Damien

Hearthstone Warlock Spells and Minions

8 posts in this topic

I think the page on Void Terror ought to at least mention synergy with deathrattles. Void Terror is great with Nerubian Egg, and it's still less risky on other deathrattle minions than it would be on vanilla ones, since you gain the deathrattle benefits.

I just met a deck with Dreadsteed combined with Baron Rivendale. Let's just say I didn't stand a chance anymore. Especially when he combined 5 dread steeds with Knife Juggler after killing his own Baron...

I just met a deck with Dreadsteed combined with Baron Rivendale. Let's just say I didn't stand a chance anymore. Especially when he combined 5 dread steeds with Knife Juggler after killing his own Baron...

Decks centered around Dreadsteed get countered very easily: silence. If your dreadsteed gets silenced, you spent 4 mana for a 1/1 and your opponent gains tempo and you lose. Almost every combo based works only if you draw the needed cards and this is no different (but of course, you have an advantage of having Warlock's hero power).

I'm using a dreadsteed deck at the moment and it is a fun one to play. To counter silence you either wait until you have the baron or kelv'zard and get the combo quickly, or keep one copy of dreadsteed in your hand as insurance, or throw out minions that like to be silenced such as the egg and belcher. Not a 100% win deck by any means, but there is nothing like having 5 buffed 3/3 immortal minions wrecking the opponent every turn. Even if M'ganis isn't around they are really good at clearing the board.

More of a fun deck than a serious laddering one.

In Curse of Rafaam's Constructed section:

" it can make your opponent choose between taking damage or spending Mana to remove your minions when they may want to do both. "
My understanding of this card is that you either take the damage(spending mana on controlling the board or keeping tempo) or you spend mana getting rid of the curse. Also I'm fairly certain the opponent wouldn't want to take damage.

Also, in the Arena section of Sacrificial Pact, Reliquary Seeker, Curse of Rafaam, Sense Demons, Succubus, Void Crusher and Anima Golem, you might wanna take into account that they aren't available to be drafted.

2 hours ago, EDL666 said:

My understanding of this card is that you either take the damage(spending mana on controlling the board or keeping tempo) or you spend mana getting rid of the curse. Also I'm fairly certain the opponent wouldn't want to take damage.

That is actually correct. The opponent has to choose whether to take damage and spend mana on different, possibly more important stuff, or to get rid of damage and be limited. 
Now, a new players will almost always play the curse to stop taking damage, but that is rarely the correct approach. One has to assess the possible tempo gain (especially in early game) and the possible dangers of taking 2 extra damage. Let me give you a few examples:
Ex1: It's turn 2. Your opponent played Curse of Rafaam without playing anything on turn 1. You have two options: play the curse and avoid taking two damage, or play a 2-drop and punish your opponent for not playing a minion. The first minion gives you a platform to build on in early midgame and allows you to win game because of this. This is the primary reason nobody plays Curse of Rafaam.
Ex2: It's turn 5 and you are playing control warrior. The opponent managed to build a big board while you have not (which is quite common when playing control warrior) and plays Curse of Rafaam. Your hand only offers you two options: play Cursed! and armor up, or play Brawl. Now, since your opponent has a big board, you should rather play Brawl as it will prevent you from taking more damaged than playing Cursed! would. You will be able to regain the health by simply using your hero power once at any point in the game.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead