FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
NoamNatan

Resto help

hello everyone, i recently started to invest my shaman alt as healer

at first i thought my healing output is nice, but when i started to do SoO normal

i found my healing is not so good at all compare to other healers in group

one guy told me i stacked way to much spirit but i don't want to run out of mana during the fight and i'm not often get out of mana completely.

i follow ask mr robot reforging etc, he said i shouldn't because it's not so good for healers, unless i set a spirit  cap. is there a spirit cap i should set?

here is my armory link

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Feilen/advanced

and log from today's 25m normal SoO

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/7sge0jh5wbk0hcpf/

please let me know if i need to change anything

or just doing something wrong

The short answer is "crit".

Most of your spells return mana when they crit.  With ~40% crit, casting Healing Wave becomes mana-positive, and you can spam Chain Heal for a very long time without running OOM.  I would absolutely move your red gems to orange int-crit, and a strong argument could be made for moving all of your gems to have crit on them.  A handful of gems and a few reforges on my gear took me from "OOM constantly" to "end fights with 80% mana", but then again crit is more effective in 10s than in 25s.

The long answer is a bit more involved, and depends on style.  Stoove and CptDan will likely chime in here later with some detailed information (including actual 25s experience) for you to digest, but I can offer some advice at least.  A lot of the suggestions you'll see for spirit-stacking are essentially related to how Mana Tide Totem works; even if your heals are low, the other healers will love you for how much mana it gives them.  I recommend casting it as soon as at least a third of your healers drop to 80% mana, and then on cooldown after that.

A few tricks you can use; when your metagem procs (make some very obvious alert for it if you have to), throw down a Magma Totem and a Healing Rain (and Healing Stream if it's not on CD).  If the metagem isn't active when you use Totemic Recall (glyphed), you'll get the full mana back even though it was free when you cast it!  This will earn you over 40k mana every time you do it, from the free Healing Rain and mana return of the totems.

Oh, and if you're farming stuff, be aware that shamans always look awful on logs because A) we don't have absorbs and B.) our mastery provides little value at 98% target hp.  100% overheal on some of your spells makes me think the other healers are basically just not giving you anything to do.

Started to look at your logs; if you are casting chain heal that much, you need better Riptide uptime.  Actually, you need better Riptide uptime anyway, it's very mana-efficient, especially unglyphed.  Always try to cast it on someone who has Riptide on them.  If you're glyphing it, you want to get it rolling on as many people as possible, too.  If you don't want to roll it on everyone, don't glyph it (better mana efficiency).  Try to cast Unleash Elements before you drop a Healing Rain, too; the buff applies to the entire duration of healing rain, which is fantastic.

Also?  I am jealous of your Dark Shaman transmog.  That box eludes me still.

• Like 1

Hey Noam,

I will do a more detailed analysis ft he logs, etc tonight when I have some more time. I did have a few quick pointers to give you though:

Stats look okay for your gear level. I would try to get your haste up a bit. Look for a good healing rain break that you can reach pretty easily. Ill also do a sample reforge using your gear so you can have a few options to test out.

For your glyphs, read up on the resto sham guide here on icy-veins. Learn each glyph they recommend at one point or another. You will find that most resto shaman have maybe 5 or 6 glyphs that are used in different combinations on different encounters. Ones that I use a lot are fire elemental, HST, riptide, chaining, cleansing, and I'm sure a couple of others.

AMR does have the ability to set a spirit cap, but don't let anyone tell you what that cap should be. In higher gear levels the crit will really return some mana for you but isn't designed to ever making you mana neutral unless all you cast is healing wave. Your spirit cap is where you feel comfortable. A general rule of thumb is if you are ending fights with >50% mana them you can lower your spirit level. You have the legendary gem also which helps a lot.

So I'll see more on the logs, but I have a few more questions so we can help more:

What is your healing comp like? What class/spec are your co healers?
Are there certain fights you are struggling on?
What level do you want to raid at ideally? Normals? Heroic?
Are you always a 25 man healer?

You are off to a great start and I too am jealous of your transmog. Ill update this post with more info tonight.

Edited by CptDan
  • Like 2

Part two: I probably should eat the other post but couldn't figure out how to break it up.

1) gear - this will get better in time. Once you choose how you like to stat, it will improve greatly. Try to get your two piece tier 16 as the absorb really adds up if you keep ES on the tank.

2) stats - by having the LMG you can afford to drop some spirit, but do so gradually so you adjust to the lower spirit and then when it feels like you are ooming too soon, go back up a bit. Learn to recall totems, and game procs on the meta. Use mana tide early and often, as mentioned previously drop it when the other healers are reaching ~80% mana and then in cooldown following.

3) glyphs - try to focus the glyphs and talents on the encounter you are on. This especially helps in heroics. Read the icy vens guide on resto talents and glyphs as it is fairly exhaustive and then the encounter sticky in this forum for per boss advice.

4) spell choice - work on keeping the tidal waves buff up closer to 100% this will help a lot especially where your haste is a bit low. Consider glyphing and keeping riptide up on tanks and a few high damage taken targets and always cast chain heal on a RT target. Your HST should be doing more in 25 man. Make sure you talent rushing streams unless a particular strat is warranted. And keep hr down as often as you can and cast unleash elements to buff it. You didn't use it all on your iron jugg kill. Let HR and HST keep heals going out and then focus where needed or on tanks.

5) cooldown and kit - make sure to use your cooldowns and coordinate with co healers on burst phases (pulse on iron jugg) don't waste them by not using them and don't burn mana needlessly by healing through a burst using expensive heals when a cd would suffice.

Work on a few things at a time and as your gear and comfort increase so will your HPS. Most of all learn from each raid and have fun with it. We are the best spec in the game IMO so enjoy it.

• Like 2

Firstly, those are first-rate replies from Spark and CptDan. Thanks guys! smile.png

So I wanted to touch on a couple of things, starting by putting my neck out a bit; for your gear level you are not doing badly. Don't get me wrong, you could do better, and we will help you do that.

Now, when it comes to regen it can be a difficult thing to judge. As the others have mentioned, you want to go for Crit-heavy builds so you can cut away a lot of Spirit - you should only really have enough Spirit to finish most encounters with 20% mana left. This is an important part of Healer play which is difficult to get your head around, but give it a try. You really have to live on the knife-edge between not enough mana and more mana than you need. Remember that this actually changes fight to fight, so you will have to set a Spirit level and give it a try - start around 13k and see whether you need more from there.

Secondly, I had a quick look at your logs, and noticed (looking in particular at Iron Juggernaut);

• You have barely any healing from Riptide! Not only is it very efficient but it can heal for a lot - look at your fellow Resto Shaman, where Riptide was one of his top healing done.
  • Your Chain Heal usage is massive. While that means you're putting through quite a lot (good), it does kind of indicate that you're spamming it - you don't want this. Pay some more attention to using Healing Rain well (e.g. make sure plenty of people are stood in it, and make sure to cast Unleash Elements before you place Healing Rain). Again, comparing your healing to your other RShaman, they were doing a lot more with Healing Rain and a lot less with Chain Heal.
  • I know I'm going on about  your fellow RSham, but one last point. You're actually keeping up with them reasonably for the whole fight except that they have these huge burst peaks! Go to the logs and Healing Done for Juggernaut; untick everyone except yourself and the other RSham. You see that they have these two huge healing spikes where they have popped their cooldowns - you didn't do this! Plan your cooldowns (HTT, Ascendance, Spirit Link, Ancestral Guidance/Elem Mastery if you take them) and then use them exactly as you planned to. Cooldowns are not panic buttons, they are tools; use them as such.

I think probably, paying attention to your cooldowns and also improving your coverage with Healing Rain, and your uptime with Healing Stream Totem, should bring you up to or above the level of your fellow RShaman.

Lastly, let me just repeat that I don't think you're doing badly at all.

Best of luck! smile.png

-------------------------------------- PS: -------------------------------------------

Also?  I am jealous of your Dark Shaman transmog.  That box eludes me still.

Totally this Q_Q

Thank you so much for such detailed answers

I didn't know about those mana tricks

I will look into it when I get home, I will do some reforge/regem changings

and see how I preform

That really helps :)

About the transmog set I didn't even know what it is

On the very first time that killed the korkon shamans I got it

And started to receive pms "how the hell did you get it?" :D

About the transmog set I didn't even know what it is

On the very first time that killed the korkon shamans I got it

And started to receive pms "how the hell did you get it?" biggrin.png

Oh no, you did not go there... Now that is just an insult! lol... Actually, we had a Rsham in one of my raid teams get it his first kill also, then proceed to DE it as he saw no point to having it!  WTF...  I have my CM set, which is cool, but really want the dark shaman one too.  I like the head peice on it much better then CM, on my panada it ,makes her look like she has some horrid hair nappiness going on.  To comment on your actual post though, after you make the changes, post up logs and let us know how it went and how the new build feels.  There is always room to offer more advice for tweaking based on the performance after gear changes. 

We were short one week on heals so we brought in one of the main raider's alts and she got the set her first kill as well. I was so jealous. I don't get into transmog that much (as evidenced by my current gear) but that set looks pretty cool. I'm not sure what the drop chance is on it, but I want it. :)