Zertsius

Boomkin Druid DPS: Need Help

Sign in to follow this  

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am a balance druid looking for help increasing my DPS for raiding as well as help understanding the druid "opener"

• I am iLvl 497 (armory link will be provided at bottom of email.)
  • Currently pulling around 45-60k on raiding test dummy

A few notes on my rotation:

• Attempt to maintain sunfire & moonfire at all times
  • Re-cast sunfire/moonfire when I enter each spells corresponding eclipse
  • Re-cast sunfire/moonfire as the second to last spell right before I leave the solar/lunar eclipse (in order to buff the DoT with the bonus from being in eclipse)
  • Cast starsurge whenever off cooldown (I do not use a stopcast macro, however, meaning I usually wait to finish casting whatever spell i'm in the middle of when the starsurge procs)
  • Cast starfall whenever off cooldown
  • Never really use the mushrooms

Cooldown Usage

• Use macro to cast Incarnation, Nature's Vigil, and my Trinket all at the same time
  • Once those buffs hit 15s left, I cast Celestial Alignment
  • Use a macro to cast Nature's Swiftness & Healing Touch at the same time (hardly ever use).

Questions about the Boomkin "opener"

The more I read online, the more I see things about an "opener" for boss fights. It seems to be very important. I understand that I should Astral Communion until I'm 1 wrath away from going into Lunar Eclipse just so I'll be able to get multiple starfalls. I understand that part, but from then on I get lost. That being said, my questions are as follows:

• What is the basic idea of the Boomkin opener?
  • What order of spells should I actually be using?
  • Do I use sunfire & moonfire at all during my opener?
  • Do I pop my cooldowns right before I cast the first starfall?

Any and all help will be received gratefully and highly appreciated. I will try to upload some actual video footage of me DPSing the test dummy to provide some first person viewpoints on what I'm doing.

Important Links

Thanks to all who take the time to read this,

Zertsius

P.S. This is my first time posting here so I apologize in advance if I did anything wrong.

Edited by Zertsius

Hi Zert,

As I said in the PM you should get a log from SoO LFR and post it up so that we can take a look and see how well your idea of the rotation is serving you. The basic idea with the opener is that you want to use Starfall several times in a row, as soon as the previous one expires, by quickly pushing through the eclipse cycle.

Make sure to throw an enchant on your weapon, preferably Jade Spirit if you want to show that you are committed to optimizing yourself but Windsong is OK too.

Okay so, I skipped a lot of the text and went on to the video and then read some of the text. Your opener should look like this:

1. Astral Communion until 1 Wrath away from Lunar Eclipse.

2. Cast Starfall

3. Cast Wrath

4. Cast Incarnation/Potions/Trinkets (usually macro'd together). I don't recommend using Nature's Vigil as your talent, I recommend Heart of the Wild. It's a bigger dps increase and easier to deal with, considering it's passive

5. Cast sunfire then moonfire (in the order)

6. Starsurge

7. Starfire until 0 eclipse (use any Starsurge procs you get along the way) (also, when your first Starfall (from step 2) falls off, use your 2nd one))

8. At 0 eclipse, cast Celestial Alignment (if you're a troll, this is where you would cast Berserk as well, macro'd together of course)

9. Refresh your dots (Only use one, because of Celestial Alignment it will apply both)

10. Starfire and use Starsurge/Starsurge procs on cooldown until celestial alignment finishes.

11. Carry on with normal rotation.

A somewhat decent guide of Zoomkins (a boomkin from Blood Legion) can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hH7uGHqA4

As for your armory, I looked at your gemming and whatnot and I would advice just using askmrrobot.com if you aren't already until you're comfortable with what to do.

If you have any more questions feel free to contant me ingame @ Grimlir#1301

Best regards,

Grimlirx

• Like 1

- I was glancing at ur WoL parses and noticed ur up-times on Moonfire and Sunfire are very low, especially on the single target fights like Iron jug and Malkorok u should be able to keep those 2 debuffs on the target 95-100% of the time regardless of gear score.

- Ill link u a parse of mine from Malkorok http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-vrv5x9pm46gzhvul/sum/damageDone/?s=742&e=1039#Stardustt

- My gear score is much higher than yours but look at the basics like debuff uptimes etc. Boomkins have a really strong opener even at lower ilvls once u figure it out you'll have wayyy stronger burst. 

- definetly lose the Nature's Vigil talent and try lvling some professions.

- good luck

Edited by DougEFresh
  • Like 1

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try to change some things and get some new gear pieces and then post some more logs for a secondary evaluation if possible. Thanks again.

Alright everyone, I got some better gear and tried to take in everyone's advice.

Below is the wowlogs for a Korkon Dark Shaman fight in Flex Raid with my guild. I believe this was one of my better fights, my DoT uptime was both over 90%. What else can do i to improve?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t7ofdxetztrtj6f4/dashboard/?s=1214&e=1608

I believe I pulled around 89k this fight while the other boomkin pulled about 200k+

Once again here is a link to my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blades-edge/Zertsius/simple

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT* Here is the general nazgrim fight we did afterward. We wiped both times but I still got logs from it. My DoT uptime is not as good as it should be but is there any other comments you guys can make?
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t7ofdxetztrtj6f4/dashboard/?s=3095&e=3485

Edited by Zertsius

The other moonkin vastly outgears you. He's in full SoO normal gear with the legendary cape and meta. You're not going to match that. Even played equally well - and your uptime on both the DoTs and Starfall was better than his - you will get far fewer Shooting Stars procs with lower haste and crit chance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orb
      <Banana Hammock> is a social Mythic raiding & M+ guild for late night weekend bananas.
      Hours: 11pm-2am (Pacific) Saturday & Sunday     ///         11pm-2am (Pacific) Friday  (Alts & Casuals)
      Progression: 8/8 N 8/8 H (AOTC)  2/8 M
      Guild Information: Banana Hammock was an old guild on Hyjal that we restored for BFA. Our goals are to reach AOTC and to progress into Mythic. We are looking for a handful of people(Ranged dps) to fill our roster for mythic progression. Of course we're looking for skilled players, but we're also looking for people with a great sense of humor as well! We can't promise Cutting Edge, but we want people who love to push content and have a good time doing it. Come be another banana in our hammock 🙂
      Looking for:  
      Ranged DPS 1 Healer If interested in raiding or hanging out with us just message
      B.net:  Nox#1474, Anubismerc#1882, Radjehuty#1804
      Discord: nox#2686

• By Friedbones
      I came to Icy Veins to setup my Elemental Shaman only to find your Talent setup does not match what is offered in the game presently.  Below I have listed what I see in my current in-game talent setup and bolded those items that do not match your setup at all.
      Current in-game Talents listed:                                                   Your Listing:                      
      15 Exposed Elements Echo of the Elements Elemental Blast               Earthen Rage 30 Aftershock Master of Elements Totem Mastery       Call the Thunder 45 Spirit Wolf Earth Shield Static Charge         60 High Voltage Storm Elemental Liquid Magma Totem       Master of the Elements 75 Nature's Guardian Ancestral Guidance Wind Rush Totem         90 Earthen Rage Primal Elementalist Icefury       Surge of Power 100 Unlimited Power Stormkeeper Ascendance         I thought someone here should know about these differences because it appears there has been no update recently to your setup.   I know that I personally would appreciate an update so that I can adjust my in-game setup to work better.
    • By FoxShine
      To apply: https://goo.gl/forms/YbKQRIcEyXt0XAaC2
      Hello!! This is Starby from Velocity on Sargeras[A]. We're an established guild, that does mythic raiding in the morning/daytime. We're looking to enhance our roster with skilled and reliable players. If you're a mythic raider looking for a fresh start with BFA, and are interested in morning/daytime raiding -- check out Velocity!
      The goal of Velocity is to take down mythic bosses and have fun in the process. We’re searching for like-minded players who are interested in playing at a high level in a laid-back environment. If you can joke around, then focus up when you need to; this is the guild for you. 
      Our main roster is composed of veteran players. Some of us have been playing together for a little over a year. We have a solid core for our dream team – we’re simply looking for a few more to round us out! 
        [A] <Velocity> 6/8M 8/8H

Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs 
        Recruitment Needs
      Ranged  – Warlock, Mage
      Melee – Windy Monk, Rogue 
      **** Offspecs are a huge plus!!

Requirements
      Some Mythic raiding experienced. Being relatively active outside of raid is preferred. Able to focus while joking around, and vica versa.

Attendance
      We're dedicated and ambitious players, so commitment to our raid times is necessary. We’re interested in consistent players who are realistic about their day-to-day schedule. Raiders have to communicate in the event of tardiness or absences. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask for is a heads up!

Trial Period
      Demonstrate teamwork, attendance and play over  6 consecutive "raid days" (two weeks), after an agreed upon start date. 

What you can Expect from us:
      Dedicated leadership, communication, well defined goals, and a sense of community. Apart from raiding we also run M+ with each other every week.  

What we expect from you:
      Players who can survive and react to mechanics, while putting up big numbers. Many players struggle to do one, we are looking for both. Apart from this, just be a friendly. It might also be a good idea to bring a sense of humor. 
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Go ahead and apply online, leave a reply here and/or send us a tell on BNET/Discord. You could also go old school and send in-game mail to Starby-Sargeras or Foxshine-Sargeras! 
      To apply: https://goo.gl/forms/YbKQRIcEyXt0XAaC2
      Thanks for checking us out and we hope to see you in gchat soon. 😃

BNET
      Fox#1713 (GM)
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410 
      Mindclash#1800

Discord
      Fox#7009
      Starby#8682
    • By Narii625
      SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am/2am* Server Time (CT)
      CURRENT PROGRESSION: 1/8M 8/8H
      iLVL REQUIREMENT: 365+

CURRENTLY RECRUITING
      Tank Healer Need Holy Paladin All DPS Pref Mage/Shaman for BL ABOUT US
      Currently looking for skilled semi-hardcore raiders for Mythic Uldir and the next raid tier.
      Booty Pirates is a semi-hardcore, close-knit late night guild that hangs out in Discord frequently. We enjoy joking around, playing alts, doing Mythic+, playing other games, or just hanging out. 
      Players wanting just Mythic+ and a casual experience (no raiding) are welcomed!
      Fun guild events are scheduled often!
      TLDR; we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. 
      (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)
                *Raid can be extended to 4 hours on Fridays, but will be announced ahead of time.
      JOINING THE BOOTY PIRATES CREW
      Please follow the link below to fill out our app. (For both Raiders and Mythic+/Casual.)
      Start the app here! 
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299
      In-Game Name: Pluu
    • By Scerwyn
      Gatekeeper is a mixed group of hardcore, semi-hardcore, and casual players.

We are currently progressing through Heroic Uldir.  We are 5/8. 

We are looking for all competent roles for our raid progression roster.  Tanks and Healers are needed the most - but also looking for DPS.  But everyone is welcome!

Our raid times are Wednesday 8:30-10:30 EST, Friday 8:30-11:30pm EST, and Saturday 8:30-11:30pm EST. 

High ilevel is not a requirement.  But confidence in ones class and the ability to learn mechanics is a MUST if you wish to join our raid roster.  We will run you through Mythic+ and Raid to gear you up.  Skill will always mean more to us than ilevel, as long as you’re willing to do the content and strive to play your roll at a high level.  We will actively work with you to help you improve.  

You can contact us by email at: DalaranGatekeeper@gmail.com

Or message me on Battlenet at Jacob#16308

Or message us in game at
      Scerwyn-Dalaran
      Revenage-Dalaran
      Ailinaa-Dalaran