FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Koroshiya

Balance - Low DPS

Hai there. 

I've recently switched raiding main from Resto to Boomkin, and I feel my damage is low for my item level.

Balance is a spec I haven't played a lot of. Before I raided resto I was feral. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my logs and see where I might be making any glaring mistakes.

Logs from last night:

Armory:

I know that my opener isn't perfect but that's something I'm working on a lot at the minute to try and get fixed. 

Trinkets: I currently have Shards of Nothing and Copeland's Clarity. (I also have a Sandman's Pouch I can 3/3 if it's better) Which trinket is better to use first in the opener? I'm assuming that because both are on use trinkets I should be using one and the other straight away?

Another thing I'm not happy with is my AoE damage. Looking at my Beastlord log 

I tried to focus on Starfall and DoTing as much as I could. Is it better to Starfall, and Sunfire (cos of the AoE spread) and then go back to single target rotation or should I try to get Moonfires up aswell? (Assuming advice here will be applicable to Operator aswell)

Thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to look through and help me. Any and all advice appreciated! smile.png Although don't be too mean, I'm still learning ^^ 

Koro.

Edited by Koroshiya

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  

Insanity causing is trying different solutions repeatedly and getting the same results.  It feels as though no matter what I do to try increase my damage it stays about the same.  I'd like to say I have answers for you but found your post when looking for answers myself.

I've played with glyphs and talents as per icy veins and still stay just above the tanks in my raid group for dps.  

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadow-council/Kortanis/advanced

As of tonight I am leveling a Warlock with hopes of replacing my Druid in the raid team.  If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it as well.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  

Insanity causing is trying different solutions repeatedly and getting the same results.  It feels as though no matter what I do to try increase my damage it stays about the same.  I'd like to say I have answers for you but found your post when looking for answers myself.

I've played with glyphs and talents as per icy veins and still stay just above the tanks in my raid group for dps.  

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadow-council/Kortanis/advanced

As of tonight I am leveling a Warlock with hopes of replacing my Druid in the raid team.  If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it as well.

Getting a few logs for us is nice, it's mostly gameplay, not talents and glyphs that make the real difference. Either way, there is almost never a situation when CA glyph will increase your damage output in PvE, especially when you couple it with Euphoria, or Lusting on pull. Also make sure to check out Krazyito's notes on opener, there's a topic nearby.

Edited by Teufel

Hai there. 

I've recently switched raiding main from Resto to Boomkin, and I feel my damage is low for my item level.

Koro.

It's a rather odd having 2 on-use trinkets, I'd suggest you switch Copeland for Sandman, since the static INT on Shards make it worth it and haste allows to fire off a good amount of spells during the opener, and there's little profit of pushing 2nd on-use trinkets when the CA is down. That said Copeland/Sandman combo can be usefull if you need an on-demand boost to damage (Furnace comes to mind). I've also tried using Copeland (with Margok's Runestone) on Operator since it comes off CD right when the 2 packs of adds spawned on both side railways but the results were... not that impressive.

For the most of the logs you seem to miss an extra CA every now and then (Kromog, Ka'graz, Operator), same goes for trinket usage. Other than that seems fine.

As for Darmac log (8:30). Seems you missed at least 1 use of Copeland and Incarnation (2nd CA), I'd also suggest Balance of Power for this one - you should take advantage of your starfall and dots on spears, since those would become a pain in the ass as the fight goes on and you're one of those classes who has no need to keep their targets together to AoE, so having BoP and letting the others do heavy single-target is a good start. Keep both DoTs rolling on Darmac/Active Beast and Spears, refresh when needed, keep Starfall up when there's at least 3 targets around (two if you are in corresponing eclipse), fill up with Starfire and Wrath on the boss. Don't bother dotting up the Pack animals unless it's Sunfire - your warlocks and warriors are gonna stomp them in no time anyway.

Thanks very much for getting back to me! :) 

Yeah the trinkets is something that's been bugging me for a while. I was hoping for the Oregorger or Darmac trinket this week to replace Copeland's. You mentioned Sandman's, would it still be a gain to switch to Sandman's 640? Or do I really need to 3/3 it to 670 to make it viable? 

Hopefully not having two on use trinkets will make me use my Shards more. Should I use shards in the opener, then off of CD and for a third time with my 2nd Incarn? (As a general rule), or is it always better to only use it with Incarn? 

Is there any other fights you would say it's worth using BoP on? I've tried it on Hans and Franz and didn't really like it, and also used it on Ka'graz. Still trying to get used to the best builds for certain fights. 

Thanks again :) 

To be honest your beastlord doesn't look bad. You lost to classes who can do snap AoE burst better than you can.  Just focus the boss and starfall for adds / spears, and sunfire every pack that comes out.

Thanks very much for getting back to me! smile.png

3th Grade Sandman it is. Even if it does not surpass the other 670 options, you can surely get some usefulness out of it. Still, Runestone or one of the BRF trinkets will do better, if you can get your hands on those. I'd suggest using Shards on CD (my personal opinion), since your goal is to get a monstrous opener, chances are that you can line up your procs a 2nd time is not that huge, and yes, lining it up with 3rd CA/Inc Burn. At least until you get 4t17 bonus, things get a little trickier there. 

As for Balance of Power, Darmac and the Iron Chicks are the places where you want it over Euphoria, especially since you seem to have 2pc and a faster SF/Wraths. Be mindful though, that sub-20% on chick is a single-target burn, do not overuse starfall :>