Jump to content
FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

ToS Race Day16: KJ Longest Living Boss Since Cata

Recommended Posts

rXudXFA.jpg
 

Kil'jaeden outlives Archimonde, 7 guilds have downed Fallen Avatar, Method's WF Avatar video and more.

It's official, Kil'jaeden has outlived his boss, Archimonde! Now sure, that's already happened in the lore, but this time it's progress-race canon as well. Archimonde was the holder of the "lived the longest since Cataclysm" title until just now, as his record of staying alive for 16 days has been broken by the Deceiver just a few minutes ago.

VV3hzzS.jpg

It was Method that got the Defiler down back in Hellfire Citadel almost exactly 2 years ago and they seem poised to take down the Deceiver as well, possibly on the anniversary of Archimonde's death? The next "longest lived boss" on the list KJ might set his eyes on is Al'Akir from the Throne of the Four Winds in Cataclysm, but that particular record will almost certainly not be toppled, as the Windlord eluded death for a whopping 42 days before Paragon ended him on January 24th, 2011.

Meanwhile, we've had 4 new applicants to the Kil'jaeden killer job listing since the last time we checked in, with Chinese guild Style War getting the World 4th, Asia 2nd (with 839 wipes, in the second reset), ScrubBusters finishing off the top 5 with with their EU 3rd (and only 364 wipes - due to their more relaxed raiding schedule, the increased item level from the third reset and the videos having been released). Memento are currently in 6th/EU 4th and the most recent Avatar kill was AFK R in 7th/Asia 3rd. While it's still most likely that Method will be the ones carrying home the gold in the Tomb of Sargeras Mythic progress race, with 6 other guilds at the final boss with three resets' worth of gear, and the several nerfs/fixes Kil'jaeden has gotten over time, it's still anyone's race!

We also got Method's World First Fallen Avatar kill, featuring 5 rogues:

And that's about it for today's race update/history lesson. Big red has eluded death for now and more and more guilds are piling up on his doorstep. If you're getting really anxious about him dying, you can always check out the live coverage over at Method.gg and find out exactly when the Deceiver dies and that green bar gets filled up to the end!

PpzC29L.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a lot of people will not agree but i'm actually glad that Kil'Jaeden is still alive for a few reasons.

 

Lorewise K'J is a badass and would be a handful for any group of people to take down.  I mean if it were so easy Khadgar would have killed him long ago.

The raid difficulty is Mythic and by definition it is exaggerated.  I mean in my mind Normal difficulty is the average player, Heroic difficulty is the player that knows how to better themselves and can push forward.  Mythic difficulty is what it's shaping up to be, untouchable by most and killable by a handful.

It shows that blizzard can still make things a true challenge.  Looking back there were plenty of raid bosses that have eclipsed the current timeline before they were downed due to difficulty.  Some needed nerfs to be killed (C'thun, being the biggest example), but some weren't nerfed before they were downed (4HM in Naxx comes to mind).

 

Now personally I don't ever expect to see Mythic Kil'Jaeden.  I don't have the time to put into pushing myself that hard, nor do I want to.  Seeing the downing of a few mythic bosses i'm ok with, however I feel like things have been so easy for the casual gamer lately that it's refreshing to see a challenge for the hardcore gamer.

 

On the flipside I can completely understand why with the top guilds being who they are and as good as they are Kil'Jaeden being alive still is frustrating due to overtuning.

I just hope personally that he's killed before any nerfs to his fight, because that truly would be an achievement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DeathsDesign said:

I know a lot of people will not agree but i'm actually glad that Kil'Jaeden is still alive for a few reasons.

 

Lorewise K'J is a badass and would be a handful for any group of people to take down.  I mean if it were so easy Khadgar would have killed him long ago.

The raid difficulty is Mythic and by definition it is exaggerated.  I mean in my mind Normal difficulty is the average player, Heroic difficulty is the player that knows how to better themselves and can push forward.  Mythic difficulty is what it's shaping up to be, untouchable by most and killable by a handful.

It shows that blizzard can still make things a true challenge.  Looking back there were plenty of raid bosses that have eclipsed the current timeline before they were downed due to difficulty.  Some needed nerfs to be killed (C'thun, being the biggest example), but some weren't nerfed before they were downed (4HM in Naxx comes to mind).

 

Now personally I don't ever expect to see Mythic Kil'Jaeden.  I don't have the time to put into pushing myself that hard, nor do I want to.  Seeing the downing of a few mythic bosses i'm ok with, however I feel like things have been so easy for the casual gamer lately that it's refreshing to see a challenge for the hardcore gamer.

 

On the flipside I can completely understand why with the top guilds being who they are and as good as they are Kil'Jaeden being alive still is frustrating due to overtuning.

I just hope personally that he's killed before any nerfs to his fight, because that truly would be an achievement.

Oh I totally agree with you and I'm glad he's still alive as well, I just wish he was alive due to "fair" difficulty instead of artificial blocks and bugs (if you believe the top guilds that is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I think there should be a separate achievement for killing Mythic Kil'Jaedan pre-nerf.  An achievement called "You are prepared..."  It should be a feat of strength that he was killed before any tuning changes were made to his fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just be honest here for a moment, the only reason they are struggling is because the encounter has a "check" system. It clearly means they aren't geared for it yet. However these guilds just go and go at a boss until it dies unlike random pugs/guilds that disband after a couple of wipes. Once each player increases their item level it becomes easier and easier. Even a fairly casual guild can down mythic bosses into the expansion because it's all about gear at that point. They already know the encounters and mechanics behind them at that point it's all about GEAR.

 

That has NOTHING to do with difficulty, that's all MMO grinding my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, huldu said:

Let's just be honest here for a moment, the only reason they are struggling is because the encounter has a "check" system. It clearly means they aren't geared for it yet. However these guilds just go and go at a boss until it dies unlike random pugs/guilds that disband after a couple of wipes. Once each player increases their item level it becomes easier and easier. Even a fairly casual guild can down mythic bosses into the expansion because it's all about gear at that point. They already know the encounters and mechanics behind them at that point it's all about GEAR.

 

That has NOTHING to do with difficulty, that's all MMO grinding my friend.

I agree. The Guilds are just whining because the boss is more old school, not just to be wrecked in one shot with the other bosses.

I'm not taking part in the race but it's a lot more fun to see that it isn't a matter of 1 reset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a bit nit picky. But I would like to clarify that Archimonde is NOT, Kil'jaedens boss. Archimonde was in fact KJ's apprentice from before the eredar were integrated into the legion. He was promoted to his position and rose in power along with KJ after Velen fled with the rebellious draenei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigtim1990 said:

I know this is a bit nit picky. But I would like to clarify that Archimonde is NOT, Kil'jaedens boss. Archimonde was in fact KJ's apprentice from before the eredar were integrated into the legion. He was promoted to his position and rose in power along with KJ after Velen fled with the rebellious draenei.

Yea I already got my lore ass handed to me over on facebook and you're right :D Failed my lore check like a noob, but I was mostly thinking in terms of how they were presented in the games themselves as Archi was always more of the big bad than KJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, huldu said:

Let's just be honest here for a moment, the only reason they are struggling is because the encounter has a "check" system. It clearly means they aren't geared for it yet. However these guilds just go and go at a boss until it dies unlike random pugs/guilds that disband after a couple of wipes. Once each player increases their item level it becomes easier and easier. Even a fairly casual guild can down mythic bosses into the expansion because it's all about gear at that point. They already know the encounters and mechanics behind them at that point it's all about GEAR.

 

That has NOTHING to do with difficulty, that's all MMO grinding my friend.

Here's the thing, if that's the case then fine, I can totally accept that. BUT the problem here is, and this is something that only people that play/ed in the very top guilds can know, sometimes bosses aren't just overtuned but are actually impossible due to bugs and mechanics that are either purposefully or accidentally made so that you literally can not do them until they are changed. Blizzard has already changed several things about the KJ fight (and only one of them was public in the hotfixes) and we don't really know if those were just tweaks or of some (or all) of those made the fight even possible.

If we're to believe what the guilds are saying the guy was impossible before this reset and I VERY much doubt it had anything to do with just 1 reset's worth of gear. We'll get the full story after progress, so I guess we'll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigtim1990 said:

I know this is a bit nit picky. But I would like to clarify that Archimonde is NOT, Kil'jaedens boss. Archimonde was in fact KJ's apprentice from before the eredar were integrated into the legion. He was promoted to his position and rose in power along with KJ after Velen fled with the rebellious draenei.

The apprentice thing is new to me.  I know that before Sargeras brought the opportunity to join him to Argus there were three leaders of Argus.  These leaders were Velen, Archimonde, and Kil'Jaeden.  The Triumvirate is what they were called if i'm not mistaken.  To me that leads me to believe there was no apprenticeship.  Once Velen left Argus and turned his back on his fellow leaders Archimonde became Sargeras's left hand and became the commander of the Burning Legion forces, while Kil'Jaeden on the other hand focused his abilities on assimilating as many races and worlds into the  Burning Legion as possible.  While they had different roles they still held the same title and rank to Sargeras as his Lieutenants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DeathsDesign said:

The apprentice thing is new to me.  I know that before Sargeras brought the opportunity to join him to Argus there were three leaders of Argus.  These leaders were Velen, Archimonde, and Kil'Jaeden.  The Triumvirate is what they were called if i'm not mistaken.  To me that leads me to believe there was no apprenticeship.  Once Velen left Argus and turned his back on his fellow leaders Archimonde became Sargeras's left hand and became the commander of the Burning Legion forces, while Kil'Jaeden on the other hand focused his abilities on assimilating as many races and worlds into the  Burning Legion as possible.  While they had different roles they still held the same title and rank to Sargeras as his Lieutenants.

They do keep changing and adding  stuff all the time though, it's part of the reason I've given up on caring about the lore pretty much. The Chronicle straight up retconned a bunch of stuff because it didn't fit their current storyline, although tbh it's been happening since the beginning with BC and the eredar/dranei story so I guess changing canon is as canon as canon can be at this point :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Starym said:

They do keep changing and adding  stuff all the time though, it's part of the reason I've given up on caring about the lore pretty much. The Chronicle straight up retconned a bunch of stuff because it didn't fit their current storyline, although tbh it's been happening since the beginning with BC and the eredar/dranei story so I guess changing canon is as canon as canon can be at this point :D

Very true, and to be honest I hate when companies do this because it takes away from the story and feel.  Example, there's a story somewhere that I read about an Elf?? Hunter of some kind (might be demon hunter in the old sense, might be true hunter, or something) that for eons fought Sargeras and chased him in and out of the twisting nether.  She was finally able to almost kill him until he retreated into the nether again and disappeared.  Now the lore is that Broxigar cut his leg.  The other story just gave a better feel to the lore imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeathsDesign said:

Very true, and to be honest I hate when companies do this because it takes away from the story and feel.  Example, there's a story somewhere that I read about an Elf?? Hunter of some kind (might be demon hunter in the old sense, might be true hunter, or something) that for eons fought Sargeras and chased him in and out of the twisting nether.  She was finally able to almost kill him until he retreated into the nether again and disappeared.  Now the lore is that Broxigar cut his leg.  The other story just gave a better feel to the lore imo.

Said elf is the new Big Bad after 7.3, likely after killing her husband off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      Carbot has been a very reliable source of some truly very funny videos on pretty much everything Blizzard-related, with his unique style and a clear reverence and knowledge of the content parodied. He even made Blizzard a 30th anniversary video for this year's BlizzConline!

      Well, today we have a very different video on our hands, as he tries to show the evolution of WoW throughout the ages, at least from his perspective. It's... a painful one to watch, and in my opinion a little too pessimistic, but you can't deny the talent at play here as it will almost certainly tug at your heartstrings:
      While there definitely have been many changes to WoW over the years, and even the ones depicted towards the end of the video aren't that far from the truth, the nostalgic and pretty emotional feelings I get from the video are more about the players leaving, which I would argue is more a factor of, well, time. As old-school, original players (or ones from any period in the game really) change, grow and evolve, it's natural they will move away from the game and come back for shorter stints and so on, which isn't necessarily a factor of the game's state, and so I can't really agree with the ending section there (although I'm not exactly a fan of what's been happening with the monetization aspects either). The fanbase definitely isn't exactly at its most fan-like at the moment, but hopefully that can change, and we can stem the tide of toxicity that's been pretty heavily pushing in on WoW on all fronts.
      As for Carbot's video specifically, while I may not agree with the general message, this departure from his normal videos really is a great one, and you have to respect when funny, cartoony figures can pack such a major emotional punch, as regardless of how you may feel about WoW, you will most likely have felt something watching that video.
      The video also created a very large redit thread, with players expressing their reaction to it, which you can check out here.
    • By Stan
      Blizzard released the first 9.1 Release Candidate on the PTR yesterday, and with it, came some last-minute class changes. Check them out!
      Hunter
      Survival
      Flanking Strike (Level 45 Talent) - You and your pet leap to the target and strike it as one, dealing a total of [ 135% of Attack Power + 117% 135% of Attack Power ] Physical damage. Rogue
      All Specs
      Shiv  Assassination: Attack with your your poisoned blades, dealing [ 50% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, dispelling all enrage effects and applying a concentrated form of your Crippling Poison, reducing movement speed by 70% for 5 sec. Your Nature damage done against the target is increased by 20% for 9 sec. Outlaw, Subtlety:Attack with your off-hand, dealing [ 50% of Attack Power ] Physical damage, dispelling all enrage effects and applying a concentrated form of your Crippling Poison, reducing movement speed by 70% for 5 sec. Legendary Powers
      Guile Charm - Take advantage of the natural ebb and flow of combat, causing your Sinister Strike to gradually increase your damage dealt by up to 15%. This maximum effect will last for 10 12 sec before fading and beginning the cycle anew.
    • By Stan
      3 encrypted Patch 9.1 cinematics are currently present in the game files. These usually contain spoilers, so we will need to wait until June 29 to watch them.
      All combined, the cinematics have 7.46 minutes.
      interface/cinematics/shadowlands_910_950and952_1920.avi is 2 minutes and 25 seconds long and has 69.09 MB. interface/cinematics/shadowlands_910_951_1920.avi is 3 minutes and 7 seconds long and has 88.32 MBs. interface/cinematics/shadowlands_910_953_1920.avi has 1 minute and 56 seconds and 54.67 MBs. There are also lower-resolution versions of the same cinematics present in the game files (1080p / 640p). What do you hope to see there?
    • By Stan
      Blizzard added Hall of Fame and Mythic titles for defeating Sylvanas Windrunner to the game in the first 9.1 Release Candidate.
      If you're among the first 100 Alliance / Horde guilds to down the final boss of the new raid, you will be granted the "Famed Bane of the Banshee Queen" title.
      Hall of Fame: Sylvanas (Alliance) - Among the first one hundred Alliance guilds worldwide to defeat Sylvanas Windrunner on Mythic difficulty. Hall of Fame: Sylvanas (Horde) - Among the first one hundred Horde guilds worldwide to defeat Sylvanas Windrunner on Mythic difficulty. Title Reward: Famed Bane of the Banshee Queen
      When you defeat her on Mythic difficulty, you will receive the "Breaker of Chains" title.
      Mythic: Sylvanas Windrunner - Defeat Sylvanas Windrunner in the Sanctum of Domination on Mythic difficulty. Title Reward: Breaker of Chains
    • By Stan
      In Patch 9.1, Blizzard implemented a new option that allows you to transmog each shoulder separately. In this post, we are looking at the feature in more detail.
      Visit a transmogrifier in any major city or hub. On the left side, select shoulders, and in the bottom left corner, enable the "Transmog Each Shoulder Separately" option.

      This will create another slot for your second shoulder on the left side. Click on the Shoulder #2 slot, select the appearance you would like, and click on "Apply'.

      Congrats, you've just transmogged each shoulder separately!
×
×
  • Create New...