FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

TOS DK Tips and Tricks

Same thing we Always do. Noting any special tips or tricks to help out dks in any role in the new raid. Will be rather vacant at first but as we get more experience and insight into the raid we will add more information and added tips. As always feel free to contribute anything you feel is good for a DK going into TOS to know. Also please let me know if you feel the phrasing can be reworked, english is not my first language and its come to my attention my wording can be confusing at times, so let me know if anything seems unclear.

Tomb of Sargeras DK Tips and Tricks Guide Thingy

Basic Overview: Tomb of Sargeras is a fun new addition to world of warcraft. As a whole there are a lot of punishing mechanics that are movement heavy. As DK's your wraith walk button will become your new friend. There is an almost even split (with 9 bosses >_>) of AOE and Single Target fights so both Frost and Unholy will shine in their own rights. Blood will shine as a utility tank on many of the aoe fights and can suitably handle the requirements of the single target encounters. Overall a decent raid for DK's. Now to the bosses

Goroth:

Basic overview: A Pure Single Target Fight, Adjust your talents accordingly

• Frost and Unholy: Use Wraith Walk to better position yourself if targeted with Shattering Star Icon Shattering Star and to move Crashing Comet Icon Crashing Comet to a secure area. Wraith walk can also be useful to re-position yourself during Infernal Burning Icon Infernal Burning
  • Blood: Depending where you are during Infernal Burning Icon Infernal Burning you may not have enough time to get behind pillars, wraith walk is your friend, if you have burning armor you can start running parallel to the spikes so you can get closer to safely dodge infernal burning. 
  • Blood: you should be able to avoid Burning Armor Icon Burning Armor altogether with a well placed AMS (1)

(1) contributed by genbag.

Demonic Inquisition:

Basic overview: Two bosses that will be kept apart from each other and one big nasty mini boss by himself. Cleave opportunities are low, stick with single target talent set ups. The two bosses ideally are kept apart from each other so yes while ranged can cleave dks have limited opportunities to, you can apply disease to both but that's about it. 

• Frost and UnholyEchoing Anguish Icon Echoing Anguish is a debuff that explodes into AOE once it expires. Use wraith walk to move it safely out of raid, and then pop anti magic shield to reduce the damage when you are dispelled. 

Harjatan:

Basic overview: One big boss with lots of adds that need cleaving, bring some aoe skills.

• Blood: Use Gorefiends Grasp to quickly round up murlock adds on normal and heroic. However, heroic and beyond Darkscale Taskmaster should be removed from group. If off tanking, Gorefiends to round up adds, run away from group and death grip/taunt Darkscale Taskmaster to you. 
  • All three specs: AMS will protect you from Drenching Waters Icon Drenching Waters and getting drenched stacks. Useful to use AMS during Draw In Icon Draw In so you can ignore the mechanic and keep smacking the boss. It also doesn't hurt to pop AMS when possible near the end of Frigid Blows Icon Frigid Blows to reduce the damage of Frosty Discharge Icon Frosty Discharge. Icebound can be used too, this is just to remove some stress from your healers, they will appreciate it. 

Mistress Sassz'ine: 

Basic overview:  A hot mess of mechanics and bad stuff. Mostly single target with some cleave. Adds don't have much health so stick with more single target build here.

• Blood: Use Gorefiends Grasp to quickly round up Abyss Stalker for better cleave. Move them away from the boss a bit though as you do not want them to die too soon. (1)
  • Frost and Unholy: Movement will be very important specifically in phase 2 and 3. Wraith walk can only be used so often so strategic usage is critical. Vellius' deadly charge has a large damage radius but you should have enough time to run out if you can't for some reason, wraith walk to stay alive. The ideal usage of wraith walk is to soak Befouling Ink Icon Befouling Ink from Ossunet and use wraith walk to quickly move it to Sarukel when he begins to suck. 

(1): contributed by genbag.

Sisters of the Moon:

Basic overview: Single target fight with some movement mechanics. There is a snap priority add that appears (a birb) however, it is more beneficial to single target burn it down then try and cleave it needs to die asap.

• Frost and Unholy: If afflicted with Moon Burn Icon Moon Burn run to the opposite moon phase of where you currently are. You shouldn't have to use wraith walk to get there but if low on health it can save you. Pop AMS before purging to reduce damage from the explosion from Astral Purge Icon Astral Purge.
  • Frost and UnholyLunar Beacon Icon Lunar Beacon happens in phase 3 and its treated the same as moon burn. Run it out of raid, use wraith walk if necessary. AMS to reduce damage from nuke. Icebound fortitude can be used but its more valuable of a CD but if you have no other mitigation and low health do what you need to in order to stay alive. 

The Desolate Host: 

Basic overview: Multi boss, Multi add fight, lots of cleave potential. Huge amount of shadow damage abilities that can be mitigated with AMS.

• Frost and Unholy: There is a great deal of places where AMS can help mitigate damage and/or help out with raid positioning
    • Tormented Cries Icon Tormented Cries: you can use AMS to walk over a previous stack and overlap them, leaving more clean area for the raid
    • Collapsing Fissure Icon Collapsing Fissure: you can use ams to run though it without any damage.
    • AMS can also mitigate the shockwave from Rupturing Slam Icon Rupturing Slam
    • AMS reduces damage taken by Soulbind Icon Soulbind 
    • AMS Really helps mitigate the damage from Shattering Scream Icon Shattering Scream 

Maiden of Vigilance:

Basic overview: Pure single target and actually a really fun fight. Get those single target builds and get ready for a fun one :D

• All three specs: This fight in the end is rather simple. You do the mechanics or you don't. The only real help is AMS does help reduce her magic damage from some attacks. There honestly isn't  too much here trick wise. A very simple fight. 
  • Frost and Unholy: A suggestion was made to use AMS if you get a bomb on you. Testing showed this to either A be ineffective or B remove the debuff but the explosion damage still hits the raid. Instead AMS can be used to block Light Echoes Icon Light Echoes and Fel Echoes Icon Fel Echoes preventing the bomb from ever being applied. 

Fallen Avatar:

Basic overview: A single target fight with a lot of movement and raid stacking. Stick with single target builds and be very patient, this one is a bit of a doozy. 

• Frost and UnholyTouch of Sargeras Icon Touch of Sargeras Is a big purple aoe bubble of shadow damage that needs to be soaked by multiple people. However, with AMS and potentially Icebound depending on your gear, you can solo soak them to help relieve pressure on your group. 
  • Frost and UnholyShadowy Blades Icon Shadowy Blades Is a targeting ability somewhat akin to Kilroggs Heartseeker. If targeted run it to the back of the room away from your raid. Use wraith walk to quickly move it and pop AMS to reduce the shadow damage burst when it hits you.
  • All three specsRupture Realities Icon Rupture Realities Is a huge aoe attack that hits almost the entire room. The further you are away from the boss the less damage it does. Again Wraith Walk is your friend, use it if possible to run to the opposite side of the room.
  • Blood: You can partially cheese the floor mechanic in phase 2, pop AMS to move the boss into the lava right off the platform so that rupture realities won't destroy it. You won't receive lava damage and you can have more floor space, longer. (1)

TLDR for DPS DKS: This is a huge movement fight, wraith walk is your best friend as is AMS if you derp.

(1) Submitted by Venekus

Kil'Jaeden:

Basic overview: A big nasty mechanic heavy fight, brace yourself

• All three specs: Use AMS to soak meteors, this should prevent debuff. During darkness phase death grip (or gorefiends if applicable) shadows to him to help out raid. Wraith walk is helpful for getting out of the portal during darkness of a thousand souls. (1).
  •  Frost : If you have ring only use one charge of HRW at opening. Boss will hit 80% before you can get off a second. After intermission all your CDS should be up and boss won't cast anything for 30 seconds so its a good burn opportunity (1).
  • Blood: Felclaws Icon Felclaws can be very nasty. Try and have VB and some rune power up before he casts it. Take first claw to the face, cast VB on the second, and death strike after third and fourth. This should be enough to keep you up. It can be pretty nasty at higher raid lvls. In addition if you are still having difficulties with Felclaws you may want to re-talent into rune tap and/or blood mirror to further mitigate the damage (2).

(1): Contributed by Dklegends

(2): Contributed by Venekus

• Like 2

You may also note :

As blood, you can avoid a stack of melted armor with the anti-magic armor, since it's not really used in other ways in the fight :).

And for Harjatan, i've found that just stacking the taskmaster on the boss will result in him getting obliterated, and so, not being much of a problem. To the contrary, on mistress you may want to take the stalkers a bit away from the group, so nobody slacks into the AoE.

Nice guide anyway ! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, genbag said:

You may also note :

As blood, you can avoid a stack of melted armor with the anti-magic armor, since it's not really used in other ways in the fight :).

And for Harjatan, i've found that just stacking the taskmaster on the boss will result in him getting obliterated, and so, not being much of a problem. To the contrary, on mistress you may want to take the stalkers a bit away from the group, so nobody slacks into the AoE.

Nice guide anyway ! :)

thanks for your feedback and suggestions :D  it's a fluid work in progress so there are a few places i need to change things, i'll also add your feedback and give you credit :D

For Kil'Jaeden, Use AMS to soak the Meteors. This should prevent the debuff they cause from being applied. For the darkness phase, once you find Iliidan, be sure to death grip the shadows to him to help your raid out. Wraith walk is helpful for getting out of the portal during Darkness of a thousand souls. 

If you're frost, use only one charge of HRW if you have the ring. The boss will hit 80% before you can get off a second. Once the first intermission ends, this is when you should go all out, as most of your cooldowns will be coming up shortly and the boss will cast no abilities for around 30 seconds.

If I remember anything else, I'll make sure to post it.

• Like 1

added suggestions with due credit given. only thing i left out was one of @genbag's suggestions. While I agree that stacking the taskmaster is a good idea for lower dps/ilvl groups that may cause problems because he buffs murlocs and harj. Certainly once the raid is on farm its probably not an issue at all, that decision really comes to do individual raid strength. may add addendum note later :)

30 minutes ago, Kevin10 said:

In maidem one can take out the bomb with anti magic shell?

haven't confirmed that yet, but 100% seems like something that should work, once we get confirmation will be added :D

• Like 1

You may need to use a second HRW charge for Heroic mode unless you can absolutely burn him to 80% before you need a second. 

On normal my guild was able to consistently burn him to 80%, but I'm not sure if this will be the case for heroic, as he'll have more hp.

Also, for Mistress, I believe you can AMS the stun from the Jellyfish when purging a murloc from your back.

Edited by Dklegends

On 6/26/2017 at 9:57 PM, Kevin10 said:

In maidem one can take out the bomb with anti magic shell?

okay so last night i padded my group with 5 dks to test this and the results were kind of split. 

AMS with the bomb

either a: does nothing

or b: denotes it and does raid damage

so we couldn't 100% get down what AMS plus bomb does but we determined it was bad news bears. what we did find instead though is you can pop ams to prevent getting splashed with the other color and not getting the bomb period. so if for some reason you get derped locationally you can ams to prevent bomb just not get rid of.

A tip for Blood DK's in Fallen Avatar: in phase 2, use AMS to position the boss outside the platform. You won't receive damage from the lava and Rupture Realities will consume less of the platform this way.

And in KJ fight: both Rune Tap and Blood Mirror can help you smooth the incoming damage from Fel Claws and you should consider talenting them if Fel Claws prove difficult to survive.

updated some things, deleted some things for accuracy, and added suggested hints. specifically @venekus the phase 2 avatar cheese is a new favorite thing that I forgot to add, so thanks for mentioning it :D

I noticed With frost that you can almost completely ignore the mechanics of Purging your stacks on Sisters with AMS.  Also I normally help soak the Hydra shots when I am tanking the boss on mistress, just pop AMS before and you don't get the debuff.  Although these were covered partly with some of the other bosses.  The best way for Blood to kind of Cheese the bombs on Maiden is to pop AMS right after a Hammer hits group.  Although I am only a backup tank now, cant remember exactly if its after the hammer hits you or your Co-Tank.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matster said:

I noticed With frost that you can almost completely ignore the mechanics of Purging your stacks on Sisters with AMS.  Also I normally help soak the Hydra shots when I am tanking the boss on mistress, just pop AMS before and you don't get the debuff.  Although these were covered partly with some of the other bosses.  The best way for Blood to kind of Cheese the bombs on Maiden is to pop AMS right after a Hammer hits group.  Although I am only a backup tank now, cant remember exactly if its after the hammer hits you or your Co-Tank.

will update with your suggestions soonTM