FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cam

Help solve my Frost Mage log mystery please :(

Ok. I am getting shit on by other Frost Mages in my guild. I have better gear, more Multistrike. Perfect FoF and BF proc usage and have optimal uptime on buffs during the fight.

I have raided with 4 different Frost Mages this tier and every one of them get way more FoF procs than me EVERY pull.

As you can see from the logs. Our damage breakdown is really close. 79 Frostbolt casts compared to his 76. I had 4 more Brain Freeze procs but the other Mage had 10 more Ice Lance casts. This results in him being 2k DPS ahead of me, which is a lot.

During that pull I did miss like 2 GCD's of uptime as I was soaking the adds at the start and casting Time Warp.

Am I missing something obvious or doing something wrong. I can't seem to put my finger on it. It is quite disheartening to go from the 99th percentile on all SoO parses to getting out DPS'd by guildies in slightly worse gear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think I solved it. I macro'd the Haste trinket with Mirror Images whereas bad guy mage (he is a good guy really) used it at the end in combination with Icy Veins. So he had a haste buff up during Icy Veins and I had it up during my second Mirror Image. The extra haste during Icy Veins could account for some of the extra Ice Lance procs. 

I will make a separate keybind for the Haste trinket and try using it more optimally. 

• Like 1

If you don't expect to use your mirror image CD more than twice, so they benefit from the trinket/draenic potion/ icy veins buff?
If yes, maybe it would be wise to wait that all your cd's are up before casting all of them.

(I am definitly not sure about what i am proposing, if an expert frost mage could confirm or infirm it, i don't know much about how mirror images benefit from buffs).

Basically both of us were using MI on cooldown so it could be back up a few seconds into the enrage to extend the time we could survive during enrage.

The difference was I was using my Haste trinket on the pull and on my second MI. The other Mage was using his Haste trinket on the pull and delaying its use until the 3 minute mark to use with Icy Veins, which is a bigger DPS increase since he had IV and Potion up as well.

We played that fight almost identically but combined with his better Trinket usage and a slight variance in FoF RNG and he ended up demolishing me. Oh well, I learn from my mistakes. 

Yes i understood the difference between your two logs.

I was just wondering something else : could both of you improve your dps by delaying mirror image until your second icy vein procs, knowing that you won't use it again, in order to win some dps bu having your mirror images buffed both with draenic intellect potion and icy veins :) (if that works of course).  That would be handy for instance on the mythic butcher, knowing he has a 4 min enrage timer. 

But that's quite a situational problem i guess.

Yes i understood the difference between your two logs.

I was just wondering something else : could both of you improve your dps by delaying mirror image until your second icy vein procs, knowing that you won't use it again, in order to win some dps bu having your mirror images buffed both with draenic intellect potion and icy veins smile.png (if that works of course).  That would be handy for instance on the mythic butcher, knowing he has a 4 min enrage timer. 

But that's quite a situational problem i guess.

Yeah and in most cases that would be a DPS increase, but since we were hitting 10 seconds into enrage sometimes we felt as if having our images up to tank the boss for a few seconds could keep the group alive slightly longer which would mean the group would do more overall DPS. 

It never worked out that way since on our kill we killed if like 2 seconds into enrage.