FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Casterly

Raiding Prot Paladin

Hello Icy Veins Paladins, i am here to ask some opinions to the raiders out there that raid as protection.

First of all i would like to ask you all to go to my Armory page on EU - Sylvanas under the name Casterly.

I have recently joined a new guild after reaching level 90 slightly over a week ago and have managed to get myself to ilvl 465 (as of writing this topic) and have been tasked by my raid leader to achieve an item level of 470-471. As with the Valor cap and the Reputation requirements there isn't much of a place to receive much greater gear than i currently have that gives the stats i desire as a protection paladin unless i raid. I have asked my raid leader if i could potentially sub in on a farm boss to see if i am happy enough tanking raid content, and perhaps to prove that i am ready to raid with them.

Before i continue i would like to clear the air as to my gearing pattern, I read on elitistjerks that it is beneficial to prot paladins to achieve the expertise hard cap, so i am trying to achieve that without losing too much survivability. I am happy to say that i can pull relatively fluently without hesitation in heroics without healers saying that i am either taking to much damage or saying to use a cooldown every so often.

My question to you is this, do you think i am at a point of being able to raid with my current gear, and if not are there any items which scream out to any of you as a massive need of an upgrade.

Thank you in Advance,

Casterly

P.S. I will be editing this topic as i change gear around as it is a new week and i do have the potential to change a few pieces.

Edit:

28/11/2012 @ 15:05 GMT - Spell Check

Edited by Casterly

It looks like you've run the heroics and have just one piece of 450 gear left. Have you been pounding out the dailies? There are upgrades with Golden Lotus and Klaxxi that don't take that much to get to. Do you have coin? There are now craftable options that are expensive that could boost you up quickly. Can you choose two professions and get them maxed out? You are missing significant opportunities by not seeing to that. Make sure you are running whatever raid finders you can get into every week and keep hitting the Sha. You could start MV as geared, but it could be tough on the healers - you should be fine on farm content.

Thank you for the quick reply, to answer your questions one at a time:

Have you been pounding out the dailies?

Log-in everyday and do them, hitting revered with Klaxxi today, but will not have enough for the belt until next valor reset

Do you have coin?

I have around 4k after playing with reforging and buying a few BOE's that you have seen that i have equipped atm.

Can you choose two professions and get them maxed out?

I am currently leveling mining in order to farm up a bit of gold in order to level up Enchanting and Leatherworking as they are the 2 biggest givers of the stats i can receive.

Make sure you are running whatever raid finders you can get into every week and keep hitting the Sha

Doing them as soon as i have a moments rest from work!

Again thanks for the reply

My question to you is this, do you think i am at a point of being able to raid with my current gear, and if not are there any items which scream out to any of you as a massive need of an upgrade.

Yes you can raid in that gear; our protection paladin struggled with awful luck during the first two weeks of raiding after MSV was released, and we cleared 6/6 regular with him at ilvl 464 (including 2-healing some content, with no healer over 470). Might have been a touch harder than necessary, but certainly possible. :D

Just a quick update before i goto bed, i just got out of my first raid with my guild, managed to down the first 3 going back to finish off the instance tomorrow managed to get 3 pieces of gear so went up to 371 ilvl. Thanks a bunch for the responses and the tips!