FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
rezznator

My Holy Pally Despair

First off this is a new class for me, but I have healed on other classes with more success.  I have run some Guild raids and am at a plateau where I just can't seem to get above where I am (20K-40K) and no consitancy to speak of.  ElvUI is my interface, I have mouseover macros to most of my spells and I have relied on the guides here at Icy-Veins to get me going.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated:

Armory Link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Rezznator/advanced

World of Logs:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/acjjhu0wfcxpuds6/sum/healingDone/

Hey there!

I'll do my best to help, though I don't play Paladin I do play **with** a Paladin. On initial inspection, you seem to be gemming/reforging reasonably.

Do you find you run out of mana?

How often your guild kills those bosses?

What are the spells you find you cast most often?

Thanks for the input.

1) I do not struggle for mana yet.  That might change if we start to 2 heal fights.

2) I just joined this team and this is the second raid group.  A couple of us are new to the team, but the core members can consistantly down the first 3 bosses on ToT. My first trip and Horridon was a one shot.  I find myself using Holy Radiance/Holy Shock a great deal on Tortos, but the splash heal is spotty due to movement.  Tortos is where we struggle atm. 

3) I beacon the tank, try to leverage my procs of Daybreak and Inffusion of Light.  I leverage the Divine Light proc for the big heal it provides and the HP it returns. We run with a Disc Priest and Resto Shaman on the team and are 3 healing most fights.  I Holy Light the tank for the 100% heal and Prism the boss for the AoE.  I'm sure there is more that I have overlooked.  The link to World of Logs shows our struggle with Tortos.

I would recommend using Radiance on melee only if you want the most out of it since melee is usually semi-stacked and Shock for ranged unless you want the splash in which case I'd go for the Tortos tank after a snapping bite.

Also try too pool up holy power for the Stomps so you can dish out a few Light of Dawns in succession to repair much of the damage fairly quickly.

How are your tanks faring in the encounter in general? Is there any struggle picking up bats for example? And what are the weak parts for healing, or rather the parts that cause issues?

Sorry for asking so much questions. I still can't use WoL very efficiently.

PS, I dont know if youre using the option already, but there's a useful tickbox in ElvUI that's off by default. Go to the unitframes -> 10man (if youre raiding 10man. I have it on in every size just in case.) and pick Health from the dropbox, and Enable the frequent updates.

Edited by Ceraius

Here's a parse from my guild when we last did Jin'rokh Normal - we were 2-healing it which accounts for some of the 90k hps that our paladin was doing.

I notice immediately that his healing done from Light of Dawn was much higher than yours. Perhaps you should think about using that more often on stacked raids.

I also ran the two parses through Comparebot - a tool that compares WoL parses for specific fights. Here is the result. I can see that he is using Eternal Flame and Holy Shock a lot more often than you are, and similarly for Light of Dawn. To see other spells that he uses and you don't, check the "Heals/Minute" column under the Healing tab.

While I'm not saying that you should play exactly like him, I am saying that you might benefit from understanding what other paladins do differently.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the heavy lifting doing the compare.  This is a huge help as I really work out the bugs in my rotation and skill as a HPally.  I also saw a huge miss in that I did not see any Beacon of Light for me on that fight.  That fight was my first ToT normal trip on that toon.  The other things you pointed out are spot on. 

Differences I saw:

1) I was setup for Light's Hammer on that fight for the stacking phase and it looks like your healer used Light of Dawn to heal right through it. I will have to try that out to see how/if my results change

2) while I can't prove this, I do believe your healer is doing a better job of having Holy Power available for key moments in the fight, which I do not do a good job of yet.

Thanks again

I don't know if you do it, but if you need a holy power more in a pinch, go throw a Crusader Strike on the boss.

As for LoD, the beauty of the ability is that it doesn't even need stacking. (Sorry Stoove, I was bothered by the "stacked raids" wording in your post :D )

I don't know if you do it, but if you need a holy power more in a pinch, go throw a Crusader Strike on the boss.

As for LoD, the beauty of the ability is that it doesn't even need stacking. (Sorry Stoove, I was bothered by the "stacked raids" wording in your post biggrin.png )

Nono, that's a good point - thanks! As I said I don't play Paladin, just trying to help :)

I play a 533 holy pally on Mug'thol. I tried to look for a tortos normal kill to use but unfortunately they are all too old to use for comparison! This is a heroic kill of tortos compared to your longest normal tortos attempt.

http://www.raidbots.com/comparebot/522894da74254e4b01000aa2#healing

I would suggest taking the Holy Avenger talent for that fight and also using the Illuminated healing glyph in place of your flash of light glyph because you will hit less targets harder which is more beneficial in a 10 man. Flash of light will drain your mana and using holy lights to stack up your mastery shield will be more effective. My role on tortos is to mainly keep up the tanks the whole time and throw out eternal flames on the raid to keep the shields up. Keeping your beacon on the bat tank and directly healing the tank on tortos will be the best way to use beacon for this fight. You can of course switch beacon on the tanks depending on the damage during the fight. Once quake hits you should have your 3-5 holy powers ready to hit your light of dawn once it's done. In the end it does depend on how you are using your other raid healers, I raid with a disc priest and she will mostly take care of the range and throw on a shield or hot on the tanks and when we had a shaman he would help keep up the other tank and the rest of the raid. My last piece of advice would be for you to undo your reforging out of haste into mastery, having more haste on fights will help you with faster hot ticks adding to your mastery shields on their own and those clutch moments. On my pieces I will never reforge out of haste or mastery but always out of crit as you have done! I hope this helps!

Edited by Sashadin
  • Like 1

We got to Tortos last night and after making some of the adjustments, have seen an improvement in my HPS on the boss fights.  We got Tortos down to 4%, but didn't have enough to finish him off.  Stalactites are still an issue and we don't have a solid turtle kicker.  My heals on this fight were all over map depending on how much I had to move. The rockfall was heinous.  Unfortunately we did not get the logs so I was unable to compare my two attempts.  I reforged to back into some haste and have noticed my spells lagging less.  We go again Saturday and I will make sure we get logs

Sounds like standard Tortos progress to me. He's a bitch to do, but once you have a good kicker and your team is killing the Whirl Turtles fast, you should be peachy :)

Looking over the logs, the simplest and best advice i can give is:

1. Holy Shock more, on cooldown wherever possible. The Horridon fight was 10mins+ long and you only cast Shock 33 times, should be well over double that.

Everything scales from HS. More shocks -> more HP -> more EF/LoD -> more DP procs -> more shields. Fixing this will make a big diff.

2. Cooldowns. In the 3 kills you logged totalling 23mins of combat, Wings was used 3 times and DF & GoaK just twice, don't be afraid to pop the good stuff.

There's a few other things but these two are gonna give a big chunk back to start with.

Keep practising and it will come good as you get more used to a new spec

Cheers