FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nightdragon76

Question concerning 5.4 stats for 2H Frost

I have been doing some reading and am curious about the current stat weights in 5.4. It is recommended as Crit>Mastery>=Haste but I have heard that this only really works if you have the 2 piece bonus for tier 16 gear. Is this true or is it best to just stack nothing but crit at any ilvl? I currently have a 509 ilvl and am pulling around 115k dps with nothing but crit stacked and sometimes have to wait to be able to do anything because my runes are all on cd. I know for warriors and rogues this is normal but as a DK we are always supposed to be doing something or it is a DPS loss. I am currently sitting at 46.44% haste with a rune speed of 9.76s. So my question is should I be focusing more on haste and is there a certain point I want to get to with haste and then start stacking crit?

I dont think theres a certain point to get to with haste and then stacking crit because I think that recommendation are for players that are raiding SoO flex/normal/ and heroic because at that point you get so much haste from just gear I believe theres not reason to get anymore so Crit and mastery become more valuable due to scaling and being end of expansion gear especailly 550+ item lvl.

It is not really tragic if all your runes are on CD. After 5.3 and some heavy haste builds you just have to get used to it. Try to force yourself to not use every rune and/or runic power as soon as possible. Use your runes before your second rune of each type is nearly finished recharging, this will give you more flexibility for example for target switching or burst damage.

And no, you generally do not want to focus on haste.

But isn't it better, if you have at least a certain amount of haste? At least, if you have the T16p2. I experienced, that with a too low hasterating it's not really possible maintain the death shroud-buff. With a 7-8k-ish haste(with slightly higher masteryrating, than hasterating), I can maintain the buff almost all the time with ~5-8 stacks. If I try this, with a lower haste, then the buff falls off too quickly and stacks just 2-4 times. And yes, i know, that even, with lower haste, there isn't too much of a difference of the uptime over the course of the fight, but the with lower haste i can maintain just low stacks of the procc. But then again..it's just my point of view and ioverlook something.

The main reason haste got the boot to the bottom the the stat priority is because of the trinkets more than anything. Since the T16 trinkets aren't RPPM based(excluding one) they don't get affected by your haste so its more beneficial in the long run to swap to more crit/mastery. 

Melee classes don't really have haste break points. 

The easiest way to see how one way over another will affect your dps is to run simulations to get a general idea of what the dps increase or decrease would be.

I know for my dk (530ilvl) i net'd about a 5k dps boost swaping out of haste/mastery for more crit.

That's not entirely accurate there Omnae.  There are haste break points for dks, because haste = rune regen.  Roughly 62-63% haste is what my sims show for my toon, your milage my vary.

To answer the OP, its kind of hard to tell you specifics without having any idea what your gear is.  You should probably just use Mr. Robot and do as he says.

Edited by Failhard

That's not entirely accurate there Omnae.  There are haste break points for dks, because haste = rune regen.  Roughly 62-63% haste is what my sims show for my toon, your milage my vary.

Actually it is, aside from monks no other melee specifically gems/reforges to a set haste point.

Ask Mr. robot had me stack haste on my DK until 5.4 hit, then it changed me over to stacking crit. Pre 5.4, I think I was in the neighbor hood of 78-80% haste, now I am around 50% haste and 30% crit. With the slight mechanic chages, I get better results now, I would say an increase of 7% efficiency. You will have some times where all you are doing is melee, and that's ok. Getting the trinket that reduces the CD of your main abilities is amazing. Your Pillar of Frost is just under 50% uptime (CD goes from 60 seconds to 43.5 seconds for me) and that is huge, amplified once you get your 4 piece set bonus.

You can play with stacking haste to make your CD even better, but I am willing to bet you will get a significant reduction in dps by taking away the crit. Oh, my opinion is to prefer haste > mastery in frost, but that is just me, I like the runes coming back slightly faster.