FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Oldschoolnerd

Heirloom Nerf 8.1.5?

Heirlooms used to be 1 item level higher than blue drops for your level and same stats as blue drops.

Currently they are now 2 item levels lower and all stats are also 1 lower than the blue drops now. 

Did heirlooms take yet another nerf?

How will this affect twink numbers?

Will the prices be reduced? 

Edited by Oldschoolnerd
My poor grammar.

1 hour ago, Oldschoolnerd said:

Heirlooms use to be 1 item level higher than blue drops for your level and same stats as blue drops.

Currently they are now 2 item levels lower and all stats are also 1 lower than the blue drops now. 

Heirlooms have been worse than Rares since 7.3.5. Keep in mind though that there are plenty of inconsistencies with low-level gear when it comes to stats in relation to itemlevel.

I have yet to find any mention of a second nerf to heirlooms. Not that it matters, the scaling makes them still better than any other gear, especially if you put some enchants on them.

1 hour ago, Oldschoolnerd said:

Will the prices be reduced? 

The prices for upgrades up to 110 have been more than halfed.

I understand your viewpoints. I haven't seen anything about it eather. Only reason why I noticed is I'm leveling one and for the last 50 levels of LFG looting, they have always been 1 item level higher and the same stats (the day before the patch)

Now they are 2 levels lower and all stats are -1.

20190313_161835.jpg

Edited by Oldschoolnerd
Add photo

That's a nice screenshot, but unless you have one pre-8.1.5 we can't verify any changes ^^'

So, I did some digging. I didn't find much, but what I found is intriguing.

So first off, all I found about actual pre-8.1.5 heirloom stats is an old 7.3.5 PTR preview on wowhead, comparing pre-nerfed and nerfed heirlooms. Now, taking the Polished Breastplate of Valor on a lvl58 Character for example:

Pre-7.3.5                                                7.3.5 Nerfed                                          8.1.5 Live

Itemlevel 79                                          Itemlevel 79                                          Itemlevel 62

58 Armor                                               58 Armor                                               40 Armor

17 Strength/Intellect                           15 Str/Int                                                16 Str/Int

25 Stamina                                            23 Stamina                                            24 Stamina

It's important to keep in mind that we had an itemlevel squish with 8.0, so that's where that difference comes from.

I've tested this with other items at different levels, and it seems to me that between 7.3.5 and 8.1.5 they have actually reverted the nerfs to some extent.

A quick update, I found a screenshot of the Cloak of Hardened Steel (which was added in 8.1) at itemlevel 61 for a level 60 character. Yet on live it's actually 64. Same for the Battle Hymnal, which used to be 136@100, now it's 142@100.

So, there has either been a slight change in the scaling curve, or a simple small "buff".

Again, either way it's completely inconsequential. We are talking about a 5% difference in overall damage at most. Doesn't really matter when mobs day in less than 5 seconds.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:32 AM, Oldschoolnerd said:

Still I wish they would tell us why they made the change. 

I think it's really just a result of the addition of the 110-120 upgrade and a resulting change in the scaling curve. If they had actually intended to buff heirlooms, it wouldn't have been by such an insignificant amount.

23 hours ago, Oldschoolnerd said:

Just had an Epic drop while leveling

Yeah, they seem to have implemented the random upgrades from Legion/BfA quests into all quests now. And it's still as pointless as ever, I think it's just to condition new players to the idea of titanforging...