FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Double Tank M+ Meta in Shadowlands Due to Tyrannical? Top MDI Team Talks Affixes, Tank DPS and More

Fqtzg8p.jpg

The reigning and two time MDI champions, Meeres, Naowh and Gingi, formerly Wunderbar/Method EU, now Echo,  have been poking around the Shadowlands beta Mythic+ content and have come upon a very specific strategy against some specific affixes, which might become the M+ meta if things stay as they are on the beta right now. The addition of a second tank was due to the difficulty of the Tyrannical affix (+ Grievous, but mostly the former, as it's problematic with other affixes as well), as the keys were really very problematic for even the best M+ players in the world. Tyrannical is really am issue as it stands on the beta right now, and the 2 tank solution isn't good for the game, according to them, but you should check out the video, as it's short and very informative.

Good lord.    Queue Blizzard seeing this and all the dps crying "WAaaahhhh, what's the point of being a dps?!"     It happened in BFA at the start when tanks "owned" at pvp and pre-raid dungeons, and got a massive nerf.

Then queue raids actually opening and the fact that the tanks don't scale as well and the dps get access to actual optimized weapons, stats and trinkets, and the nerf was wholly unnecessary.     But not retracted because Blizzard, and tanks have to suffer on world quests and other solo content for several tiers.

• Like 1

i kinda like this blizz could make a way so that the dungeon knows what how many roles of a kind are in at the beginning and scale the dungeon accordingly so you can experiment with difrent combos.

i know maybe its realy hard to designe but it could be fun bringing two tanks or even two heals to a dungeon this could encourage more people to play tank.

same goes for raids i personaly think it would be great if you could bring 3 or 4 tanks to a raid and the bosses scale accordingly i realy realy love my guild but i in bfa i began to love tanking but unfortunately two tanks is max for raiding 

Edited by N3ilo

48 minutes ago, N3ilo said:

i kinda like this blizz could make a way so that the dungeon knows what how many roles of a kind are in at the beginning and scale the dungeon accordingly so you can experiment with difrent combos.

i know maybe its realy hard to designe but it could be fun bringing two tanks or even two heals to a dungeon this could encourage more people to play tank.

same goes for raids i personaly think it would be great if you could bring 3 or 4 tanks to a raid and the bosses scale accordingly i realy realy love my guild but i in bfa i began to love tanking but unfortunately two tanks is max for raiding 

i share the desire for experiments but i dont think it would encourage more ppl to play or at least try tank
the tank problem will get even more severe

the right solution would be to make tank more fun to play and than mix up the setups or make it viable to mix up the teams
otherwise i think it would end up in a mess sadly

• Like 1

Blizzard has a history of intentionally seeing what is 'too much' on the PTR/Beta and working backwards from that, and then minor additional tweaks if need be once its live.

Using a non-standard comp that removes a DPS and calling it the new meta before the game is live is a views grab.

This video is aimed more towards removing tyrannical and not making a new meta most yanks love the challenge of pulling big and trying to survive stuff that would kill most tanks and with this meta it takes the skill out of tanking but this could be really effective towards getting rid of the worst affix in WoW history plus 21 in mechagon turns machinist garden fight into a giant lumber mill on crack

1 hour ago, STINKFIST87 said:

This video is aimed more towards removing tyrannical and not making a new meta most yanks love the challenge of pulling big and trying to survive stuff that would kill most tanks and with this meta it takes the skill out of tanking but this could be really effective towards getting rid of the worst affix in WoW history plus 21 in mechagon turns machinist garden fight into a giant lumber mill on crack

As a main tank I agree with your statement of pulling big, now I'll pull all mobs in this newly released raid tier because that healer called me a gnome. 
But really, tanking is easy, even easier than dpsing sometimes, and tyrannical is always a problem, because based on your class, or on your gear, there's no way you can simply survive some stuff, in some higer keys when the boss want to kill you, you die, period, or fights tend to take way too long that they become just a drag.
Dual tanking would be a nice thing, but that would need to be tuned in such way that would be needed two tanks, and not just a tank and a dps that can take two hits from this boss and survive during a taunt, which could be somewhat hard to do in normal dungeons, but yeah, tyrannical is not a fun affix.

To be honest i would really like it if this is a thing. My OT from raid and me anyway like it to play together and experimenting stuff like that can be fun.

12 hours ago, Migol said:

Good lord.    Queue Blizzard seeing this and all the dps crying "WAaaahhhh, what's the point of being a dps?!"     It happened in BFA at the start when tanks "owned" at pvp and pre-raid dungeons, and got a massive nerf.

Then queue raids actually opening and the fact that the tanks don't scale as well and the dps get access to actual optimized weapons, stats and trinkets, and the nerf was wholly unnecessary.     But not retracted because Blizzard, and tanks have to suffer on world quests and other solo content for several tiers.

Thats what your dps spec is for. Solo and world content ist not a valid argument.

1 minute ago, hirlix said:

Thats what your dps spec is for. Solo and world content ist not a valid argument.

Let me introduce you to Shadowlands, where offspec is pretty...not supported.

Also it's a fact that we work on our tank specs first, getting offspec weapons and other gear takes a while.  

10 hours ago, Nayrusa said:

i share the desire for experiments but i dont think it would encourage more ppl to play or at least try tank
the tank problem will get even more severe

the right solution would be to make tank more fun to play and than mix up the setups or make it viable to mix up the teams
otherwise i think it would end up in a mess sadly

The big issue never was and never will be that tanks dont deal enough dmg. Tanking just needs more knowledge of the dungeon/raid and you have a lot more opportunities to *filtered* up. A lot of people are therefore just too lazy to play tank or just want to top the dmg meter and they wouldnt top it as a tank even if tanks did deal some good dmg.

2 minutes ago, Migol said:

Let me introduce you to Shadowlands, where offspec is pretty...not supported.

Also it's a fact that we work on our tank specs first, getting offspec weapons and other gear takes a while.  

Solo content is usually so easy that you dont need optimized gear.

6 hours ago, Remi027 said:

As a main tank I agree with your statement of pulling big, now I'll pull all mobs in this newly released raid tier because that healer called me a gnome. 
But really, tanking is easy, even easier than dpsing sometimes, and tyrannical is always a problem, because based on your class, or on your gear, there's no way you can simply survive some stuff, in some higer keys when the boss want to kill you, you die, period, or fights tend to take way too long that they become just a drag.
Dual tanking would be a nice thing, but that would need to be tuned in such way that would be needed two tanks, and not just a tank and a dps that can take two hits from this boss and survive during a taunt, which could be somewhat hard to do in normal dungeons, but yeah, tyrannical is not a fun affix.

For sure tuning normal dungeon fights to be challenging for a dual tank comp and the standard comp but it would be awesome if they do something with that horrible unfun affix