FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Shadow Priest PvP

On 3/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, Guest Nitram said:

can any1 make a scale of the numbers that are best for pvp sp

What do you mean?

Guest Awert3sp

would it be worth to take a sinister gladiator's medallion of an higher ilvl instead of the sinister gladiator's insignia?

Excellent Guide...

There is an error in the guide

Section 4 where you show the talents with check marks and X. On the third Tier It shows us that Twist of Fate is the talent to select. However in section 5.3 where you explain the Tier 3 talent selected it show us the Talent Misery.

Hope this helps...

8 hours ago, Skitzo said:

Excellent Guide...

There is an error in the guide

Section 4 where you show the talents with check marks and X. On the third Tier It shows us that Twist of Fate is the talent to select. However in section 5.3 where you explain the Tier 3 talent selected it show us the Talent Misery.

Hope this helps...

Will pass it on to Mysticall, thanks!

Couple things wrong about this guide. Auspicious Spirits is a broken talent right now. If you have Spiteful Apparitions (as suggested) your Shadowy Apparitions will actually deal less damage when you select this talent.

Also you don't even mention Shadow Word: Death at all or explain how it can be useful in certain situations where you need the extra burst to finish of a more tanky class (war, dk). Even if Auspicious Spirits was working properly, Shadow Word: Death at least deserves a mention for its usefulness in pvp. Maybe not as much in 3v3, but if you're running 2v2 with a healer (as suggested) you will need the extra burst to finish of enemies a lot of the time with you being the only dps. 

Mindbender is also overlooked, especially in pvp where you're typically the main target (as mentioned) being able to generate insanity instantly on a 1 min cd is very strong. It also adds significant burst to your cc chain when you know that the Mindbender's auto attacks increase in speed with more haste. I don't disagree that Lingering Insanity is a good choice, but Mindbender has it's positives too and it's just completely not mentioned. 

The spec is not nearly as cut and dry as you try and make it seem here. Just think it's important to show the usefulness of other talent selections, especially in pvp. 

Guest Raizinz

Ever consider adding Void Elf for Preternatural CalmPreternatural Calm? Considering how much we channel, as well as allowing you to get a life-saving self-heal or two off that could have otherwise been delayed, I believe it to be worth mentioning.

Guest shadow dude

I have some questions about this guide. 

First, you suggest taking Greater Fade and Translucent Images. Doesn't Greater Fade make it so that Translucent Images has almost no effect? Since all damaging abilities will miss you in GF, then the damage reduction of Translucent Images would be wasted, right?

Second, you say that haste has a higher priority than vers. But you recommend taking vers ring enchants and jewel clusters. Is there a specific reason for this?

For conduits you mention that Shattered Perceptions is the best conduit, but in the provided conduit tree you take Haunting Apparitions. What do you actually recommend? In what situations would you take one or the other? 

Also on the topic of Conduits: why would you not take Dissonant Echoes? It dramatically increases the damage of one of your primary burst abilities plus synergizes with your level 60 tier talent recommendation. Surely it at least deserves a mention, right? 

Another conduit question: why do we not want to take double potency conduits? Is it because Agent of Chaos can remove your dots? 

Do you ever recommend running Sephuz? It's cc reduction makes it a great candidate for PVP, plus with our constant dispel spam it has very high uptime. Surprised it wasn't mentioned. 

I know that this is your guide and I am sure you are a very accomplished SP. This doesn't have to be a cookie cutter guide but as a learning player I think I would like to better understand why you deviate from common advice and perhaps address some of the inconsistencies of the content. 

14 hours ago, Guest shadow dude said:

I have some questions about this guide. 

First, you suggest taking Greater Fade and Translucent Images. Doesn't Greater Fade make it so that Translucent Images has almost no effect? Since all damaging abilities will miss you in GF, then the damage reduction of Translucent Images would be wasted, right?

Second, you say that haste has a higher priority than vers. But you recommend taking vers ring enchants and jewel clusters. Is there a specific reason for this?

For conduits you mention that Shattered Perceptions is the best conduit, but in the provided conduit tree you take Haunting Apparitions. What do you actually recommend? In what situations would you take one or the other? 

Also on the topic of Conduits: why would you not take Dissonant Echoes? It dramatically increases the damage of one of your primary burst abilities plus synergizes with your level 60 tier talent recommendation. Surely it at least deserves a mention, right? 

Another conduit question: why do we not want to take double potency conduits? Is it because Agent of Chaos can remove your dots? 

Do you ever recommend running Sephuz? It's cc reduction makes it a great candidate for PVP, plus with our constant dispel spam it has very high uptime. Surprised it wasn't mentioned. 

I know that this is your guide and I am sure you are a very accomplished SP. This doesn't have to be a cookie cutter guide but as a learning player I think I would like to better understand why you deviate from common advice and perhaps address some of the inconsistencies of the content. 

Hello!

So for the first question. Greater Fade is great for avoiding damage and there is a good chance that you will keep it active for the full duration. However, that is not the case every time. Greater Fade is great for getting out of a Kyrian Spear from a Warrior, but you might want to cancel it earlier than the full duration. In these situations, the damage reduction is great because even though your Greater Fade was cancelled early, you still get the damage reduction.

Vers is more important than Haste and should probably be prioritized higher. 

Shattered Perceptions should always be taken and Dissonant Echoes is probably the second best conduit for Potency. This just helps with burst damage.

Sephuz is probably one of the best you can use. That and the Twin Moons are both really good

Guest shadow dude

Thanks for responding! I think that answers my questions. I am going to try to run with Shattered Perceptions now. Thanks again!

Guest RBGs

Would like to see RBG talents, conduits, etc incorporated into the guide as well if possible.  

On 6/18/2021 at 3:05 AM, Guest RBGs said:

Would like to see RBG talents, conduits, etc incorporated into the guide as well if possible.  

Sure! With changes 9.1 changes coming, I will be sure to note talents that could work in RBGs!

Is the secondary stats diminishing returns still at 30% now in Dragonflight patch 1? If so surely we aren't reaching 30% vers this patch or at least not early. Why is the suggested gem the haste/vers gem and not the vers/haste gem? If I am not missing something all the recommended pvp gear + 2x vers ring enchant + 2x vers haste gems + int vers gem you still don't reach the 30%

edit: uuh I realised that icy veins might show what stats the items give in PvE ilvl not PvP, in that case you would go over the 6k vers that give you 30%.

But don't you actually go over 30% then even with going haste vers? I think in that case you'd want haste ring enchants and maybe not even haste vers but haste mastery gems

Edited by Kobis

15 hours ago, Kobis said:

Is the secondary stats diminishing returns still at 30% now in Dragonflight patch 1? If so surely we aren't reaching 30% vers this patch or at least not early. Why is the suggested gem the haste/vers gem and not the vers/haste gem? If I am not missing something all the recommended pvp gear + 2x vers ring enchant + 2x vers haste gems + int vers gem you still don't reach the 30%

edit: uuh I realised that icy veins might show what stats the items give in PvE ilvl not PvP, in that case you would go over the 6k vers that give you 30%.

But don't you actually go over 30% then even with going haste vers? I think in that case you'd want haste ring enchants and maybe not even haste vers but haste mastery gems

Hi! Thank you for pointing that out. I have updated the games so that you use the Vers/Haste gems. I do think you should be stacking Haste gems to get more value out of DoTs and it's especially useful when you are being targetted and need to cast

• Like 1