FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Qelyn

Brand new Boomkin assistance

So I recently joined a pretty experienced guild as a Resto druid. However, they have decided that they needed a Boomkin, as we already had two Resto druids, and so I said I would happily make the switch. However, being brand new, well.... let's just say I'm awful. I've read some guides, checked out some FAQ's/intro guides and whatnot, but I'd really appreciate some help.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Qelyn/simple

Here are the logs to our raid last night (which I'm still trying to figure out how to even read properly): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4MPYgKVdNpjtGfTh

Also, what addons do people find very useful? I have only the basic raid addons at the moment, things like DBM, Recount, Omen.

Thanks everyone.

Hello new boomy!

Well, I looked at your logs, and I feel that (as I just mentioned in a previous thread) a lot of the corrective issue in boomy gameplay is dot management and cooldown usage.

So, what I noticed across the board is your dot uptime. Now, if you have read the boomy guides, you will know that applying it at the peak is not as important as applying it before your next eclipse cycle. So, I will break down your dot uptime, on the logs you posted on imp.

Moonfire/sunfire uptime percent:

W1: 80/74%

W2: 84/82% (better, but we want that higher)

W3: 84/84%

W4: 76/56% (you got mighty distracted here it looks like)

W7: 86/68%

Those number should show you your dot uptime trending. You seem to have a harder time with sunfire, which is the case over moonfire. You can to refresh sunfire every solar cyle, where moonfire you can do it every other and still be safe.

Next is Starsurge capping - Because of the charge system, if you let it sit at 3, and get a shooting stars proc, you are effectively wasting a starsurge, we want to hover between 1-2 ideally, and if you get a proc, you want to use it. 

Below I will count your procs, plus natural refresh over the duration with the amount you used. The difference is how many went unused.

W1: 27/21 - (the 27 is how many starsurge/starfall charges you had during the fight, the 21 is how many you used, which means 6 starsurges/starfalls went to waste)

W2: 27/25 (better this time, only capped 2)

W3: 30/29 (way better that time!)

Cooldown usage:

W1: Inc/CA @ start - not used again

W2: Inc/CA @ start - not used again

W3: Inc/CA @ start - not used again

W4: Inc/CA @ start - not used again

W7: Inc/CA @ start - not used again - This is the one we need to look at. Your fight went for 11:48 - you had the opportunity to use incarnation AND celestial alignment again. Up to 3 additional times. 

You also had a lust phase, and while you potted at start, you did not ever pot again. The lust phase would be the best time to do that (though, this should really be a concern after we tighten up the other stuff)

So, in short....you could have had HUGE burst opportunities on the transition phases (which is where I and where I see other booms pop CDS) to nuke those adds....and they NEED to be nuked.

I have found that raiding on a boomy...Weakauras2 has been the BEST thing for me...EVER. 

Its highly customizable to fit whatever need you may have. 

My WA shows me my eclipse bar, my SS procs, and its refresh time. I see what eclipse state im in. I know when trinkets proc. I know when cds are available to me.

What people choose to have weak auras show them is personal though, what one may find beneficial...may not be to another.

So, what you may want to do, is look into a dot management tracking addon. I have used Raven (which is highly customizable) for a long time...to track debuffs/dots/hots etc for a long time and like it. 

Also, like I said, weakauras is really great to keep track of CDs, and abilities.

• Like 1

Wow... This was amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to have such a detailed and thorough response, this is great!

I'll make sure to be better about keeping DoT's up on the boss. For some reason I thought I had it up much more, but apparently it would not be the case! I'm sure the addons will help me keep track of them.

I'll also make sure to keep an eye on Starsurges for the battles. I did make an effort to make sure I was always between 1-2. Sometimes I hit 0, mostly during the adds phase as I was in charge of DPSing down the little adds, and so I was chaining Starfall.

As for CA, I don't know what's up with the report, because I know for a fact that I made sure to pot, Incarnation, and CA at the beginning. But you're 100% right, I was piss poor on remembering to use it during the fight, especially during Lust phase. I need to get much better at that.

I'll check out the WeakAuras and Raven addons, see if they work well for me. I think a DoT timer and cooldown timer would help me a ton.

Thank you again so much for the help!

Here is an update from our raid tonight, including Imp kill. We won't count the first attempt because it was bad news bears for everyone. A lot of sloppy mistakes. The second shot though was very clean.

As always, any tips/hints/tricks is appreciated, I'm all ears!

Here is an update from our raid tonight, including Imp kill. We won't count the first attempt because it was bad news bears for everyone. A lot of sloppy mistakes. The second shot though was very clean.

As always, any tips/hints/tricks is appreciated, I'm all ears!

Doesnt appear to be an updated link?