the spot with that battle rez. In raids, when it gets called for,be the one to get it out, incase everyone else is stupid or dead.

-Use deathcoil as much as you can when runes are on cooldown. Otherwise you are wasting runic power and losing out on possible scourge of the world buffs. Personally i just watch festering strike, if festering strike is on CD(meaning there are multiple runes on cooldown) i start hammering on the deathcoils, try no to overcap on wounds.

-if you get your three stacks of soul reaper on the first clawing shadows great, but refresh it before it falls off, you can refresh the buff making it 18 or 19  seconds long instead of 15

FROST DK'S

- Don't take any crap from em'

Edited by Wildcaard
  • Like 3

On 2/20/2017 at 7:17 PM, Wildcaard said:

SECRETS OF AN UNHOLY DEATH KNIGHT

FROST DK'S

- Don't take any crap from em'

I lul'd. +ten internets just for this part. So many people forget this is in fact a game and I applaud people who are going to play what they want and tell the haters to......go somewhere......and do unpleasant things...........

Lol i just threw that in there because frost dks have been relentless lately.... until they see the dps meters. It seems like people want to play frost because it has higher potential and is easier to play? But unholy is fun and thats the whole reason i switched in WOD.  I mostly just wanted to contribute little things i do that i think separate a good unholy dk from a great unholy dk, i do alot  automatically though and it can be difficult to pinpoint every little trick i use. As i remember useful things i will probably add them in. The amount of times and places ive used AMS though, is just ridiculous and long.

there certainly seems to be a strange tendency this expansion for players to be die hard one spec, either its never happened before or i've never noticed it. 

previously it was more you would end up playing one spec until certain gear or trinket or tier set and switch to the other. ex hfc you would go frost until 30% ms then switch to unholy. like changing main specs wasn't a big deal. All of a sudden there is like crazy fanaticism about adherence to one spec. Perhaps the artifact and legendary system caused it. 

I usually focus on one character and have alts for things like professions or banking.

I was a warrior from vanilla right until WOD. Then i got bored of it so i tried out my  DK, who was unholy and just used for picking herbs and ore, and it was pretty fun and seemed to do really good dps so i stuck with it. i Cant speak for what other people do (i actually have been playing my warrior to break the monotony up a bit) but i can imagine no one wants to grind 54 points (soon to be more) ontop of legendaries and what not, on multiple characters.

One question.....hidden appearance, is there a trick? I've dropped AoD and Apocalypse from Suramar to Hel and back and I've not gotten that book.....am I reading that guide wrong? Sorry, two questions......

5 hours ago, Helikon said:

One question.....hidden appearance, is there a trick? I've dropped AoD and Apocalypse from Suramar to Hel and back and I've not gotten that book.....am I reading that guide wrong? Sorry, two questions......

grab a drink, grab a snack, put your feet up, and brace yourself son, you got some grinding to do

the "fastest" way to do it is in archerus. Run up to dummy, cast AOTD and apocalypse. Then que for proving grounds. This resets your cooldowns, run to first enemy, AOTD and apocalypse again, wait to see if book dropped, abandon proving grounds, rinse and repeat for 5 hours until you get your book >_>

• Like 2

Rather than abandon proving grounds, you can teleport in/out of the dungeon. I tried this method for a few hours while watching netflix and didn't get it, but then got it doing WQ's. I think you do need to have some level of AK? which should be pretty easy to get now (def. less than the compendium gives).

I did it entierly in provingrounds (tank, brons). gripp and taunt add AotD and Appo. end trial by talking to panda. over and over again for something in the region of 10-15h. to note was that before this i mained blood so i had werry few cast of AotD and Apo to begin with

22 hours ago, ArycHumDK said:

Rather than abandon proving grounds, you can teleport in/out of the dungeon. I tried this method for a few hours while watching netflix and didn't get it, but then got it doing WQ's. I think you do need to have some level of AK? which should be pretty easy to get now (def. less than the compendium gives).

correct, also good catch on something i missed

Requires artifact knowledge of at least 6

Sounds like I'm in luck. Between Netflix and Vudu, I've got plenty of entertainment available for this grind.....thank you all for the assistance.