Stan

Hero Mastery Taunts

Sign in to follow this  

12 posts in this topic

LU4XI11ODUUY1490923023708.jpg

Blizzard's introducing a new way to show off your Hero prowess in Heroes 2.0.

The developer team isn't happy with how Master skins turned out. Players often had to choose between buying a Master skin or unlocking a new Hero and the second option was far more popular. With 2.0, they're introducing a new taunt with custom overhead animations.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Over the course of Heroes of the Storm’s history, we’ve always enjoyed implementing different ways for players to show off their personal accomplishments, which is an idea that has manifested in a variety of forms over time. From more recent features, like MVP and commendations, the “on fire” system, and personalized stats, to mainstays like ranked play leagues and tiers, seasonal rewards, hero and master portraits, and master skins.

On Master Skins

When we originally added master skins to Heroes of the Storm, they were intended to help you flaunt your depth of experience and time investment with your favorite heroes. However, when we re-evaluated master skins, we realized that there were several places where we could make improvements.

Master skins created situations where players had to choose between unlocking a hero or unlocking a master skin, which was a battle that heroes won far more often. Additionally, once players purchased a master skin, they’d then have to choose whether to use it or another skin in-game. This meant they couldn’t visually display their prowess with a hero in-game if there was a non-master skin they liked better.

These issues combined resulted in far fewer players unlocking and using master skins in-game than we had expected. Most players who had access to master skins did not unlock them, and most players who did unlock them would not primarily use that skin during their matches.

In Heroes 2.0, we decided to move to a new system that highlights your prowess with your favorite heroes so that you don’t have to make those difficult decisions.

Introducing: Hero Mastery Taunts

With Heroes of the Storm 2.0 on the horizon, we’re excited to bring you a new method to flaunt your dedication to the Heroes you own: Hero Mastery Taunts!

Whenever you issue an in-game taunt using a hero who has reached level 15 or higher, which is equivalent to level 10 in the previous progression system, that hero will now display unique “mastery” visual effects overhead. The hero will also play their taunt animation, as well as the voice line you selected for their loadout. Mastery taunts won’t stop at hero level 15, either. Their visual effects will continue to evolve across several tiers, becoming more epic as your hero reaches new heights in the progression system!

Initially, only mastery taunts that unlock at hero level 15 will be available when Heroes 2.0 arrives to the live version of the game on April 25. However, we’re planning to implement additional mastery taunt tiers in future patches that unlock at Hero Levels 25, 50, 75, and 100. In addition to unlocking mastery taunts, players who already owned master skins prior to Heroes 2.0 will retain those skins, and permanently gain access to both of their skin variations after release day.

We’d like to apologize that we did not unveil hero mastery taunts with our initial communications around Heroes of the Storm 2.0. We missed including this feature in our announcement, and we hope that the above information will help clear up some of the confusion surrounding the removal of master skins as a progression-exclusive reward.

As a final note, we’d like to thank everyone who has shared their thoughts about Heroes 2.0 with us thus far. In particular, we’ve received quite a bit of feedback surrounding Loot Chest rewards for veteran players. We’re still actively discussing everything you’ve sent our way this week, and will have more information on this topic to share with you soon.  We hope you’re having a blast with the Open Beta, and that you’ll continue to share constructive feedback about all things Heroes 2.0 with us on the official Heroes forums.

That looks cool, though I'm afraid it will add to the clutter Blizzard originally wanted to remove. 
I won't be using that feature as much, simply because I never taunt. I guess I should now though.

• Like 1

Taunts already exist on lol and I hate them, seeing a zed spamming ctrl 4 ctrl 5, laugh and mastery show is frustrating as hell. I'd better buy the mastery skins that I like before they get removed now. 

Edited by Fransoa

3 hours ago, positiv2 said:

That looks cool, though I'm afraid it will add to the clutter Blizzard originally wanted to remove. 
I won't be using that feature as much, simply because I never taunt. I guess I should now though.

Yeah, the one problem with this is the clutter. I mean heroes has always been minimalistic in terms of things like this; skins and mounts were the most clutter that was there. But now with banners and sprays and emotes....taunts are cool but they will just make things more bunched-up. Like, the only time I can think you would use them is if you kill someone or at the end when you core them. Which isn't much use

7 minutes ago, Fransoa said:

I'd better buy the mastery skins that I like before they get removed now. 

They're not being removed, you can buy them with shards. It's what I plan on doin for my girls Chromie and Valla.

I'd rather them adding something more interesting. Like... Custom unlockable dances.

it is an interesting thing. Clutter yes it might be a problem.

But lets look at it from the games perspective. HotS is closely tied with timing and events.

Firstly there are not much time for you to use that feature except than early game. Second thing - right now dance and other animations are not interruptible. If you started a dance in front of an enemy you cant simply  use "move" command to break it. If Taunts use same mechanic then, at the moment someone taunts you can kill him with no resistance... (in theory)

Anyway lets wait for release and see how this turns out.

2 hours ago, Dantalian said:

right now dance and other animations are not interruptible. If you started a dance in front of an enemy you cant simply  use "move" command to break it.

Actually you can by right clicking to move. You can't interrupt the animation as soon it starts, though; there is delay between the animation and when you can interrupt it.

1 hour ago, Skyewalker said:

WAIT WHAT, IS THAT DIABLO FROM D3 AT THE END??!?!?!

Yep, he is getting a "Prime Evil" skin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Yep, he is getting a "Prime Evil" skin.

Now that's some good news professor!

5 hours ago, Skyewalker said:

Now that's some good news professor!

I wish he'd get a Diablo 1 skin also. With the golden armbands, no tail and frog face.