FORUMS
Damien

Feral Druid Leveling

This thread is for comments about our Feral Druid leveling guide for TBC Classic.

Guest Draxxix

This is probably a stupid question, but I’m curious. 
At level 36 it’s recommended to open with stealth —-> pounce —-> shred as many times as you can. 
So why isn’t the reduced energy cost talent taken for shred? 

ive also read in other sites it’s a waste to stealth and it’s recommended to just run up, FF, shred, then finish with bite. In that case would taking the talent that increases bites damage output be good, then respect into a more heavy bleed style when you get mangle? 

sorry if these are dumb  

Guest Draxxix
On 9/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Guest Draxxix said:

This is probably a stupid question, but I’m curious. 
At level 36 it’s recommended to open with stealth —-> pounce —-> shred as many times as you can. 
So why isn’t the reduced energy cost talent taken for shred? 

ive also read in other sites it’s a waste to stealth and it’s recommended to just run up, FF, shred, then finish with bite. In that case would taking the talent that increases bites damage output be good, then respect into a more heavy bleed style when you get mangle? 

sorry if these are dumb  

In my second question I meant “claw” not “shred” 

No worries, the explanation is simple: shred does a lot more damage than claw but, unfortunately, requires you to be behind your target to use, which is only possible for the short duration of pounce or in dungeons. Thus: 

read in other sites it’s a waste to stealth and it’s recommended to just run up, FF, shred, then finish with bite 

...is actually impossible because the mob will turn to you instantly once you are in aggro range if you are not stealthed.

You can run to the mob and just FF, claw and bite until it is dead, and that that approach can be simpler / faster since you don't waste any time moving around in stealth, but you will also take more damage, so if you go that route make sure to have extra water / food to recover when needed.

Whether you take the energy talent or not, you will still only be able to shred once or twice at best before pounce wears off and the mob turns to you, and the rest of the damage has to be done with claw, rip and ferocious bite.

Later on, mangle is way more powerful than claw and comparable to shred so you no longer need to shred at all and can just mangle from start to finish, making your rotation simpler, and by then taking the reduced energy talent for shred is a complete waste.

TL:DR shred >>> claw but requires you to be behind your target which is only possible with stealth and pounce. Once you get mangle both shred and claw become pointless outside of dungeons. Feral Druid is one of the best leveling classes so you can really ignore all min-maxing and just run at mobs and spam claw until they die and still do fine, but since this is a guide I wanted to put a little bit more thought into minimizing your damage intake while leveling, have fun! 🙂

Guest Draxxix

Ya I meant claw not shred, I know you can’t walk up n shred em while solo. 

fair enough  though, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond in such detail! 
I can’t wait to get mangle, it’s such a game changer. 

5 hours ago, Guest Draxxix said:

Ya I meant claw not shred, I know you can’t walk up n shred em while solo. 

fair enough  though, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond in such detail! 
I can’t wait to get mangle, it’s such a game changer. 

Indeed, it will feel amazing, best of luck and have fun! 🙂