Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windwalker analysis

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying to analyze one of my raiders and sadly I know next to nothing about monks other than what the basic guides say her on Icy veins, askmrrobot, and noxxic.  I need some help figuring out how I can help this player improve.  Ill link the armory and the logs from our last two runs.

Log one from 8/2

Log two from 8/3

Apologies, I don't have a whole lot of time to make this post, but I'm going to try to mention what I can.  I'm going to use the approach of teaching you what to look for, so that you can audit them or other WWs on a regular basis,.

They're having issues managing their Chi Brew, and that's probably the largest contributor to DPS that you can look at.  So how it works is this:

It's a spell that gives you 2 Chi and 5 Tigereye Brew.  It has two charges, and each charge has a 45 second recharge rate.  Only one can recharge at a time, so if you use both charges, it takes 45 seconds from the first ones use to gain one charge back, then 45 seconds from when that one was ready to recharge the second one.

Tigereye Brew is a resource they gain through normal gameplay, with a max of 20.  Up to 10 can be spent at a time, for a 6% per stack boost, and it's recommended to most often use it at only 10 stacks (unless you're coming to the end of the fight)

The best use of Chi Brew is during the opener, when you have lust/trinkets, using both stacks of Chi Brew, and immediately rolling Tigerseye Brew's damage buff (since you just gained 10 Tigereye Brew, you can spend all 10 immediately for a 60% gain).

After that, you need to be sure to keep at least one of the two charges of Chi Brew on cooldown, or else it's just a waste.  It's usually best to just keep both charges rolling, but you can save it for a moment when you're low energy and spending the chi on a another attack, instead of having to wait for energy to Jab again to spend it.

Better Chi Brew usage alone should bring their DPS contribution up significantly, but other things to look out for are:

Energy capping outside of Energizing Brew.

Chi capping.  You can hover over the plateaus to see attacks that generated Chi that was wasted.

Energizing Brew usage.  (Shouldn't be exactly on cooldown, but should be used pretty consistently close to it's cooldown, say within 20 seconds)

Rising Sun Kick use vs cooldown.  (Fight duration in seconds / 8 = number of optimal uses.  For example, Sha of Pride was 4:14, or 254 seconds long.  They should've cast ~31, and it should've been a much higher damage contributor.)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

I also made a WeakAura to track Chi Brew's cooldowns:

As well, while they're gear is good now, they should be aiming for 2 1H weapons with a similar ilvl, and after they swapped over to that, they'd have to be mindful of the Crit cap imposed on dual wielding.  (Which doesn't apply the same to 2hers; their crit cap is much much higher.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Calcifer
      So I recently picked up a fire mage for the first time ever, I've been playing wow on and off for around 7 years but never picked up a mage till now.
      Anyway, I have been wondering of my rotation outside of Combustion? I have read the guide supplied here and tried to follow it as best as I can, the main scenario I have is.
      Whenever I am casting fireballs I wait till I have a heating up proc, as I've precasted my next fireball I get heating up, halfway through the fireball cast, I cast the fireblast converting my heating up to a hot streak. I then end the fireball cast with an instant pyroblast. Sometimes this results in another hot streak due to both critting, sometimes its a heating up proc and sometimes neither crit and I'm left starting over. I then usually tend to find myself running out of fireblasts fairly quickly and having to cast fireballs until they return off cooldown.
      I always cast a fireball before I cast my instant pyroblast to try pyroblast fish but this doesnt always result in a crit.
      I was wondering by casting the fireblast mid channel of my fireball then finishing my fireball cast with an instant pyroblast is this the most efficent way to be using my spells?
      I've tried a few other ways of casting such as casting fireball under a heating up then fireblast during the channel, then cast another fireball and end with an instant pyroblast to smooth out my rotation but im not sure which one is the better method or they are both wrong?
      I am 838 ilvl and can hold around 140-160k dps on bosses after my initial burst, my weapon is only 814 ilvl as im not finished my order hall and i have 42% crit. My stats arnt great but I was wondering is my weapon holding me back hugely and once I upgrade it will all my problems be solved?
      Sorry for essay, but I wanted to be clear on my question and get a clear response.
    • By Maraeil
      Hello there :)
      Currently I'm playing firemage with 59 % crit (with 300 bufffood). I'm raiding as well and we are 6/7 nhc (we're not going for progress ;)). Depending on the fights I'm able to maintain between 180k and 220k dps. But from everyone I'm just hearing that this dps is way too low and I have to change something. So this is why I'm asking you ;)
      I'm going to upload a dummy log, so you can see my complete rotation how I am going through it. This is the way I am doing it in raid as well, depending on mechanics and movement a bit different (maybe I can upload a Cenarius and Xavius Log tomorrow when were going to raid). So my question is: Is there a mistake in my rotation, am I doing it right? I know Im missing gems right now, but they are just way too expensive right now :)
      Armory Link:íría/advanced
      Dummy Log Link:
      I would really appreciate some help :) thanks in advance !
    • By Sibelius
      Concerning Fire Mage, after I burst and Fire Blast, Flame On, and Phoenix Flame's are on cooldown then what?
      Do I cast only Fireball until the 2 Fire Blast and Flame On are off cooldown? Do I cast Fireball until heating up and use the first Fire Blast off cooldown?
      I cannot seem to find a good rotation after my burst is finished...
    • By Corbuusier
      (aside from respeccing Arms. Fury4lyfe.)
      Hi all,
      I was a fairly hardcore raider back in BC and Wrath, and even wrote the fury guide way back when. I quit after Wrath and just rejoined recently for Legion, and feel a bit lost. I know Fury is in the gutter right now, but even so I feel like I'm missing something. I've been using the guide on the site here, as a baseline.
      Here's my log from last night's raid:
      And my character sheet:
      Bear in mind that my gear is entry level raiding, I am working on getting enchants and pots and all that. What I need help with is rotation, cooldown usage, etc. and anything I might have missed.
      Edit: I found a good parse to compare:,9&source=3,Aramîs&type=damage-done
      1. It helps to not die...2. he kept DPSing while soaking charges. 3. I realize I've probably been using BT whenever it's up, regardless of whether I'm already enraged or not.
    • By Flux
      Enjoying arcane alot right now. On the guide on the site (thumbs up for the fast update of the stat priority btw!) usage of Nether Tempest is not mentioned in the opening sequence or the burn phase. Do you apply NT in the burn phase so it can profit from Arcane Power and the Rune or before? According to my own testing, on single target, with 4 Stacks, NT does about the same damage as AB but only uses a GCD, so it should be worth using it with Rune/AP right? 
      btw: What about Mark of Aluneth? In the guide the opening sequence says you should apply it BEFORE Rune/AP, but i don't see the point here aswell, why not use it WITH Rune/AP?
      Maybe NT is worth bcs it can procc Arcane Missiles? The guide says that you can refresh it on 4- seconds left. Why not let it run out? Am I wrong when i say that only the inital cast can procc AM? In this case we should let it run out right?