Windwalker analysis

Sign in to follow this  

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying to analyze one of my raiders and sadly I know next to nothing about monks other than what the basic guides say her on Icy veins, askmrrobot, and noxxic.  I need some help figuring out how I can help this player improve.  Ill link the armory and the logs from our last two runs.

Log one from 8/2

Log two from 8/3

Apologies, I don't have a whole lot of time to make this post, but I'm going to try to mention what I can.  I'm going to use the approach of teaching you what to look for, so that you can audit them or other WWs on a regular basis,.

They're having issues managing their Chi Brew, and that's probably the largest contributor to DPS that you can look at.  So how it works is this:

It's a spell that gives you 2 Chi and 5 Tigereye Brew.  It has two charges, and each charge has a 45 second recharge rate.  Only one can recharge at a time, so if you use both charges, it takes 45 seconds from the first ones use to gain one charge back, then 45 seconds from when that one was ready to recharge the second one.

Tigereye Brew is a resource they gain through normal gameplay, with a max of 20.  Up to 10 can be spent at a time, for a 6% per stack boost, and it's recommended to most often use it at only 10 stacks (unless you're coming to the end of the fight)

The best use of Chi Brew is during the opener, when you have lust/trinkets, using both stacks of Chi Brew, and immediately rolling Tigerseye Brew's damage buff (since you just gained 10 Tigereye Brew, you can spend all 10 immediately for a 60% gain).

After that, you need to be sure to keep at least one of the two charges of Chi Brew on cooldown, or else it's just a waste.  It's usually best to just keep both charges rolling, but you can save it for a moment when you're low energy and spending the chi on a another attack, instead of having to wait for energy to Jab again to spend it.

Better Chi Brew usage alone should bring their DPS contribution up significantly, but other things to look out for are:

Energy capping outside of Energizing Brew.

Chi capping.  You can hover over the plateaus to see attacks that generated Chi that was wasted.

Energizing Brew usage.  (Shouldn't be exactly on cooldown, but should be used pretty consistently close to it's cooldown, say within 20 seconds)

Rising Sun Kick use vs cooldown.  (Fight duration in seconds / 8 = number of optimal uses.  For example, Sha of Pride was 4:14, or 254 seconds long.  They should've cast ~31, and it should've been a much higher damage contributor.)

If you have any other questions, let me know!

I also made a WeakAura to track Chi Brew's cooldowns:

As well, while they're gear is good now, they should be aiming for 2 1H weapons with a similar ilvl, and after they swapped over to that, they'd have to be mindful of the Crit cap imposed on dual wielding.  (Which doesn't apply the same to 2hers; their crit cap is much much higher.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this