FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Knutsanity

LoN WoL or LoN Tempest Rush Flurry

Struggling as I am to get a decent monk going capable of GR 100 on Hardcore, I'm going with this TR Flurry Monk.   https://www.d3planner.com/453810375

But I'd appreciate if you guys would poke some holes in the D3 Planner and my build for me. Both in practice and in theory on the D3 planner, the Tempest Rush Flurry is better both for toughness and damage. Even better than the number for toughness because of the skill being a constantly moving, never restricted one. I lean heavily towards defence, but my buddies monk of the same build can manage dual wielding and still having a viable Aquila Cuirass. I imagine you guys would change a lot of rolls, at end game have higher caldessan's, but I went with mediocre rolls, for a realistic build that can be put together in a not too long period of playing, the passive could be changed with enough single resistance rolls of course. Just wanted to keep it more immediate for me in toughness accuracy. The gloves and weapon freeze, a couple other slots can as well, leaving blind more of an option. But one I like given the longer blind to a perfect circular area, and it's ability to pop right before releasing the Flurry to be sure. Blind, trapped and flurry release going so well together of course. Along with taeguk. Any of Taeguk, Esoteric and trapped can be replaced with Stricken, but I felt like the flurry is more in need of the other two for damage, and I need esoteric. 

However I have some questions about the planner. It showed the rabid strike as only 29% of the dmg in WoL for me. Should it not be 50% given Epiphany is constantly going?  Should it not be more if I ever took off esoteric for Enforcer?  Then for whatever reason it did not apply to Tempest Rush at all on the planner, does rabid strike not work with tempest rush? Odd for sure if so, or if it does work with TR dual wielding would be even more suggested. But I am thinking the D3planner is wrong about rabid strike on both accounts, anyone able to confirm that? In which case Enforcer also becomes an equally good damage choice to the others. 

Wouldn't mind if this build got tried and tinkered with for more damage for you guys, and tested against WoL, all things being equal it looks easier and better than WoL LoN. Then I can see what kind of tweaks I should look to do when trying to take it further offensively. Of course the guaranteed crit on 3 or less changes things, that has me thinking 30% crit, so that whether you hit 3 or 10 you get 3 crits with your flurry blast. Or instead trying to make sure you hit 3 or less. If you can do that while dual wielding with 700% crit dmg, it is pretty neat. 

I should note a cooldown gem in the helmet is a safe bet, especially if you pop blind more often at smaller flurries for smaller enemies. A resource gem in the helmet if you dual wield. I don't mind a bit of down time, just be careful in the couple seconds without epiphany to not lose the aquila cuirass at the wrong time should it happen. I also just pop blind only when I really want to be sure. I was wearing the blind helmet(another good option), if dual wielding and rabid strike really doesn't work with TR, then the sledge fist is another fist option, and there is tonnes of freeze so it is usually ok to save for when you really want the dmg. 
I should also note I like the control impairing rolls, which seem to mostly stop you from freezing and being knocked back. But that if that isn't enough, the Sunwoku TR build suggests krelms for the knockback and stun immunity, instead of my nemesis. 
I should also note that I am aware of the dodge tweaks I could make for toughness. Dodge is no good for Hardcore. The rare times that your 75% dodge equals 3-4-5 straight hits against you by elites may be super rare, but they also equal death and 1 death is all it takes. 

Edited by Knutsanity

I'd struggle less if I took it easy on GR levels, and waited until my gear was perfected with single resistance rolls and the harmony passive.  But I seemingly refuse to go lower than my max offensive capabilities. So honestly any monk advice for a solid toughness build is encouraged. As long as it isn't patience ? If Grifts don't take me 10 or more minutes, I aint doing them! But I also wanted to see if I am right about this being a superior build to the highest rated monk. Or if not, what I may be missing about the WoL. I do know the large area of the WoL helps, and it should be a little better damage wise against large packs, but only a little, only against large packs, and much more difficult defensively. Without the ability to time huge dmg bursts at appropriate times. 

Edited by Knutsanity

Looking at either build, it is possible to gain 76% cooldown with swiftness, but only recommended above 3K paragon really. Then you can lose a Dext and a few Vit. Replacing zodiac with CoE of course, and being a liberal with blind as you please in TR. 

did you make this build for season 17? You know that you have seasonal check box selected at the top left in D3planner, so the LoN buff is automatically applied. You do not need to slot the LoN rings. 

I have been playing around with a LoN TR build myself. I haven't gotten around to making a D3planner account yet, so no link to what I came up with.

I would strongly recommend dual wielding and running the witching hour belt along with wearing the obsidian ring. the 2 attack speed rolls from those 2 pieces of gear along with dual wielding allow for you to obtain 100 TR flurry stacks exactly every 20 seconds, aligning with Cold CoE rotation perfectly. 

while wearing the frost burn gloves, you do not need any other source of blind/freeze/stun in order to keep the buff from Caesar's memento up 100%. That being said you do not need the blind skill, blind belt, or  the azurath sword.  I found using a Sunkeeper was more beneficial for 30% damage to elites. unfortunately rabid strike doesn't seem to work well with TR. TR is a channeled skill, and thus has an activation and subsequent ticks of attacks/damage that follow. Rabid strike only mimic the actual activation, not all 5 ticks of damage. Additionally, the bulk of the damage comes from when you dump flurry stacks, which does not get mimic'd by rabid strike. 

I also opted to not use nems bracers, instead I went for wearing the andariels visage and cubing the leorics crown.

I use  CoE and obsidian ring, while cubing the unity for defense with follower while solo.

I swap to obsidian ring and stone of Jordan for group and cube the CoE

the skills I slotted were :

TR- Flurry,  Epiphany - desert shroud , Mystic ally - air ally , sweeping wind - inner storm, mantra of salvation - agility, and serintity - peaceful repose/ ascension.

dash is not needed, but if you must have it I recommend using a crystal fist. once you have the appropriate Cooldown and APS for obsidian ring cooldown, you will be able to maintain epiphany 100%, making you immune to CC effects at all times. TR allows you to rush through enemies, while having serenity slotted allows you a 3-4 second window of damage immunity to go in for the kill in dangerous situations or get out of sticky ones.

resources cost reduction from 1 weapon and 2 pieces of gear will suffice (weapon, obsidian ring, and shoulders). picking up the sweeping wind inner storm helps with resource, and allows you to not need 1 of your passives for resource regen.

Cooldown on 3 items and diamond in helm will achieve the cooldown needed with the higher APS towards obsidian. (shoulders/gloves, 1 weapon, obsidian ring.

Any form of aTR(flurry) build isn't suited for efficient trash killing in higher rift pushing. It is better suited for single target or elites/champions. That being said, giving up alot of Dex and Vit rolls to obtain 75% cdr would be ill advised. You would be better off picking up area damage rolls.

I currently have most of the pieces for my lon tr build minus the ceasars memento. A hit with 100 flurry stacks is hitting for roughly 20T, so should be 120T-140T with ceasars memento. I have no augments in, but do have 2150 paragon. 140T hit every 20 seconds comes out to 7T per second, plus any normal hits (averaging 2-3T per second). Even at 10T dps it only does that damage in a very small area. WoL does 30-50T per second to everything in a 50 yard radius. TR will not come close to WoL unfortunately.

• Like 1

You are a wealth of knowledge. I felt like my WoL was almost as optimised. But at the same time that was a while ago now, maybe wasn't quite as optimised as I thought, maybe my teammate didn't have as good of a character, and certainly we were much lower paragon. Right now at 1200 and a bit paragon I am seeing 12 Trillion blasts, less than 1 trillion normal, with ceasar's momento. Crazy you are high up enough to do 20 without. Appreciate the feedback!

for d3 planner, I don't think I have or anyone needs an account. It is worded like you would need one. But you just press save and it gives you a page address to copy. Also not sure how perfect it is, the whole testing part. Sometimes i feel it doesn't register the cooldown or resource generation properly, those things work better sometimes than others. It can give me 100% epiphany time one test, then go down to 70% other times without changing it. Or vice versa. The math symbols i don't understand in the skill priority section are confusing to me. I can half figure out how to use them, but often can't find out how to do something i know i should be able to. The health point part for the enemies are off, making bonuses for killing enemies irrelevant. 

Incredible toy to tinker with though, not gonna lie. But if I had too much cooldown, or resource generation that would be why.