FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Mike Morhaime on How Accessibility Hurt the WoW Social Experience and More

4Pq7kvL.jpg

In an interview with Venture Beat during the Games Beat 2020 summit today, former Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime talked about WoW's appeal, audience and how it changed over time. One of the main things he discussed was how the rise in accessibility of the game reduced the social aspects of it, and player engagement over the long run.

I would also observe that as World of Warcraft evolved over the years, it actually kind of became less social because in an effort to achieve more accessibility, we kind of removed some of the reasons why you needed to play with the same group of people over and over. I think it takes away some of the reasons for some people of why they play, and why they might want to continue playing.
- Mike Morhaime

They start talking about the subject at the 13:20 mark in the video below, and it well worth a listen, as Morhaime goes through the topic from the beginnings of WoW to modern traditional MMOs and the problems with them.

Source.

Uncommon Patron

I agree with this in part. It's not just because of LFR though. There are many other features that were added, that while they improved quality of life in the game, also contributed to the need to interact less. The group finder tool is one of those. While LFR isn't meant for the hardcore raider, there are many people who consider themselves as such (they aren't) and make it awful for those who do go into LFR.

Then we have the people, who like me, used to raid and while I don't want to get into the hardcore raiding scene, LFR is a nightmare because no one attempts to do mechanics. If you try to explain how to win the fight to anyone, members of the group will often belittle or act as if you're putting them out.

There was a time when people used to be very helpful. That's not the case so much anymore. When I run into people in a dungeon, I always say hello, no matter what. How many times have you run in a group and no one says 2 words to each other? If I run across people in the open world, I'll wave and give them a buff. These common decencies, which is commonly practiced, would make the game much more enjoyable and social.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, clover said:

If I run across people in the open world, I'll wave and give them a buff.

I was sad a couple (or more?) expansions ago when they took away the spells that let you buff other players outside your group. I got into the first guild I joined, many years ago, because I buffed (Blessing of Kings, iirc) a passerby while I was running around Darkshore. She stopped to thank me and we got to chatting, which led to an invite to her guild.

Game design that fosters player interaction is quality of life improvements.

• Like 3

It's really tough though - because while things like the dungeon finder almost immediately cut out a big social aspect of the game, they also immediately cut out things like me spending 2 hours of game time every day riding in circles around Dalaran spamming General and LFG with "LF1M Daily Heroic, need TANK then gtg!".  Then you'd finally get a tank and the Priest, who is one of only two at the summoning stone because the Rogue is in Darkshore for some godforsaken reason, would have gone AFK in the meantime and while I would be desperately trying to get there to click on the portal, the Tank would be like "Sorry, Guild needs me :(" and leave the group just after I'd turned down another tank.  So now I'd be stuck on a flight path all the way to the dungeon before I could hearth back and start spamming again. 

People often look back and focus on the good aspects of what we lost - but the things that Dungeon Finder and Cross-Realm grouping were designed to solve also REALLY sucked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Literaltruth said:

It's really tough though - because while things like the dungeon finder almost immediately cut out a big social aspect of the game, they also immediately cut out things like me spending 2 hours of game time every day riding in circles around Dalaran spamming General and LFG with "LF1M Daily Heroic, need TANK then gtg!".  (...)

Impatient people existed back then too, they only had to spend more time spamming LFG chat, like everyone else. But once they've got in, there was still that "GO GO" (maybe not as often though) mentality, and people still insulted others if they were new/learning. Online aspect used to be rather unique to MMO, like saving player progression, but once other multiplayer games started offering similar things (without drawbacks of an MMO, like having to organize your own groups and guilds) these LFR and crossrealm were necessary, as keeping old "social interactions" was impossible with several servers being kinda empty already. Raiding in Cata in it's original form was dying, I could see that as back then I've played on a dying server, where there was no one to recruit, barely anyone to group up, it felt like single player already.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

cant really go back to the way to the way it was cuz any grp finder chat ( trade lfg) is nothing but ppl selling runs wish they make that against tos then these ppl would have to go back to making gold the way the rest of us do and chat would be much cleaner

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, elmurufdd said:

cant really go back to the way to the way it was cuz any grp finder chat ( trade lfg) is nothing but ppl selling runs wish they make that against tos then these ppl would have to go back to making gold the way the rest of us do and chat would be much cleaner

Also - not everyone is a gold farmer. I've played for 15 years and I'm an altaholic. They cost a fortune and I've missed out on a few of the "curve" mounts because I don't have 70,000 - 100,000 to waste on 1 mount. I miss the old days when it was for fun and not profit. Sorta like the real world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildwitch said:

Also - not everyone is a gold farmer. I've played for 15 years and I'm an altaholic. They cost a fortune and I've missed out on a few of the "curve" mounts because I don't have 70,000 - 100,000 to waste on 1 mount. I miss the old days when it was for fun and not profit. Sorta like the real world.

You don't necessarily have to dump gold to buy runs or AOTC achievements....Even if you are not part of a Guild and still manage to PUG yourself via runs those achievements are still obtainable.  People that buy runs for either loot or achievements usually just want to bypass the hassle and bs of failed attempts on certain aspects of content.  This is technically not a 'new' trend where this type of behavior is found in other mmo's like Aion, Tera, FFXIV, GW2, SWOTR, and etc and is considered part of the norm.

5 hours ago, clover said:

I agree with this in part. It's not just because of LFR though. There are many other features that were added, that while they improved quality of life in the game, also contributed to the need to interact less. The group finder tool is one of those. While LFR isn't meant for the hardcore raider, there are many people who consider themselves as such (they aren't) and make it awful for those who do go into LFR.

Then we have the people, who like me, used to raid and while I don't want to get into the hardcore raiding scene, LFR is a nightmare because no one attempts to do mechanics. If you try to explain how to win the fight to anyone, members of the group will often belittle or act as if you're putting them out.

There was a time when people used to be very helpful. That's not the case so much anymore. When I run into people in a dungeon, I always say hello, no matter what. How many times have you run in a group and no one says 2 words to each other? If I run across people in the open world, I'll wave and give them a buff. These common decencies, which is commonly practiced, would make the game much more enjoyable and social.

As far as social interactions goes you can't make players or force players to be sociable in any aspect of the game. Even if certain features were tweaked or removed you'll still have the same end result.  Throughout this expansion we have had several new members joined our Guild but yet still didn't want to be socially incline to participate in Guild activities or even speak in Discord.  They rather be reclusive and do what they desire while online.  We don't bash these individuals nor threaten to remove them from Guild we simply be patient and wait till they wish to step forward and be engaging on their own terms.  And half the time they do step forward and try to be a bit open with themselves among other members of the Guild.  Far as open world content goes or running content on a lesser difficulty I hardly ever stand around and participate in idle chit chat with War Mode activated when it comes to completing select daily features when I get home from work.  However I will do a friendly emote here and there towards other members of my faction before I move on or get called in to Tank a key for the Guild.

Well to pile on. I think it's also the cross realm thing that adds up to the concept of practically zero accountability for current behavior in matchmade groups. 

Welcome to island expedition where two man premade does not speak English, afks and votekicks you out if you don't go and solo it for them. Say hi to free deserter buff. 

Say hi to rdf where people behave as though they can't read either. One line mechanic insight from dungeon guide is try harding again preferably two people afk to lock out kick votes. 

Lfr is a mess but unless the boss is super specific it is fairly facerollable again one liners with simple instructions for your role seem overwhelming challenge too difficult to comprehend. It does grind my gears a bit where Mr dead 99% of the time then proceeds to titanforge a bis, why I can reroll all bosses and come up empty. But that's life. 

But those are extremes. Mostly there is just silence. I would just like to point out that this completely random shuffle placement does cator to toxic people who would soon be ousted when keeping up their behavior on one server. 

But on the other hand you don't have to wait queues... unless you do! Tick all three roles and wait up to an hour for normal dungeon. Cause everyone is out there doing dailies for better gear. Also notice your recommended server has little to no future and you can't do mythic raids with serious people cause it does not open cross realm. (which of course are associated with consistent group progression from normal to hc to mm so no one takes you for early hc either) 

Another 'benefit' post launch was that a zone with weekly boss was unplayable for the week due to lag which for instance prevented chi generation. 

Honestly I would not recommend retail right now even some private servers can boast better overall community because of the accountability.