FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nerrisa

MW help

I left this in a wrong channel before so here goes, back in 6.2 I set out on a journey to learn every healer at a mid to high skill level. Now I’ve finally reached the one I was most excited for, the mistweaver. Problem is, 81 levels in I still have no idea what I’m doing. I thought I did, then 7.3.5 hit. Cata dungeons give me trouble. Now I’m not here to be like “give me a perfect rotation!” What I’m interested in is finding the core of the class. Pally has direct heals, Druid has hots, monk seems to be a weird mix but it just doesn’t feel strong, an I missing something?

Edited by Nerrisa

1 hour ago, Nerrisa said:

I left this in a wrong channel before so here goes, back in 6.2 I set out on a journey to learn every healer at a mid to high skill level. Now I’ve finally reached the one I was most excited for, the mistweaver. Problem is, 81 levels in I still have no idea what I’m doing. I thought I did, then 7.3.5 hit. Cata dungeons give me trouble. Now I’m not here to be like “give me a perfect rotation!” What I’m interested in is finding the core of the class. Pally has direct heals, Druid has hots, monk seems to be a weird mix but it just doesn’t feel strong, an I missing something?

From what you've given in terms of info, I don't really know anything about what you are doing while playing the class. You're still leveling, which means you have no artifact ability, no final talents, no tier, no proper trinkets, etc.

At top gear, Monk is solid at putting out that "burst" of healing, at least if they set it up properly. On most fights, however, they aren't going to perform as well as your Druids and Paladins. They're not in the best place, but they're not bad. 

What do you normally "do" to heal?

2 hours ago, Nerrisa said:

Pally has direct heals, Druid has hots, monk seems to be a weird mix but it just doesn’t feel strong, an I missing something?

This is actually what I enjoy about MW. You can alter your playstyle and which buttons you use to suit a wider variety of situations than many healers. The core of this revolves around Thunder Focus Tea, which you should have as a spell but you don't have access to the talent tier which buffs it until level 90 iirc.

Druids can't really save somebody if they get chunked to 10% and are about to take some extra incidental damage, but Monks can buff Enveloping Mist and Effuse (or EM twice) with Thunder Focus Tea and pop somebody's health back to full. Likewise their Artifact Weapon or Life Cocoon could do the same thing.

Paladin's can't really blanket the raid without a major cooldown, but Monks can keep multiple Renewing Mist rolling on the raid and spam Essence Font / Chi Burst / Vivify (and RJW, with the talent) to top multiple people at once and give a strong HoT boost to the raid

Mistweaver is very much a jack of all trades spec, and can change up their style and toolkit to suit a huge variety of situations

4 hours ago, Carrn said:

Mistweaver is very much a jack of all trades spec, and can change up their style and toolkit to suit a huge variety of situations

I'd definitely say that, if you wanted to give them a "strength", AoE burst is pretty amazing as MW. You don't notice it much in M+, but if you're playing another healer on Garothi and you have a MW in your group, you really notice them being there after the slam hits.

Personally, I love maining MW and I've never found myself falling behind any healers, unless its something that another healer excels at, like druids on Varimathras etc.  The biggest thing I've found that is a problem with new MWs is that they're afraid to use their mana and they usually don't combo enough using Essence Font/mastery.  Granted the artifact gives a ton of extra healing with it's passives, you  shouldn't be having a problem keeping a group up.  My usual run of the mill healing pattern: Low but consistent damage to 2 or more people, Essence Font > Thunder Focus > Renewing Mists on whatever targets might need it (remember you get a good burst of healing for every spell you cast on a target and double the effect with those affected by Essence Font). With medium to high group damage, you do the same thing, except throw in Vivify where you need it, and again always prioritize targets under the effects of Essence Font. Don't be afraid to throw your bubble if someone does something stupid. For low dmg tank healing, just Renewing Mist > Effuse > channel Soothing. For medium to high healing, Enveloping Mists > Renewing Mists > Effuse > channel or cast Effuse if it's really bad damage while keeping your Enveloping Mist HoT on the tank. Also remember that Vivify is more mana efficient than Effuse if there is 2 damaged targets and that your mastery only procs off the main target of Vivify or you can always Thunder Focus > Enveloping for an instant burst for oh shit moments, or the tea to make Vivify free, or use it to cast 2 (or 3 talented) Renewing Mists (also giving you that many bursts of healing from your mastery), you're extremely versatile and have an answer to every situation. If there is group damage along with high tank damage, throw Essence font in there after your cast Enveloping. Also to be noted, if you don't feel comfortable DPSing during low damage phases (it takes a while to get comfortable with your healing enough to know when you should DPS because its such a large change from being at range throwing heals), just channel Soothing Mists on the tank procced by an Effuse or something cheap. I guess basically, don't under estimate Essence Font and don't be afraid of it's mana cost, and always combo out of it if you can, It's Free Real Estate. 

Edited by Rodee
added more info

18 hours ago, Rodee said:

I guess basically, don't under estimate Essence Font and don't be afraid of it's mana cost, and always combo out of it if you can, It's Free Real Estate. 

You can really enforce that emphasis on Essence Font by looking at Tarales' log on Kin:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2L8MKhBNG1nrJjpm#fight=23&type=healing&source=7

It's the only #1 healing spot held by a Monk on any Mythic boss and his Essence Font is absolutely killing it.