Stan

Hanamura Changes Coming

22 posts in this topic

wXfexWO.jpg

Hanamura isn't exactly a favorite map and the Heroes of the Storm community voiced their concerns over at reddit, where Blizzard confirmed to be working on adjustments for the latest battleground.

The community considers Hanamura as "fundamentally flawed". 

Issues

• Bribe (Talent) is too powerful on the map
  • Map is snowballing out of control as most strategies revolve around pushing down a single lane to empower payloads

Lead Game Designer Travis McGeathy confirmed testing of internal changes for the battleground. It's fine for Hanamura games to be faster than other maps, but currently they are too fast. There's no ETA for the changes to go live, but let's hope it will be hotfixed before next Season!

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

We're working on some tweaks to the map to address the issues we've seen since launch. They're undergoing internal testing right now.

Bakery honestly hit the nail on the head with his suggestions I feel. Especially doubling the core health and shots fired from payloads baseline. That keeps the number of payloads required the same if you take no forts/keeps, but reduces the impact a significant amount when you do push down forts/keeps. This will make the games take a little longer as they won't snowball out of control for the team that just hard pushes a lane.

We played around with something similar internally as the concept is sound. It ended up being a bit more complicated than we liked, though, and simpler changes are achieving similar results.

It's ok if Hanamura runs faster than other maps and I expect that'll likely remain true after the changes. Just not quite to the degree it does currently.

Yeah, I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking setting core health to 7.  Games end too soon, with almost zero comeback potential.

• Like 2

Super happy about this - Definitely was up there on my list of least favorite maps. Had a game today where the faster spawn in mechanic created when one team can't push in their payload happened because the other team ignored it to push, which meant instead of making a comeback, they won even easier. Definitely needs some tweaks.

• Like 1

hate to be that guy, but you made a spelling error

you put conttol instead of control

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gamerk2 said:

Yeah, I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking setting core health to 7.  Games end too soon, with almost zero comeback potential.

It was what made me hate the map the most.. on most other maps, you can be destroyed early game, rally your forces, win a great team fight late-game and then bring the game back for a win. Hanamura was just so depressing as you fell behind. 

2 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

hate to be that guy, but you made a spelling error

you put conttol instead of control

Just fixed the post - thanks for letting us know! :)

Translation : the least favorite map is not lasting long enough so we will make it even longer to annoy the players more 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

Just fixed the post - thanks for letting us know! :)

Sorry about that! Thanks for fixing :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kurosu said:

Translation : the least favorite map is not lasting long enough so we will make it even longer to annoy the players more 

To be fair though, that's WHY its the least favorite for the most part. If it lasts long enough to attempt a comeback, it wouldn't be so damn painful.

Another problem with Hanamura is that it discourages players to siege. Taking forts doesn't really impact the game.

Those zappers, who were supposed to spawn when a keep has been taken down, just never make any appearance. I thought reducing the number of active payloads per team from 2 to 1 would be fine. Just a little laning in between the objectives makes the regular maps different from these Brawl Arena maps.

Edited by Alkasar991

29 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

Another problem with Hanamura is that it discourages players to siege. Taking forts doesn't really impact the game.

It does? I thought that was a massive deal, just because of the ability to win off of taking one tower. The empowered payload will almost always win if the other team can't get a fort and trades evenly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Forts are usually critical. Keeps on the other hand... I've never been in or personally seen a game that has ever really even threatened a keep.

15 hours ago, Laragon said:

To be fair though, that's WHY its the least favorite for the most part. If it lasts long enough to attempt a comeback, it wouldn't be so damn painful.

Are you kidding? I wish it was even faster in order to get it over with.Its a bad design overall,not a matter of match duration

I honestly don't think that tweaks like this will be able to fix Hanamura. I know, teamplay is the key and all that, but if your team lacks will to communicate (QP for instance), nothing like this will help. And while teamplay is needed on other maps, here it's much more, mmm, impactful. And if it's going to take even longer... I dont know, how it'll turn out. Oh, and Towers of Doom is up there with Hanamura in my list of "pls end this faster" maps.

My problem is, how the hell count the three vikings as three, and cho'gall is one at the cars. i Know its the vikings is 3 but only 1 player, and chogall played 2 player, this is unfair, if i play vikings my team have a huge advantage in this map, and if i play chogall we sux. This is not good in my opinion.

Edited by TommyGun

On 6/11/2017 at 3:01 AM, Fingolfin said:

I honestly don't think that tweaks like this will be able to fix Hanamura. I know, teamplay is the key and all that, but if your team lacks will to communicate (QP for instance), nothing like this will help. And while teamplay is needed on other maps, here it's much more, mmm, impactful. And if it's going to take even longer... I dont know, how it'll turn out. Oh, and Towers of Doom is up there with Hanamura in my list of "pls end this faster" maps.

I'm fine with ToD; I know I'm in the minority, but its a unique design that allows certain heroes to shine.  Hanamura by contrast is just really passive; Keeps really don't matter (I've never seen anyone actually go past forts), and it's just a slog waiting for the next payload spawns.  It's just a bad design all the way around.  Making the map last longer does address the lack of needing to push lanes (aside from the forts) to an extent, but doesn't really address the maps other problems.

36 minutes ago, gamerk2 said:

Hanamura by contrast is just really passive; Keeps really don't matter (I've never seen anyone actually go past forts).

Destroying both keeps gives you a lot of value (+2 extra points of damage out of 7 is huge), that's why Azmodan and Probius both have around 60% winrate on this map (in all game modes and on all ranks).

It's also very much possible to come back due to that lane pushing. I've seen multiple games where one team was losing pretty much all teamfights but managed to win because of +1 point of damage for destroying a keep.

The map is still a piece of crap, of course. Making lane pushing have a lesser impact will only make it worse (and longer).

And here we thought Warhead Junction was bad. Nope, says Blizz, we can do "better"!

Edited by Esmer

4 hours ago, Esmer said:

And here we thought Warhead Junction was bad. Nope, says Blizz, we can do "better"!

ᴵ ᵃᶜᵗᵘᵃᶫᶫʸ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᶦᵗ SORRY NOT SORRY

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gamerk2 said:

I'm fine with ToD; I know I'm in the minority, but its a unique design that allows certain heroes to shine.  

Well, I can agree on that. I like ToD, but it is tiresome in QP. And yes, it's my own damn fault that I play QP, but still. Same goes for Haunted Mines. All the other maps are totally ok, my favorites are Warhead Junction, Blackheart's Bay and Dragon Shire. But Hanamura (and brawl with payload) really grinds my gears.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:10 AM, Esmer said:

Warhead Junction is bad? How?? 

I get it had huge glitches before with bribing bosses and with the scaling of nukes but its perfect now

1 hour ago, MurkyFelix said:

Warhead Junction is bad? How?? 

I get it had huge glitches before with bribing bosses and with the scaling of nukes but its perfect now

This one's lost on me as well - I absolutely love the map. It's crazy fun as Valeera/Nova because of stealing nukes.

• Like 1