FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alyxra

Help with dps on my ret paladin.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Alyxra/simpleThis is my current gear on my paladin.

Overall logs for guild

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GZKP4F6BhgNWmrRJ/#

My logs specifically

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GZKP4F6BhgNWmrRJ/#type=damage-done&source=234

Currently I am under performing for my ilvl. I main a hunter but I am looking to switch to this character for blackrock. I have never played a ret paladin until this expansion and am looking for things I can do to be better.

Currently my understanding of the rotation for ret paladin is Keep, Execution sentence, Crusader Strike, Judgement, hammer of wrath and exorcism on cooldown. I am putting priority on hammer of wrath when avenging wrath is active and also when the boss is under 35%. If hammer of wrath is not available I prioritize crusader strike  over exorcism and judgement. Final verdict i am using at 4 or 5 holy power and using divine storm procs when i have final verdict active.

So even though i feel that I know what I am supposed to be doing, I feel like I am not executing it accordingly. I know for my ilvl my dps is garbage tear and I really want to improve. Any advice would be wonderful.

One of the biggest things is that you're not using Scabbard, which is a huge increase (no use in getting it if you run Heroic BRF but if your guild doesn't plan on doing that any time soon, then try to buy one) A few other things is you have a few low ilvl poorly optimized gear choices (like the pvp gear), you're also using some of your skills at a moment too soon when you could be using them in a situation to make them stronger.

I've noticed in your logs you use divine storm a fair few times without empowering it first. Another thing I noticed is you're not making the most of your opener, which should start with ES followed by your burst (which I can't tell if you know how to burst properly and if you're able to, please give me your Burst "rotation" and after burst "rotation") 

The biggest thing you need to worry about, though, is that you don't need to worry about your DPS unless you feel like your DPS is holding your guild back, the biggest thing is you need to worry about is surviving and supporting your guild.

We are currently 2/10 heroic on 1 night of heroic progression so it's not going too fast but we are progressing. Secondly the reason I have pvp gear is because this is a new 100 and its better than the 630's I was rocking before. I am running highmaul 7/7 every week trying to replace whatever I can.

My understanding of the burst rotation is ES then cast avenging wrath keep your hammer of wrath on cooldown and then just a standard rotation of crusader strike exorcism and judgement. Based on comparing my logs to other ret pallys i need to be better about using my hammer of wrath because some of the ret pallys I was looking at had double hammer of wrath casts than I did.

Also scabbard's cost like 80k :/

That's most likely due to them using Sanctified Wrath over Holy Avenger, and yeah scabbards are very expensive but that's where a lot of rets are getting their DPS.

depends, I think currently it's only much much better if SW is put with SoK, but I like the playstyle of SW much better anyway. With BRF, getting 4pc you'll want to go DP/FV as your talents.

I don't have a SoK and I do pretty darned good without it, and I do think SW is the key. Hammer-spam is incredibly potent as it's one of our hardest hitting abilities and produces mastery damage on top of that; a 30s string of nothing but HoL producing damage buttons (including our two strongest) adds up to quite a staggering amount. And with Foundry out, Scabbard's not really worth it anymore if you're looking at, I think, heroic kills.

Also with SW, your rotation will change rather significantly; in essence, you drop everything except HoW, CS, and T/FV such that it should look like:

HoW > CS > HoW > T/FV

And just repeat that cycle for the duration of SW. I, personally, will drop a CS for an EDS proc, if the EDS proc is at ~4s remaining duration, just to not waste the proc.

• Like 1