FORUMS
positiv2

Windwalker Monk PvE

Guest Undark

"Section 10.1. Windwalker Monk War Mode Talents" makes mention of 10.1.1. General PvP Talents Gladiator's Medallion, Adaptation, and Relentless which are no longer available in Shadowlands

Guest Sùlong

In the best legendary tab in "Windwalker Monk Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.2" the link to "Monk Legendary Powers" redirects you to the Hunter Legandary Tab.

Guest gottsche

In part 3. you write one should choose the talent Ascension instead of Fist of the White Tiger, however in 5.1 Single Targetm Fist of the White Tiger is in rotation. Furthermore, also in 5.1 you have Whirling Dragon punch second in the rotation, this is not possible as Rising Sun Kick and Fist of Fury have to be on cooldown. So it should be moved to spot 4, after the previously mentioned abilities. This is the same in 5.2. Also, in 5.2 when you describe Mark of the Crane, you end it with ''up to 5'' when it goes up to 6.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, Guest Undark said:

"Section 10.1. Windwalker Monk War Mode Talents" makes mention of 10.1.1. General PvP Talents Gladiator's Medallion, Adaptation, and Relentless which are no longer available in Shadowlands

Removed that, thanks for catching it.

19 hours ago, Guest Sùlong said:

In the best legendary tab in "Windwalker Monk Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.2" the link to "Monk Legendary Powers" redirects you to the Hunter Legandary Tab.

Fixed.

13 hours ago, Guest gottsche said:

In part 3. you write one should choose the talent Ascension instead of Fist of the White Tiger, however in 5.1 Single Targetm Fist of the White Tiger is in rotation. Furthermore, also in 5.1 you have Whirling Dragon punch second in the rotation, this is not possible as Rising Sun Kick and Fist of Fury have to be on cooldown. So it should be moved to spot 4, after the previously mentioned abilities. This is the same in 5.2. Also, in 5.2 when you describe Mark of the Crane, you end it with ''up to 5'' when it goes up to 6.

I took out Fists of the White Tiger and changed the MotC number to 6.

As for the rotation, its a priority, so whether WDP is before or after RSK and FoF is functionally meaningless. I defaulted to put it above them to emphasize the importance of making sure FoF and RSK are used so you can use WDP.

Guest Fatal Touch

So, I’ve been experimenting with using jade ignition/ chi burst  and generally does the same amount of overall damage as fatal touch. Wouldn’t reducing fatal touch cool down from 3 to 1 min be far superior in dmg? Therefore, the fatal touch legendary would be better.

On 12/5/2020 at 4:47 AM, Guest no Cloak said:

The best Gear got no cloak.

Fixed this, thank you.

17 hours ago, Guest Fatal Touch said:

So, I’ve been experimenting with using jade ignition/ chi burst  and generally does the same amount of overall damage as fatal touch. Wouldn’t reducing fatal touch cool down from 3 to 1 min be far superior in dmg? Therefore, the fatal touch legendary would be better.

If you're getting the same amount of damage from Jade Ignition as you would from Fatal Touch then you're not doing something right. In most raid fights you'll only get one use of Touch of Death, so decreasing the cooldown is completely irrelevant. In Mythic+ or boss fights with more than one target where you can get more use out of Touch of Death, Jade Ignition will be the best legendary because of all the AOE damage it does. The only place where Fatal Touch has a chance against Jade Ignition would be a situation where you're fighting one target at a time, but they're small targets so you can Touch of Death them frequently, which really only happens when questing if you're going slowly.

Guest Azato

In torghast for windwalker monk it says that 'Corrosive Dosage' is a bad power, but that is not true. it is probably the only S+ tier power. Stack at least 2 and you can just spamheal yourself and watch everyone die around you. It is boring but super OP.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, Guest Azato said:

In torghast for windwalker monk it says that 'Corrosive Dosage' is a bad power, but that is not true. it is probably the only S+ tier power. Stack at least 2 and you can just spamheal yourself and watch everyone die around you. It is boring but super OP.

Yeah, the list was made before that came out as being so incredibly strong. I updated that on the list.

Guest Touch of Death

The guide still has a few mentions about the old ToD interactions which make no sense anymore and/or should get rewritten:

Section 5.4.1 Storm, Earth, and Fire

"During Storm, Earth, and Fire Icon Storm, Earth, and Fire, specific spells which are not replicated by your clones will get 200% benefit from the Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death 10% damage amplification. Because of this, you will gain 20% instead of 10% of Touch of Karma Icon Touch of Karma damage on your Touch of Death.

6. Opening Sequence for Windwalker Monk
" In particular, it is a prime opportunity to make the most out of Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death "

3.1 Windwalker Monk Utility

• Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death is not at its best in a dungeon, as the greater your number of targets, the smaller the damage increase you get from it. This will allow Windwalker Monks to have it up when most needed, to burst down specific targets or during single target encounters. Do not be afraid to fire it on non boss enemies.

I also noticed a that there is still a mention for the Azerite Essence: Conflict and Strife in

3. Windwalker Monk Mythic+ Rotation

"Use  Expel Harm, if you have  Conflict and Strife and will not cap Chi."

There are grammatical errors: 

Section: Spell summary

Cooldowns for Windwalker Monks

Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death has a 3-minute cooldown, usable only when the target has less health than you, when it will kill the target instantly, OR used when a "harder" target such as a raid boss has less than 15% health, when it will deal 35% of your health to that target. "

"when" should be "then" in both cases, as it doesn't make sense,  also " as damage " should be added in the later part, after "your health".

These are just a few things I found, while swooping across the guide to understand Windwalker Monk better. The guide is great, don't get me wrong there and it helped me quite a lot! Thank you for that one. If I typed something, which didn't make or if i missunderstood something, then please comment.

13 hours ago, Guest Touch of Death said:

The guide still has a few mentions about the old ToD interactions which make no sense anymore and/or should get rewritten:

Section 5.4.1 Storm, Earth, and Fire

"During Storm, Earth, and Fire Icon Storm, Earth, and Fire, specific spells which are not replicated by your clones will get 200% benefit from the Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death 10% damage amplification. Because of this, you will gain 20% instead of 10% of Touch of Karma Icon Touch of Karma damage on your Touch of Death.

6. Opening Sequence for Windwalker Monk
" In particular, it is a prime opportunity to make the most out of Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death "

3.1 Windwalker Monk Utility

• Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death is not at its best in a dungeon, as the greater your number of targets, the smaller the damage increase you get from it. This will allow Windwalker Monks to have it up when most needed, to burst down specific targets or during single target encounters. Do not be afraid to fire it on non boss enemies.

I also noticed a that there is still a mention for the Azerite Essence: Conflict and Strife in

3. Windwalker Monk Mythic+ Rotation

"Use  Expel Harm, if you have  Conflict and Strife and will not cap Chi."

There are grammatical errors: 

Section: Spell summary

Cooldowns for Windwalker Monks

Touch of Death Icon Touch of Death has a 3-minute cooldown, usable only when the target has less health than you, when it will kill the target instantly, OR used when a "harder" target such as a raid boss has less than 15% health, when it will deal 35% of your health to that target. "

"when" should be "then" in both cases, as it doesn't make sense,  also " as damage " should be added in the later part, after "your health".

These are just a few things I found, while swooping across the guide to understand Windwalker Monk better. The guide is great, don't get me wrong there and it helped me quite a lot! Thank you for that one. If I typed something, which didn't make or if i missunderstood something, then please comment.

Thanks for catching those, got them all updated.

Guest Last Emperor

Just wondering what the best single target leggy is now since in-game it says 50% stacking up to 20 times for jade lightning not 100% like the guide says.

Guest Last Emperor
14 hours ago, Guest Last Emperor said:

Just wondering what the best single target leggy is now since in-game it says 50% stacking up to 20 times for jade lightning not 100% like the guide says.

Just realized that the 50% is just in pvp. But still, even at 100% I have a hard time believing this would outperform the haste leggy or jade ignition even for single target. 2000% of 358 channeled over 4 seconds is still only somewhere between 6.5k-7k. Also assuming you save the channel for instances where you need to move out of melee range because of raid mechanics there's still the amount of rotation disruption time standing and channeling a spell would cause as oppose to having 33% haste or using Spinning crane with full stacks in melee. Idk maybe i'm missing something.

Guest Jünhéng

Just to clarify, in Soulbinds and Conduits 5.1 Night Fae Soulbinds, you mention that a ww monk aiming for an overall build (m+ and raid alike) should go for Xuen's BondXuen's Bond and Inner FuryInner Fury  as the 2 potency slots, but I noticed that the tooltip still refers to the pre-nerf version of IF (4% base increase instead of 20%). I imagine that might make a change in the preferred path... is it best to take XB and aim for Niya's Tools: BurrsNiya's Tools: Burrs  instead, or just replace IF with, say Calculated StrikesCalculated Strikes ? Or Coordinated OffensiveCoordinated Offensive ?

Guest John Doe

It would be really helpful if it were actually stated somewhere on the Best Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits page, oh idk, maybe the Covenant abilities for each Covenant?? Literally the only Covenant ability listed on the page is the Venthyr ability and it's only mentioned because it was nerfed from Beta.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, Guest Last Emperor said:

Just realized that the 50% is just in pvp. But still, even at 100% I have a hard time believing this would outperform the haste leggy or jade ignition even for single target. 2000% of 358 channeled over 4 seconds is still only somewhere between 6.5k-7k. Also assuming you save the channel for instances where you need to move out of melee range because of raid mechanics there's still the amount of rotation disruption time standing and channeling a spell would cause as oppose to having 33% haste or using Spinning crane with full stacks in melee. Idk maybe i'm missing something.

Thats why Invoker's Delight is the top recommendation for all content.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:24 PM, Guest Jünhéng said:

Just to clarify, in Soulbinds and Conduits 5.1 Night Fae Soulbinds, you mention that a ww monk aiming for an overall build (m+ and raid alike) should go for Xuen's BondXuen's Bond and Inner FuryInner Fury  as the 2 potency slots, but I noticed that the tooltip still refers to the pre-nerf version of IF (4% base increase instead of 20%). I imagine that might make a change in the preferred path... is it best to take XB and aim for Niya's Tools: BurrsNiya's Tools: Burrs  instead, or just replace IF with, say Calculated StrikesCalculated Strikes ? Or Coordinated OffensiveCoordinated Offensive ?

The strength of Niya's Tools: Burrs compared to another potency conduit is difficult to predict for everyone since it will matter what item level their potency conduits are when they get access to the last row of Niya's tree. Based on the current numbers, Niya's Tools: Burrs trumps another potency conduit.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:20 AM, Guest John Doe said:

It would be really helpful if it were actually stated somewhere on the Best Covenants, Soulbinds, and Conduits page, oh idk, maybe the Covenant abilities for each Covenant?? Literally the only Covenant ability listed on the page is the Venthyr ability and it's only mentioned because it was nerfed from Beta.

Thats true. I added them.

Guest Jünhéng
On 1/19/2021 at 1:04 AM, Babylonius said:

The strength of Niya's Tools: Burrs compared to another potency conduit is difficult to predict for everyone since it will matter what item level their potency conduits are when they get access to the last row of Niya's tree. Based on the current numbers, Niya's Tools: Burrs trumps another potency conduit.

Ah I see... so then is it just really a matter of aoe vs single-target, and Xuen's BondXuen's Bond gets forgotten, or...? By tooltip alone, XB seems like it should synergize really well with Invoker's DelightInvoker's Delight, but my sims all say to go for Coordinated Offensive for single anyway

Concerning the Best in Slot section: The extra Dot of Poxstorm, Longsword of Pestilence semms to be buggy. In my tooltip (197 ilevel) it says it does 255 nature damage, but measuring it in Skada it's actually ony 3 nature damage! The tooltipp provided by Skada says so, too, and the percentage of contributed damage is only 0.1%.

I submitted a ticket about that. Somebody also reported it on the Blizzard forums: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/poxstorm-weapon/787541

Maybe those of you who also use Poxstorm could check you dps meter if you actually get the amount of dot damage your tooltip says. I assume, me and the poster are not the only ones. If it's a common problem it needs to be sorted out, until then, Poxstorm is probably not BIS...

btw and above all: Thanks for the GREAT guide!!

Edited by chameleon2000

On 1/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Guest Jünhéng said:

Ah I see... so then is it just really a matter of aoe vs single-target, and Xuen's BondXuen's Bond gets forgotten, or...? By tooltip alone, XB seems like it should synergize really well with Invoker's DelightInvoker's Delight, but my sims all say to go for Coordinated Offensive for single anyway

Xuen's Bond synergizes well with Invokers, but it works against the Kyrian buff since it doesn't have its cooldown reduced similarly, so they become desynced.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, Frost96 said:

Was just wondering if any of the raid gear is better than the BiS section? There's only a BiS from dungeons there, is the raid gear not better?

I just forgot to add it, it should be there the next time the page is updated.

• Like 1

Guest Propapanda

Not sure if that was pointed out but there is a very interesting Thorgast Power Combo that is relatively easy to be put together and can be very strong so maybe you should include it in the guide. If you collect 5 "36 Pressure Point Technique" Powers (Common so rather easy, I once got 5 of them without even going for that build) the "Touch of Death" becomes instant enabling you to one hit kill almost every trashmob. In combination with the "Death Touched Brew" that raises your max health from "Fortifying Brew" by 5% per ToD kill you can easily raise your max health by 500% or more via Fortifying Brew. If you have approximately 30k Life that raises your Health to 150k which means that while using Fortifying Brew you can instantly kill every elite enemy and after a brief fight even the Endboss.

Guest Mixepyck

For Twisting Corridors, 36 Pressure Point Technique until Touch of Death is instant. Deathtouched Brew as early as possible so it stacks to 100 for 500% health. The idea is you use Fortifying Brew to increase your health so that you can use instant Touch of Death on elites with high health. My last run with Fortifying Brew, my health shot up to 996k so I only had to get the final boss to half health and then Touch of Death to kill quickly. Secret Spices  and  Obleron Endurance or anything that increases max health helps to allow you to trigger the Touch of Death ability more quickly. My two cents.