FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Elegua

Affliction PVP

First of all I'd like to say Icy Veins, several regular posters, and Zagam in particular have some outstanding advice and have helped me out a lot in fine-tuning my PVE skills.

I'm starting to finally get my feet wet in PVP and am having a hard time discovering what is going to work best.

Any PVP afflocks out there care to sound off on PVP tips? I'm wondering what rotations and macros work best for you.

Hi Elegua,

Glad to hear that we've been able to help you from a PvE perspective! While I am nowhere close to being as versed in PvP as I am in PvE, I have explored each spec in PvP and can tell you with a great deal of confidence that Affliction is pretty crappy at the moment.

Right now, Affliction's strength comes from channeling MG or DS with DoTs on a target. It's really hard to take down melee because as soon as they see your purpley beam of doom, aka Malefic Grasp, they charge/interrupt/stun and from there, it's hard to get any consistent damage. In arena, being focused will spell your doom. You can spread instant cast DoTs and use Fear to get Unstable Affliction up on all of your targets, but your DoTs don't hit for much until MG is applied. This may change in 5.1 when you can freely cast with no penalty except a minor speed reduction (30%), but as of now, Affliction is pretty tame compared to Destruction and Demonology.

If you insist on playing Affliction, what I've found works best is to abuse the crap out of your Teleport. Use it after a Warrior's charge, after a rogue Shadowsteps (if he's bad and didn't stun you), or my favorite...after a DK has gripped you. Use Fear to DoT up your target. Affliction has Nightmare built in meaning when they come out of a Fear effect, they will be running much slower back to you. Use Fel Flame to refresh UA rather than casting it again, and once you get some separation, then you can start using Malefic Grasp. In arena, you just want to put as much pressure on the healer as you can. You can do this by putting DoTs up on everyone. The healer, his teammates, pets, everything. DoT things like it's going out of fashion. Use your survival CDs when pressured such as Dark Regeneration with a glyphed Healthstone. Unending Resolve prevents interrupts and Silences.

...and soon, Patch 5.1 gives you 70% mobility with no casting penalty while using Kil'jaeden's Cunning. This is...incredible. They're also fixing that wonderful bug where you can't fear a Warrior who popped Recklessness off of you. Those damn Warriors will have their day...DAMN THEM!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GuyNoodle
      INTRODUCTION:
      Laid back bunch of people with a serious ambition to get stuff done without the bad kind of drama. Making sure that with a strong leadership: raiding, pvp, loot distribution and behind the scenes work will be as streamlined as possible so that you, as a member, can focus on your leisure time being pleasant. Building a great community is our main focus and we think this should be a core value for every guild.
      EXPECTATIONS:
      A positive mature mindset. No SJW's or snow flakes High raid attendancy +-90%. We understand IRL sometimes stands in the way but don't become the person that makes the raid go "WHAT, AGAIN?" Don't go rogue without notice for signed up events Self-sufficiency. Learn raids beforehand, show up prepared (flasks etc) and researching your class Able to receive and give criticism No elitism Decent English, both writing and speaking Discord + mic. Push-to-talk during raids Patience during raids OFFERING:
      Strong and experienced leadership Transparency in guild related matters DKP system for loot. Loot council is still on the table Main focus lies on PVE - will schedule PVP events Streamlined events with low downtime RAID SCHEDULE:
      Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday 20:30 - 23:00 server time Two raids a week once we're on farm status Invites start at 20:00 server time NEEDS:
      CLASSES: all STAFF: Raid leader, Officers and Class leaders CONTACT:
      Socials are welcome too! More info? Questions? Want to apply? Please join our discord:
      http://discord.gg/brkMt32
    • By GuyNoodle
      Withdrawing this application: wrong forum.
    • By Unholyraven
      **Guild: <Nevermore> [Horde][US][PvP][Semi-Hardcore/PvP][Loot Council]**
      **Raid Times:** Tues, Weds 9pm - 12am ET
      **Goals:** Rekindle our romance with Vanilla by forming a close knit, active family of gamers. We will be focusing on raiding content as it's released, clearing content in a respectable manner, being one of the top guilds on our server. Beyond raiding we will be doing plenty of World PvP and pre-made BGs; if it's red, it's dead! We will choose a high-pop NON-STREAMER server.
      **Sup?:** We have **vast experience in Vanilla raiding or obtained Rank 12+ in PvP**. We also have members that are just looking for an active and friendly community to call home and that's what we offer. **We are very active, chatting throughout the day and night, playing on beta or private servers, honing out our skills and learning to play with one another while we wait for launch.** We are a large family, just like Vanilla, where everyone works together for the common good, and everyone knows everyone. We're playing on Nighthaven while we await Classic's launch. Come play with us on NH and in Classic!
      **Needs:** We're looking for additional experienced Vanilla raiders. That said, if you aren't familiar, but you're willing to read, listen, learn, or just want to come and have fun with us, we still want you.
      Druid (Resto): Medium
      Hunter: Low
      Mage: Low
      Priest (Holy): Medium
      Rogue: Low
      Shaman (Resto): Low
      Warlock: High
      Warrior (DPS): Low
      Warrior (Tank): Low
      **About Nevermore:** We are a large org with ~ 2,000 members in our Discord. We play various games, some more competitively than others. We've been around for roughly a year as an org. We also operate as a gaming league, hosting competitive seasonal game play and tournament play with cash prizes and sponsors for CSGO, Apex, and Overwatch. 
      **Apply:** http://www.nevermorenation.com/wowapp
      **Discord:** https://discord.gg/5rh2Muq

• By Megadeaf
      Weißt du noch, welchen Char du zu Classiczeiten gespielt hast? Als du das erste Mal Orgrimmar betreten hast? Der erste Flug mit dem Zeppelin?
      Nachdem der mutmaßliche Classic-Release nur noch kurze 95 Tage entfernt ist, wird es für uns Zeit aktiv für unsere Gilde zu rekrutieren.
      Voller Freude schauen wir dem Releasetermin entgegen, um gemeinsam nochmal den Content von früher zu erleben.
      Wir sind eine Gruppe deutschsprachiger Spieler, die sich im Laufe ihrer WoW-Laufzeit gefunden haben und gemeinsam durchstarten wollen. Unter uns gibt es sowohl Ex-Profispieler als auch (Neu-)Einsteiger, die erst nach Classic angefangen haben.
      Wir suchen für unsere semi-progress Gilde (3 Raidtage/Woche - Do, Mo, (Di) von 20-23 Uhr) noch motivierte Spieler, die gemeinsam an unserer Seite kämpfen wollen und das “originale” WoW (wieder-)erleben wollen. Unser Ziel ist klar: Uns sowohl im PvE als auch im PvP einen Namen machen.
      Aber auch Community/Gelegenheitsspieler sind gern gesehen! Mein Ziel ist es nicht nur ein grandioses GIldenklima aufzubauen, sondern auch auf Hordenseite eine standfeste Community zu etablieren - ganz wie früher!
      Diesbezüglich stehen wir auch schon im Kontakt mit anderen Gilden!
      Neugierig geworden?
      Dann bewerbt euch doch gleich in unserem Forum:
      https://forum.megadeaf.eu/
    • By Purplespirk
      I am new to mmos and I was playing an Arcane Mage but my fiance said frost mages are better so I am trying to learn how to play it and I have watched videos and gone over the icy viens information but it is still very confusing for me. I know this sounds bad but can anyone like dumb it down or like comment simpler instructions right now i am going off this attachment i made based of some advice and off of icy viens and i am only doing 4152 dps total so I am not sure if this is low or not but I am already level 120 right now 
      https://gyazo.com/4130f71f1790c7b25a8dd3d23cb4f388