FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mortex

Crit cap?

Basically I want to know if its worth going more mastery once you've hit the crit cap for white hits.

Buffed with raidbuffs etc I have almost 66% crit, but from what I read, crit cap with 1H is 57%, and Mr. Robot has adviced me to go more mastery lately, so I was wondering if its worth sacrificing some damage for mastery?

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Kitha/advanced

Source of crit cap: http://forums.askmrrobot.com/index.php?topic=7373.0

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1333070-Brewmaster-Crit-cap-of-white-swings

Mr. Robot link: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/emerald_dream/kitha

Yes, the crit cap is definitely true, as it's crit chance + 3% for Boss Level Crit Suppression - Dual Wield Miss - Dual Wield Glancing Blows.

You could alternatively swap to a HWF 2H, and stack crit up to ~79%!  But Crits defensive value (for Elusive Brew) drops off significantly by the time that you can always have 6 stacks in 6 seconds.

Now, Mastery is purely a defensive stat.  If you think that being more defensively minded would be a positive gain for your raid, I would definitely suggest you run with that.  It scales poorly, but it's your best defensive stat after reaching an Elusive Brew uptime cap or the Crit cap.

Have you considered adding a little haste ('round 3k) and changing Ascension for Chi Brew?  It's a significant gameplay change, but it definitely adds a powerful cooldown for extra Chi and Elusive stacks, and some more complex gameplay.

Have you considered adding a little haste ('round 3k) and changing Ascension for Chi Brew?  It's a significant gameplay change, but it definitely adds a powerful cooldown for extra Chi and Elusive stacks, and some more complex gameplay.

I have not tried that build yet, might be worth checkin out. I just notice some damage I'm not comfy with when we're progressing on Thok, was thinking mastery might be the way to go, thanks to the Thok amplifying trinket. I'm not familiar with the chi brew though, is that a regular talent choice for brewmaster nowdays?

I have not tried that build yet, might be worth checkin out. I just notice some damage I'm not comfy with when we're progressing on Thok, was thinking mastery might be the way to go, thanks to the Thok amplifying trinket. I'm not familiar with the chi brew though, is that a regular talent choice for brewmaster nowdays?

Yeah, it's a pretty common direction for high end Brewmasters, though only because Ascension's energy regen isn't needed, and the on demand 5 stack of Elusive is great for emergency situations or poor luck strings.  The difference comes in that Chi being available on demand, instead of increasing Energy regen, and chi gain potential that way.

Mastery is a great stat to go into if you're feeling a little punished, and if your progress has you taking a lot of damage, I'd definitely go into it.

Yeah, it's a pretty common direction for high end Brewmasters, though only because Ascension's energy regen isn't needed, and the on demand 5 stack of Elusive is great for emergency situations or poor luck strings.  The difference comes in that Chi being available on demand, instead of increasing Energy regen, and chi gain potential that way.

For Brewmasters its not.  You don't need the on demand chi and you're already swimming in elusive brew with high crit.  Ascension is better to allow for more energy do you can go for more crit for more brew / chi.

The on demand chi isnt necessary because you can save 3 chi all the time for guard / purifiying brew when ever you need it.  Chi Brew would only be used for emergency guards if you don't have the chi ready, which if you stay around 3-5 chi you should always have.

So what would you do then Krazyito? I'm way over the crit cap for 1H and I feel its a waste to dump more crit into it until I get my HWF 2H. Would you think mastery is worth dumping into in the meantime?

I'm not taking a lot of damage, but I wouldn't mind taking even less damage to smooth the encounters. I dont have troubles with managing my chi, so I doubt the chi brew is necessary, and since i have so much crit I generate a lot of stacks for elusive, and I rarely miss the buff, sometimes its capped at 15 before the one I have active even runs out, which again.

For Brewmasters its not.  You don't need the on demand chi and you're already swimming in elusive brew with high crit.  Ascension is better to allow for more energy do you can go for more crit for more brew / chi.

The on demand chi isnt necessary because you can save 3 chi all the time for guard / purifiying brew when ever you need it.  Chi Brew would only be used for emergency guards if you don't have the chi ready, which if you stay around 3-5 chi you should always have.

I disagree, because I think there's already too much Haste on gear, and there isn't much to do with your gear once you're at the Crit cap.  Remember that only autoattacks generate Brew, and faster energy regen does not influence that.

In a situation where you may be put into a tough place, or where extra Chi/Brew is never a bad thing (Phase transitions, to gain shuffle faster moving to adds, during bad Glance auto swings and a high damage period), I'd prefer Chi Brew, as long as my energy regen was high enough to offer sufficient Chi generation.

@Mortex

Any crit about the cap is wasted, so moving it to anything else is definitely advised.  It's just up to you where you move it to.  The best idea for more mitigation is Mastery.

I thought i might add my 2c in here.

You should go with whichever stat is going to benefit your raid the most after the crit cap.

If your raid needs more dps go for more crit. The more dps you do the more raid guards and the more self guards you will get from your 2 piece as well. An expel harm/chi wave crit with vengeance can save yours or another raid members life.

If you feel that your healers may need more help keeping you alive then the mastery will increase your effective health pool.

I find that ascension works best for me because it is % based so the more haste you have the bigger increase it gives. It then allows me to dump more of my stats into crit and still reach my "comfortable" level of haste.

Chi brew i believe can definitely work but it will make play more busy imo and use more gcd's to maintain/generate the chi.

Hope this helps you to formulate a direction for yourself in your raid team.

Happy killing

Brew