FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Faction Leader Videos

BO2gos3.jpg

Well, Blizzard has been hyping up the faction strife a whole lot lately, starting from the commercials showcasing faction pride in RL, to choosing your side via twitter hashtags, and now we have two videos showcasing, well, the literal faces of the two factions:

So, scary murderous face lady and serious, determined and wistful Brad Pitt. Choose your side!!1

What do you think of the whole faction rivalry marketing campaign Blizzard have been going for with Battle for Azeroth? Has it stirred your faction pride and made you want to turn War Mode on?

And, just to keep you hyped up, here's the full Battle for Azeroth cinematic trailer, so you can enjoy the two leaders in their full glory:

Via: mmochampion.

• Like 1

If Rose Leslie/Ygritte isn't Sylvanas in any future movie, then I will quit WoW. Lol.

Ygritte - Sylvanas.png

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'm pretty sure Anduin and Sylvanas will bang by the end of BfA. The sexual tension is too stronk.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Valhalen said:

I'm pretty sure Anduin and Sylvanas will bang by the end of BfA. The sexual tension is too stronk.

Oh god no. And it's in my head now!

Sush you, don't give the devs ideas! Seeing some of the decisions they have been making... Ugh. (Also you gotta leave something for the fanfic writers).

Edited by lChronosl
  • Haha 1

Uncommon Patron

If they had written Sylvanas' motivation for starting the war better. Right now she feels like a Garrosh v2, and I find it hard to sympathise with her. As a leader of the Forsaken she fits the bill, and I really like the character, but not as the Warchief.
Horde had that "noble outcast" vibe earlier, and the tension felt naturalt, Garrosh as a bad guy was not bad, but now the story for the Horde feels bland, predictable and frankly a little boring. It certainly fits the theme of "the savages being agressive to the peace loving civilzations" all the way from WC 1, but why must it always be the Horde that has these characters. Trade Prince Gallywix is just despicable and has no counterpoint in the Alliance, neither has Sylvanas.
TBH I cant understand why Bain and Saurfang are still loyal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frostbeard said:

If they had written Sylvanas' motivation for starting the war better. Right now she feels like a Garrosh v2, and I find it hard to sympathise with her. As a leader of the Forsaken she fits the bill, and I really like the character, but not as the Warchief.

As you said, as the leader of the forsaken, she is perfect. And i think her situation, being the warchief, fits as well, since she "fell" into it, because she was chosen to lead the horde, by the previous warchief, or not? (i am not so much into the horde story, but that's what i caught) So who knows, maybe he manipulated by the old god's whispers (disguised as messages by loa or so) to choose her.

So maybe she isnt the perfect warchief, but she is supposed to be like this, fighting for the forsaken no matter what, and maybe grow from what will happen in this expansion and become the ideal warchief.

I kinda agree. Sylvanas was always fiercely aggressive when it came to vengeance regarding Arthas making her a banshee. Then in WoD/Legion she became the true Leader of the forsaken, looking for ways to save her people from inevitable extinction - Fierce, but reasonable. I played the first part of the questline - as most of you have I'd suppose - both from a Horde and an Alliance PoV. I'm a Horde main and for god's sake I loved Sylvanas' Character right from when we got her as Dark Ranger Hero in WC3: TfT. The way she's made to act now is far too brutal and reckless. There's no more cunning plans just smash the alliance bruteforce-style and that's that.

I think Garrosh 2.0 fits  actually quite nicely IMO. He wanted what he thought was best for the Horde - granted it got quite out of hand with his lust for Power and Orcs being the Master Race and such. Although a piece of me will die should we have to fight and kill Sylvanas as final boss in BfA.

As for her becoming Warchief you are right. Vol'jin chose her when the Horde got back from the Broken Shore in the Legion introduction Questline. You know, the one where Varian just went full SSJ – I must admit, even being mainly Horde, Varian won huge credits for me during that scene just from his last words alone. That last line of his kneeling before Gul'dan will always give me chills.

I don't remember if from an Alliance PoV that's revealed, but Vol'jin is wounded during the battle. He's taken to Orgrimmar afterwards where he chooses Sylvanas to be the new Warchief and ultimately dies from his wounds.

Edited by Evincare
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Uncommon Patron

I have just started reading "Before the Storm" and Sylvanas POV so far (only first chapter so no spoilers) makes her a scheming oppurtunist with little regard for the Horde as such. She resents being trust into the role as Warchief, but will use it to save the Forsaken. Her motivation is simple. Save the Forsaken with any means neccessary. Deny the Alliance with any means neccessary. Use the Horde as a weapon to achieve her goals. 

They ought to have made Jaina an agressor seeking revenge for Theramore and manipulating the Kul Tiras into increasing the tension between the Alliance and Horde by manipulating an inexperienced Anduin.

This coupled with Genn having a personal agenda vs. Sylvanas and "manipulating" a grieving Anduin to blame Sylvanas and this leading to a siege of Undercity and a full out war between the Alliance and the Horde.

Rather we got some stale tripe with Gallywix being "hurrdurr" greedy goblin and Sylvanas being "derp" kill Malfurion as a preemtive strike to deny the Alliance Darnassus as a staging ground.

Edited by Frostbeard
typo
  • Like 2

I think its interesting that when you go to astranaar as horde you are never ordered to kill civilians, but when you go there as alliance, everyone was slaughtered and there some rather villainous sounding Forsaken assassins lurking about...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What do I think about the faction thing?   I think it is much overdone.  As much as I admire the efforts on the part of Blizzard to create some sort of epic conflict again, specifically between factions, I was beginning to like working with folks from The Horde on PvE challenges -- now I feel sad that those days may be forever gone ?

on a query re: lore of The Horde -- I do think it might be useful to do a brief review re: how Silvanas got to where she is today (beginning of Bfa).  Horde Loremasters, please correct...I have a number of Horde characters and Alliance characters.  Admittedly I have more Alliance than Horde and I do appreciate it when I can play my Horde characters.  Please, oh please, Horde lore experts, correct where necessary on the leadership of The Horde...thank you ?

I am certain the Horde folks can speak more specifically to the question as to how Sylvanas got to where she is. 

My best memory of how Silvanus got to where she is had nothing to do with her qualifications and everything to do with the fact that there was no one else capable of taking over the position of Warchief.

In many ways Silvanas is very similar to Garroth with no real care for The Horde itself but only for her own very selfish agenda, an agenda which included none but The Forsaken.  As much as I admire her (Silvanas's) compassion and commitment to the walking undead (The Forsaken), Silvanas has no care or compassion for any other races of The Horde (including Nightfallen, Trolls, Tauren or Goblins) and really should not have the Mantle of Warchief.  This lack on the part of Silvanus has, so far, only resulted in pain and sorrow for many of The Horde.

Please, oh please, Horde lore experts, correct where necessary...thank you ?

I have more than a few Horde and Alliance characters.

Now to the lore of the Horde leadership from what I can recall from the last 9 years I've been playing WoW

circe Cataclysm: Thrall felt he could no longer actually lead The Horde mostly due to his selfless and very true love for Garona. 

Thrall offered Warchief mantle to Vol'jin - Initially Vol'Jin refused leaving room for Garroth Hellscream to step in as Warchief.

The Horde, if I remember lore correctly, shouted hoorah! for Garroth until it became clear that Garroth cared not a whit for the Horde in general.   Garroth, as it turned out, cared only for power and only for the welfare of the Orc's.

Circe: End of Pandaria expansion beginning of Draenor expansion. 

Garroth Hellscream captured and subdued by a joint effort of The Alliance and The Horde.  Garroth escapes to Draenor thanks to more than a little help from our friend Gul-dan.  Thrall, very upset with himself about his choice for Garroth Hellscream as Warchief.  Thrall desperately seeking someone to take over the position as Warchief...with no luck.  One possible exception appears from the races of the Trolls;  Vol'jin.

Circe: beginning of Legion expansion -- Silvanas withdraws her troops from the Battle of The Broken Shores leaving the Alliance  to fend for themselves (Silvanas was ordered to retreat, she did not just up and walk away, sorry Jaina ? )

Vol'jin is dead.

Silvanas and her archers disappear from the battlefield.

The Horde needs a new Warchief.

Silvanas is at the top of that list (probably because of her compassion for The Forsaken).  The choice to put Silvanas at the top of the list was a choice that Vol'jin had to make should he meet an unexpected end. 

Vol'jin had appointed Silvanas (temporarily in his stead) to lead The Horde until such time as a Horde Council could be established make a final determination as to who should lead the Horde once the Legion assault had been ended.

circe beginning of Battle For Azeroth end of Legion:  Silvanas is acting Warchief for the Horde, Anduin Wrynn is King of Stormwind.

(I really wish we hadn't lost Vol'jin ?  That was very sad day for The Horde)

Basically I have very few points to add, although I would not consider myself Expert in Horde lore. More a WoW addict with some interest in lore.

Everything is basically correct with the major point standing - because I was thinking exactly that just at Lunch before - that Sylvanas becoming Warchief was certainly strengthened by the absence of other viable candidates. Bain is far too young and inexperienced and quite sadly has never played a major role in lore, like his father has. Lor'themar doesn't fit IMO and Gallywix - yeah right... That would have left Saurfang or Sylvanas. Saurfang would certainly be a great Warchief but I think he would never take that up as he sees his role as advisor more than as Warchief himself.

Thrall stepped down as Warchief certainly part because of his love for his family/Aggra (his wifes name; Garona is another Orc, the stabby stab assassin one, who killed King Llane Wrynn, Varians dad). Another part is certainly due to becoming the Earth Warder, which to me seems to be what the Dragon Aspect of the Earth, Neltharion aka Deathwing was, after Deathwings defeat at the end of Cataclysm. So more time for shaman and earth stuff and less for Warchief.

As far as Sylvanas being "acting" Warchief of the Horde, this kind of falls into line with what other people have said before. On paper that is certainly true but during Legion she's basically absent the whole time with Saurfang doing all the Stuff the Warchief did in Grommash Hold before. Coincidentally she is absent to pursue her own quest (Stormheim questline for Horde), which again has nothing to do with the Horde whatsoever but simply the Forsaken.

Btw TaliesinC you are not by any chance THE Taliesin, are you?

Semi-On Topic - Faction leaders:

Before the Storm referenced a meeting between factions, has that happened yet in game, or would that be after the current War of Thorns?

3 minutes ago, PatrickHenry said:

Semi-On Topic - Faction leaders:

Before the Storm referenced a meeting between factions, has that happened yet in game, or would that be after the current War of Thorns?

I hadn't read the book yet, but I assumed the events in the book happened somehow before the starting events of BfA, and is not something we would see in game.

4 hours ago, Evincare said:

Btw TaliesinC you are not by any chance THE Taliesin, are you?

4 hours ago, Evincare said:

Thank you Evincare for both the clarification and the complement on the name.  No, not THE Taliesin, but that particular bard is one of my role models ?

Let me rephrase then - because I didn't even know there was a Bard called Taliesin tbh. The Taliesin I was referring to would be the one with the awesome content on Youtube. So did you do some WoW-realted Youtube stuff lately? ?