FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cress

Blackrock Foundry - Protection Paladin Tips and Tricks

Blackrock Foundry

Protection Paladin Tips and Tricks

This is a compilation of tips and trick i found during my Blackrock Foundry progression. Any corrections/suggestions are welcome.

General Talent Choices

Tier 1

I generally use ability_paladin_speedoflight.jpgSpeed of Light for all fights, maybe ability_paladin_longarmofthelaw.jpgLong Arm of the Law for Kromog and HansFrans.

Tier 2

spell_holy_fistofjustice.jpgFist of Justice any day.

Tier 3

ability_paladin_blessedmending.jpgSacred Shield, no contest.

Tier 4

spell_holy_unyieldingfaith.jpgUnbreakable Spirit, no contest.

Tier 5

Personal preference, though i generally use ability_paladin_holyavenger.jpgHoly Avenger for massive burst damage. Otherwise spell_holy_divinepurpose.jpgDivine Purpose scales very well with haste and a lot easier to use since it's a passive.

Tier 6

spell_paladin_lightshammer.jpgLight's Hammer for multiple adds/boss fight, spell_paladin_executionsentence.jpgExecution Sentence otherwise.

Tier 7

I run mostly with ability_paladin_seraphim.jpgSeraphim for all bosses, unless spell_holy_blessingofprotection.jpgHoly Shield or ability_paladin_empoweredseals.jpgEmpowered Seals is vastly superior for a certain fights.

Gruul

• inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpgGlyph of Focused Shield, pure single target fight with no adds.

• Do NOT glyph inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpgGlyph of Divine Protection, the magical damage component of spell_fire_flameblades.jpgInferno Slice way hurts more than the physical component.

On Mythic however, his melee attack hits like a truck so you probably want to glyph it since you can't cheese the spell_fire_flameblades.jpgInferno Slice anyway.

• You can solo soak the spell_fire_flameblades.jpgInferno Slice three times, it really helps your healer out during progression. You can't do this for mythic however, as he will instantly gain 50 energy if he hits less than three targets.

1. spell_holy_ardentdefender.jpgArdent Defender alone is enough. Make sure to pool 3 holy power for a quick inv_helmet_96.jpgWord of Glory since you will be left with a low health and immediate danger from the DoT.

2. spell_holy_divineprotection.jpgDivine Protection + spell_holy_heroism.jpgGuardian of Ancient Kings + ability_paladin_shieldofvengeance.jpgShield of the Righteous Combo.

3. spell_holy_unyieldingfaith.jpgReckoning followed by spell_holy_divineshield.jpgDivine Shield.

Divine Shield temporary reset your threat, it will cause the boss to turn to the second highest in the threat table, that's why you need to taunt before using spell_holy_divineshield.jpgDivine Shield.

Make sure to have a "/cancelaura Divine Shield" macro ready, because the taunt duration is only three seconds.

This is known as the bubble-taunt method.

Oregorger

Beastlord Darmac

Flamebender Kar'gaz

Hans'gar and Franzok

Operator Thogar

The Blast Furnace

Kromog

The Iron Maidens

Blackhand

• inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpgGlyph of Focused Shield.

• inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpgGlyph of Divine Protection, Blackhand hits like a truck, we have the lowest HP compared to the other tanks, a string of unmitigated white swings can kill you on heroic+ so use spell_holy_divineprotection.jpgDivine Protection wisely.

• spell_holy_divineshield.jpgDivine Shield when he cast ability_garrosh_siege_engine.jpgExploding Iron Star during the end of phase 1, negating the fire damage and the fall damage, help your healers out.

• Be ready to cast spell_holy_sealofprotection.jpgHand of Protection when a player is targeted by ability_searingarrow.jpgImpaling Throw,it will still apply the DoT, but still better than instant death. Especially in Phase 3.

• You can solo soak the inv_elemental_primal_fire.jpgMassive Shattering Smash twice:

1. spell_holy_ardentdefender.jpgArdent Defender alone (beware the DoT + next melee hit)
    2. Bubble-Taunt method (see Gruul).

Note that if you it hits less than four targets Blackhand will instantly gain 75 energy, so this trick is generally not recommended.

But if your raid is dying and Blackhand is about to die this trick is a godsend.
Edited by Cress

Hello, first off I wanted to say thanks for the guide, it's an amazing resource! I was just a bit confused on one section.

inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpg Glyph of Divine Protection, the magical damage component of spell_fire_flameblades.jpg Inferno Slice way hurts more than the physical component.

You stated that the magical portion hurts way more so wouldn't that mean you SHOULDN'T glyph DP so the magical portion could be further reduced?

Hello, first off I wanted to say thanks for the guide, it's an amazing resource! I was just a bit confused on one section.

inv_glyph_majorpaladin.jpg Glyph of Divine Protection, the magical damage component of spell_fire_flameblades.jpg Inferno Slice way hurts more than the physical component.

You stated that the magical portion hurts way more so wouldn't that mean you SHOULDN'T glyph DP so the magical portion could be further reduced?

Yes sorry was derping tongue.png

Yes you shouldn't glyph DP tongue.png

--

Updated for Iron Maidens and Blackhand

Edited by Cress

Currently the bubble taunt on oregorger can bug out and randomly one shot a ranged player. it works maybe 90% of the time but every now and then it will murder a random ranged. 

For Hanz and franz use Talent Clemency and the glyph divine protection.

First Crippling suplex: Divine protection and ardent defender and sacrifice on the other tank (thats why clemency)

second suplex: guardian+divine protection and sacrifice on your second tank

Flamebender

Use lights hammer for healing support on firestorm and wolves. the cooldwon is perfect. 1st use on pull, 2nd use on wolves, 3rd use on Firestorm for healing support, 4th wolves, 5th firestorm, etc...

Unbreakable spirit for less damage on meteors when your ranges ran into melees group so meteors dont kill you if you are low on hp.

Kromog

for rune of grasping earth you can simply stand outside of the hands and let yourself get kicked in the air. use divine shield when on highest point to prevent falling dmg (instakill) and dmg from thundering blows. your raid have to deal with one hand less. you cant use divine shield on every rune of grasping earth but on every second with clemency

Iron maiden

Clemency for double BoP on penetrating shot targets. espacially on phase 2 so the raid dont have to freak out on every shot. for other members, divine shield, vein death, iceblock, invisibility works aswell.

Currently the bubble taunt on oregorger can bug out and randomly one shot a ranged player. it works maybe 90% of the time but every now and then it will murder a random ranged. 

Yes, sadly this is true. If it's bugging often, maybe we should skip this method.

For Hanz and franz use Talent Clemency and the glyph divine protection.

First Crippling suplex: Divine protection and ardent defender and sacrifice on the other tank (thats why clemency)

second suplex: guardian+divine protection and sacrifice on your second tank

I don't recommend clemency on this fight, especially now you can cast spells while grabbed. 20% physical damage reduction every 30s is too good to pass up, especially during shattered vertebrae stacks and stamping madness where your healers are busy.

Flamebender

Use lights hammer for healing support on firestorm and wolves. the cooldwon is perfect. 1st use on pull, 2nd use on wolves, 3rd use on Firestorm for healing support, 4th wolves, 5th firestorm, etc...

Unbreakable spirit for less damage on meteors when your ranges ran into melees group so meteors dont kill you if you are low on hp.

Yes this is mostly personal preference, if your healers are struggling this will help.

Kromog

for rune of grasping earth you can simply stand outside of the hands and let yourself get kicked in the air. use divine shield when on highest point to prevent falling dmg (instakill) and dmg from thundering blows. your raid have to deal with one hand less. you cant use divine shield on every rune of grasping earth but on every second with clemency.

Clemency is not recommended since you're tanking and you'll need to use DP often especially during high Warped Armor stacks. Bubble > HoP > Bubble rotation is enough for Thundering Blows.

Iron maiden

Clemency for double BoP on penetrating shot targets. espacially on phase 2 so the raid dont have to freak out on every shot. for other members, divine shield, vein death, iceblock, invisibility works aswell.

Again, i prefer Unbreakable Spirit. During phase 2 tank should focus on minimizing Sanguine Strikes damage, let the other paladins take clemency.

Edited by Cress

Maybe note that you shouldn't use glyph of divine protection on flamebender, i've found that the most damaging spell is the fire from the wolfs, especially on high stacks, and from what i know it's magical damage :)

About grull - on myph he hit like truck with phys damage too(1.4kk DAMAGE!!!), so probably better glyph it.

I tank it once, and if i didnt press SoR+20%+external(sac,painsupp,ironbark) he shot me.

Maybe note that you shouldn't use glyph of divine protection on flamebender, i've found that the most damaging spell is the fire from the wolfs, especially on high stacks, and from what i know it's magical damage smile.png

Yes, if i didn't list it, it means i don't recommend it. The wolf's breath on 2+ stacks can instantly kill you, so Unglyphed DP is insanely useful.

About grull - on myph he hit like truck with phys damage too(1.4kk DAMAGE!!!), so probably better glyph it.

I tank it once, and if i didnt press SoR+20%+external(sac,painsupp,ironbark) he shot me.

Thanks, added.

For mythic, yes. You can't cheese it anyway due to minimum target requirements, may as well glyph it. Overwhelming blows + melee hits liek a truck.

You can avoid the bleed stacks on Beastlord Darmac entirely by using Long arm of the law.  Judge after he jumps away or when he is jumping back and just move away.  I got hit by it 3 times on our last kill and dodged all of them in LFR this week.  The only times I was not tanking the boss was when my crush armor or seared flesh stacks got too high.

I have a question and I take you as a good and experienced paladin tank and was thinking about making my own pala-tank.
When I read your guide to Blackhand I thought about the Impaling Throw  DoT.

When Blackhand casts Impaling Throw on a target, are you able to cast Hand of Purity on the target to reduce the DoT? The description of Hand of Purity states that the targeted friendly player(player targeted by Impaling Throw in this case) takes 15% reduced damage and 80% reduced damage from DoT's for 6 seconds.

Mostly just curious to if this work because I haven't seen anyone try it out yet.

(Sorry for not being able to make a link to the spell on Wowhead, new here :c )