FORUMS
Stan

DirectX9 Support Ending This Summer

BH26BOO07VKA1504912207191.jpg

Heroes of the Storm will no longer run for players using the 32-bit game client or DirectX9 in the coming months.

Blizzard will no longer support DirectX9 and the 32-bit version of the Heroes of the Storm client starting July 2018. The vast majority of players are now running the 64-bit version of the game & DirectX11 or higher.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

In the coming months, we’re planning to end support for DirectX9 and the 32-bit version of the Heroes of the Storm client. DirectX has had several major releases since DX9, and the vast majority of players in the Heroes community are now running the 64-bit version of the game, along with DirectX11 or higher.

Once support ends, Heroes of the Storm will no longer run for players who are attempting to use the 32-bit game client or DirectX9. Please also note that while the 64-bit Heroes client might still be playable on some machines using DirectX10, this may not be the case for all configurations, which is why we recommend that all our players upgrade to at least DirectX11.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you‘re not already using the 64-bit Heroes of the Storm client and DX11 or higher, we encourage you to consider making the switch prior to July of this year, which is when we aim to go live with the planned changes.

35 minutes ago, XeaKon said:

Seems like Blizzard is trying to force us to buy the latest stuff. Greedy companies!

So you are complaining that you cant use a technology thats almost 20 years old? Come on now...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XeaKon said:

Seems like Blizzard is trying to force us to buy the latest stuff. Greedy companies!

I tell you the whole story:

After Fenix update people with win32(including me) got a problem.. an unexpected game crash which closes the game every single match!!!it was about something like core:out of memory error something I don't remember what exactly it was..many people came to froum and asked about fixing the issue..so they said we are aware of the problem now and we are trying to fix it..about 7days later and people still ask and they said we still have no new updates to fix this..now it seems they failed in fixing problem after 1 week and seems they don't care about small group of people using win32 so what's the easiest way?yes stop supporting 32bit version..I just said this because I had same problem and I made many topics on *EU tech and support* froum..so after being disrespected by the team,I just stopped playing hots because I like my damn win7 x86 and I'm comfort with it and I'm not going to change it..instead,Im downloading lol and Dota to see which one is better and I will start playing them..(they still support win XP, woah!)

Ehr... how do you still have 32 bits and Win7 now?

My computers didn't last long enough to still run on Win 7, and I had them for 4-5 years before crucial components gave out (though my last PC is still in use with a new HDD, it just wasn't good enough for streaming anymore). Even then, Windows 7 came out at least a decade ago, so... yeah...

I am inclined to agree with WuStyle, though I do see where you are coming from.

Edited by Aasgier

56 minutes ago, MZLICH said:

After Fenix update people with win32(including me) got a problem.. an unexpected game crash which closes the game every single match!!!it was about something like core:out of memory error something I don't remember what exactly it was..many people came to froum and asked about fixing the issue..so they said we are aware of the problem now and we are trying to fix it..about 7days later and people still ask and they said we still have no new updates to fix this..now it seems they failed in fixing problem after 1 week and seems they don't care about small group of people using win32 so what's the easiest way?yes stop supporting 32bit version..I just said this because I had same problem and I made many topics on *EU tech and support* froum..so after being disrespected by the team,I just stopped playing hots because I like my damn win7 x86 and I'm comfort with it and I'm not going to change it..instead,Im downloading lol and Dota to see which one is better and I will start playing them..(they still support win XP, woah!)

If the latest update is causing memory issues with win32 then in fairness, Blizz's options are a bit limited. To fix the issues they'd probably need to roll back on the feature/collection of features which are causing the memory leak/balloon (don't know the exact error so guessing here) which could potentially restrict the functionality of what they want the game/client to do. Running into the future, they'll want to do even more and having to dance around the memory issues may not be realistic for them in their plans.

In fairness; since most of the playbase is using tech that don't have this issue and since the issue in only occurring on tech that is reasonably old, it's not unreasonable for them to advise upgrading. Otherwise they'd be diverting resources to fix an issue that could potentially take them a long time, take them away from the plans they have in place and away from other bugs affecting everyone. Also remember that this game is free to play.

On the side, lol is pretty good, so I hope you enjoy it ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MurkyFelix said:

If the latest update is causing memory issues with win32 then in fairness, Blizz's options are a bit limited. To fix the issues they'd probably need to roll back on the feature/collection of features which are causing the memory leak/balloon (don't know the exact error so guessing here) which could potentially restrict the functionality of what they want the game/client to do. Running into the future, they'll want to do even more and having to dance around the memory issues may not be realistic for them in their plans.

In fairness; since most of the playbase is using tech that don't have this issue and since the issue in only occurring on tech that is reasonably old, it's not unreasonable for them to advise upgrading. Otherwise they'd be diverting resources to fix an issue that could potentially take them a long time, take them away from the plans they have in place and away from other bugs affecting everyone. Also remember that this game is free to play.

On the side, lol is pretty good, so I hope you enjoy it ^^

And what about people who can't afford an upgrade? I know my 10-year-old dinosaur of a laptop needs retiring, but that's like a good couple grand at least and I'm barely living tiny paycheck to tiny paycheck. HotS is one of my only solaces (especially since I couldn't afford WoW anymore) and it's been essentially gone since the Fenix patch with no hope in sight.

Edited by SenatorBinks27

20 minutes ago, SenatorBinks27 said:

And what about people who can't afford an upgrade? I know my 10-year-old dinosaur of a laptop needs retiring, but that's like a good couple grand at least and I'm barely living tiny paycheck to tiny paycheck. HotS is one of my only solaces (especially since I couldn't afford WoW anymore) and it's been essentially gone since the Fenix patch with no hope in sight.

I think that, unfortunately, this boils down to the discussion surrounding pleasing the majority. Of course, this decision will hurt some people, but they are very much the minority. If keeping something that helps the minority hinders progress in the future for the majority, Blizz will always look to please the majority. I'm sure they looked at alternatives, but I doubt it makes any business sense for them to try maintain two versions unless there was a much, much larger section of people requiring it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WuStyle said:

So you are complaining that you cant use a technology thats almost 20 years old? Come on now...

3 hours ago, MurkyFelix said:

on tech that is reasonably old, it's not unreasonable for them to advise upgrading.

Inb4, Blizz still using SC2 engine for HotS, causing lags, FPS drops and reconnect never happening-talk about setting the good example lul (no bashing anyone, just sayin')

12 hours ago, SteveFrost said:

Inb4, Blizz still using SC2 engine for HotS, causing lags, FPS drops and reconnect never happening-talk about setting the good example lul (no bashing anyone, just sayin')

No.this issue just happened after Fenix update,I was using highest quality,without any lags and fps (if I got lags it was about my crap network)or something else..and reconnecting already is same problem among all players...as I said I think they could fix it but they didn't care about small group of people like me..so they just made this decision..why they did this while all of our systems just passed the improvement on system requirements which occurred on HOTS2.0? they also stopped supporting win xp and Vista months ago which means hots still doesn't need this new system req.

On 4.4.2018 at 10:33 AM, MZLICH said:

I got to throw my story in. I used to play on WinXP 32bit for a long time until last year. My PC got blue screens and the game was crashing every match. I made forum posts and asked for help. Nothing really helped. At that time I had enough and got a new PC (not used, but not the newest technology) for just 480€ with Windows7 64bit pre installed. I just wanted to get rid of all gaming struggles I had, but I was surprised that I could run HotS even on Ultra now. I could even start trying Overwatch and many other games of this decade.
In the end I am glad I made that effort instead of being stuck at Minecraft, Skyrim and other old 32bit games. 

The world of PC is desired to evolve in hardware and software and actively played games should evolve as well. It rather sucks that I cannot play my old favourite games from 1998 to 2005 anymore because they cannot handle any technology that was released after. Only the Blizzard titles from that time are up to date. In the end you always just get the best performance results by getting a new system. It doesn't even require the newest high end 5000$ CPUs to get a really good performance. 500 bucks every five years suits me well as a poor college student. You sometimes have to fix your end of the problem if you want reliable results.

In the end it is your choice if you want to play the games you love or you just play what the limits of your system allow you. I chose not to be limited in my gaming choice. Not just for HotS, but for any game that I couldnt play properly or play at all.

Edited by Alkasar

12 hours ago, Alkasar said:

I got to throw my story in. I used to play on WinXP 32bit for a long time until last year. My PC got blue screens and the game was crashing every match. I made forum posts and asked for help. Nothing really helped. At that time I had enough and got a new PC (not used, but not the newest technology) for just 480€ with Windows7 64bit pre installed. I just wanted to get rid of all gaming struggles I had, but I was surprised that I could run HotS even on Ultra now. I could even start trying Overwatch and many other games of this decade.
In the end I am glad I made that effort instead of being stuck at Minecraft, Skyrim and other old 32bit games. 

The world of PC is desired to evolve in hardware and software and actively played games should evolve as well. It rather sucks that I cannot play my old favourite games from 1998 to 2005 anymore because they cannot handle any technology that was released after. Only the Blizzard titles from that time are up to date. In the end you always just get the best performance results by getting a new system. It doesn't even require the newest high end 5000$ CPUs to get a really good performance. 500 bucks every five years suits me well as a poor college student. You sometimes have to fix your end of the problem if you want reliable results.

In the end it is your choice if you want to play the games you love or you just play what the limits of your system allow you. I chose not to be limited in my gaming choice. Not just for HotS, but for any game that I couldnt play properly or play at all.

I wished I could choose between choices but ugh,for somebody who lives in a poor middle east country and  it's not really easy to get new one..my income is about 360$per month and I just can spend the day with it and keep remained extra I get for net bills,and yeah that's reason I just play hots and hs,I liked ow more but I had not enough to pay..so let's be honet,I'm just mad because I can't play the game anymore(u know after 3 years its hard abit)..well,I think I had to start with lol because it still need low system requirements in order not to be sad right now...

Uncommon Patron

Blizzard just decided that there are few enough win32 users to warrant a termination of the support. However this isn't unrelated to the agreements between software devs and harware developing comanies. It doesn't "hinder" the majority.

42 minutes ago, MZLICH said:

I wished I could choose between choices but ugh,for somebody who lives in a poor middle east country and  it's not really easy to get new one..my income is about 360$per month and I just can spend the day with it and keep remained extra I get for net bills,and yeah that's reason I just play hots and hs,I liked ow more but I had not enough to pay..so let's be honet,I'm just mad because I can't play the game anymore(u know after 3 years its hard abit)..well,I think I had to start with lol because it still need low system requirements in order not to be sad right now...

Alright. Then I feel your pain :( I hope you find the fun within DotA2 or LoL. I quit LoL quickly because I played too much classic MOBAs in Warcraft3 already. But if you haven't played one yet, you may enjoy it. Just ignore the toxic players and find your learning pace.