FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
jmaatman

Looking for help with my mage

Hi, I have recently switched to raid on my mage (previously was on a druid/paladin/warrior as heals/melee/tank). I am consistently doing decent dps on fights, however I believe I should be doing better than I am (672 ilvl currently). I will post logs for a few fights on my most recent heroic run as well as mythic from earlier this week. Please advise as to how I can improve and more importantly be more consistent in my damage.

Rotation - follow pretty closely the standard - use fingers of frost proc, use brain freeze proc when less than 2 fof, ice nova to keep 2nd charge rolling, frozen orb on cd, frostbolt filler, (probably not perfect right now but it's not the worst i'm hoping). i am not great with prismatic crystal right now so i simply take thermal instead as pc is a dps loss for me until i get used to it.

Profile - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/khaz-modan/Ssangina/advanced

Heroic - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LXbDGzHZyhvPMJ7k#fight=8&type=damage-done

Mythic - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FkzX4qJK9Aj6hyrn#fight=2

Edited by jmaatman

From your Mythic Bladefist parse.

You missed/munched 13 Fingers of Frost procs and 1 BrainFreeze proc.

You should have delayed your second Icy Veins and used it with Mirror Images and Potion. You cast Icy Veins, then Images 30 seconds later and then used the Potion at the end of the fight with no other buffs. None of your major cooldowns were used together apart from on the pull.

In that fight you have a 30 second window where you can keep all your cooldowns without wasting them. You can basically wait for 30 seconds to try and get at least 1 Brainfreeze and 1 FoF with the legendary ring proc then use all your cooldowns (MI, Icy Veins, Orb, Potion and any on use trinket you may have) and blow the boss away. Even better if the boss is at high stacks so he takes extra damage. Even better still if your guild is waiting for the boss to take high damage before using Time Warp.

You also used Greater Invis. This is not recommended because the boss can be very random if you drop a fixate and can easily fuck over someone else. Sometimes he bugs out and targets a melee as well.

It also seems as if you were missing Crit and Mastery buff for 30 percent of the fight

Thanks for looking at this! I will work on using up fof charges esp when frozen orb is up. I probably need to figure out by fight length which fights to delay mirror and which to not. I believe on this I used invis for the damage reduction.

Edited by jmaatman