FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
miyari

Disciple of Magic Attributes

This thread is for feedback on our guide to the attributes that are important to the Disciple of Magic jobs in Final Fantasy XIV.

• Chain Stratagem, applied by Scholars to everybody nearby at time of cast, increases critical hit rate by 10%.

Chain Stratagem is not a Buff applied around you, it's a debuff applied on the target.

Source

On 11/11/2021 at 12:17 AM, Yoshitsune said:

Chain Stratagem is not a Buff applied around you, it's a debuff applied on the target.

Source

This will be fixed shortly once deployed, my apologies - we missed updating it after updating it in the DoW page!

• Like 1

Guest Jinxy

Forgive the necro post, but can we really call chain stratagem a debuff? 

I agree that it shares a characteristic with other debuffs (I.e. it is applied to an enemy target). However, is this the characteristic that actually defines debuffs? I would argue that it is not. A debuff is defined as an effect that acts as a detriment to an enemies stats and/or abilities. 

Chain stratagem increases the rate of critical hits taken by a target. It is a buff to anyone who attacks the target because it affects their damage output. 

think of it like this… if you apply chain stratagem to an enemy, and no one attacks the enemy, then chain stratagem would not be detrimental to that enemy in any way. The enemies stats are untouched. The enemies abilities are untouched. Chain stratagem does not have an effect on the enemy. It only has an effect on those that attack the targeted enemy. 

On 1/16/2024 at 4:33 PM, Guest Jinxy said:

Forgive the necro post, but can we really call chain stratagem a debuff? 

I agree that it shares a characteristic with other debuffs (I.e. it is applied to an enemy target). However, is this the characteristic that actually defines debuffs? I would argue that it is not. A debuff is defined as an effect that acts as a detriment to an enemies stats and/or abilities. 

Chain stratagem increases the rate of critical hits taken by a target. It is a buff to anyone who attacks the target because it affects their damage output. 

think of it like this… if you apply chain stratagem to an enemy, and no one attacks the enemy, then chain stratagem would not be detrimental to that enemy in any way. The enemies stats are untouched. The enemies abilities are untouched. Chain stratagem does not have an effect on the enemy. It only has an effect on those that attack the targeted enemy. 

I understand the argument. However just due to the nature of how its applied, its easily understood what a debuff is when compared to how most otherl raid buff works. The same could be said about Mug or Trick Attack. They're target-applied buffs rather than AoE buffs. 

Edit: No idea where the confusion was back in 2021, it isn't like Chain was a new skill or something lol