FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Naelina

Elemental Shaman - Looking for Feedback

Hi! I have an Elemental Shaman that I've been raiding with since beginning or mid-January and I'm hoping to get some feedback/suggestions.

I'll preface this a bit... I played WoW for perhaps 6 months during MoP and didn't return until WoD came out. I never raided (or had max level characters) until this expansion. My Shaman, Naelina-Azjol-Nerub (EU), I started at level 1, leveled to 30ish, then boosted her to 90 with the WoD expansion's included boost to 90.

Our raid team is usually between 10-15 people.

I've looked through Icy-Veins, Noxxic, Wowhead, Battle.net forums, askmrrobot.com, and various other resources to see what suggested glyphs/talents/rotations, etc are. I spoke with a guildmate who has Ele as an offspec to get suggestions as well.

However, despite trying some different strategies, switching talents/glyphs, etc I still feel my DPS isn't where it should be or perhaps could be improved. I know some of it is bad timing...For instance, on Beastlord Darmac there were a couple times where I would cast Ascendance then got pinned and spent most/all of the time that Ascendance was active not able to DPS. I feel I've been doing better with this, but I know it was a problem. I've been pre-potting, using an opening sequence, potting either during Hero or at another point where I use Ascendance and/or have a good period of time to get in DPS.

Some of it is just stupid mistakes - I slip up and hit the wrong button or fumble a bit, which obviously wastes time. Some of the time I see that if I wait another maybe half second or second I'll have a better spell, so I pause and then use that (Lava Burst for instance...rather than filling with Chain Lightning and using Lava Burst next).

My usual opening sequence is:

4 sec: Unleash Flame (since I have Unleashed Fury as a talent)

3 sec: Fire Elemental Totem

2 sec: Pre-pot

On pull: Flame Shock, followed by Ascendance, Lava Burst, etc.

I also have some trouble with fights that deal with a lot of movement, such as Tectus, Twin Ogron, Hanz & Franz, etc. I use Spiritwalker's Grace when possible, but (as an example) when I get Crystalline Barrage on me 2 or 3 times in a row, Spiritwalker's Grace isn't off of cooldown.

It also seems like my damage at the very beginning of the fight is rather low compared to others (including another Ele Shaman), but I then pretty quickly catch up.

Some of it is, I think, just continuing to practice and not fumbling with what buttons I'm pressing (I re-arranged which spells are where and it seems to have helped), but I'm sure there are other things I could do that would help.

I'd appreciate some suggestions/feedback.

Here are the logs from yesterday's raid: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/pkLMDnPf2dCJy68Z#fight=6

And here's the ones from our guild in general (I was in all of them): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/61052

Thanks in advance!

Not the greatest gear (high mastery), cheap cloak enchant, cheap weapon enchant (frostwolf is REALLY strong), no tier yet.

Your flame shock uptime could get better, for some reason you're NEVER using earthquake (??)

Your unleashed fury uptime seems quite low on some fights as well.

Are you using earth shock with 18+ charges of fulmination ? Are you using Lava Surge as soon as it procs ?

You're not using Liquid Magma on multi-target fights either. (You're not even using earthquale on Tectus ever).

Earthquake is the reason elemental shamans have any real aoe damage, (and liquid magma), you rrrreally should be using it more.

I'm trying to work on gear - I realize it's not optimal, per se.

Earthquake feels like it takes forever to cast and, from what I've read, most people have said that you mainly use Earthquake with Chain Lightning on 3+ targets, so I haven't been using it with just 1 target (use it extensively on trash). In addition, on Beastlord Darmac, where there are plenty of targets, the pack beasts/boss tend to get moved around a lot...so I may cast Earthquake, but inevitably it seems the targets end up moved away, so it's like a wasted cast.

Yes, I'm using Earth Shock when it procs fulmination and I'm using Lava Surge when it procs (obviously if it procs while I'm casting I finish my cast and then cast it).

I don't have Liquid Magma as a talent, hence I'm not using it. I read in several places (and from my guildmate who plays Ele Shaman) that Elemental Fusion is better to use... Plus, as I said, I've been trying out different talents.

I usually didn't use earthquake on bosses because I found that either the boss moved out of it or I had to cancel the cast to move. I only cast it when I have an instant proc and when I know there will always be at least 1 target standing in it for its whole duration. I'd recommend taking Primal Elementalist. The main reason being that unleash elements and elemental blast greatly complicate the rotation because (especially UE) interacts very differently with different spells. On a high movement fight with a lot to watch out for a simpler rotation can go a long way. You'll also get better AoE damage from the elemental because UE doesn't buff your lava beam. UE is a little better if you're playing extremely well, but otherwise you end up losing a lot more DPS than you would gain. I use Storm Elemental for similar reasons. I don't like liquid magma because it's rare on a boss fight for adds to be reliably stacked around the time the talent comes off CD. Any time it's on CD you're wasting DPS. You should also note that while the storm ele is down you can also have searing totem up, making it stronger than fire ele, even with primal elementalist.

The number one thing a caster can do to increase damage is cast more. I know this seems obvious, but there's a finesse to it. If you need to move a little bit to stack but it's not urgent, move as you use a shock or drop a totem. If, for example, your lava burst is on your 1 key, spam your 1 key for the .25sec before it'll actually start casting so that it starts casting as soon as possible. 

Use keybinds. Clicking is bad. If you're a clicker you need to switch. It'll take a few days to get used to it but it's well worth the effort.

Macros are your friend. DPS CDs on a 2min CD should be macro'd together. Trinket, elemental mastery, blood fury, etc. being all on one push will make your life a lot easier. You don't have to make them complicated.

Relax. If you mess up your rotation, fat-finger a CD, just roll with it and use it if you can. Stressing or feeling bad about it won't help you. Every mistake is a learning opportunity. You'll get better and better. Once you master the simplest rotations, add a little thing to increase your DPS just that little bit.

And lastly, the most important thing of all; don't stand in stuff. If you have to cancel a long cast because of the spear on beastlord, resonance on imperator, etc. then cancel your cast. Losing a second of cast time is much better than the 5 seconds while impaled. You lose a lot more cast time if you're dead, and if you take a battle res and then the tank doesn't have one when he needs it you caused a wipe. Stay alive at all cost.

The elem in your guild is wrong when he says you should only use EF, especially in 6.1. You should pretty much always use liquid magma on any fight with more than one target (apart from say hansgar & franzok) and SET.

Earthquake is now instant after a 3+ targets so you really have no excuse for not using it now, it's ridiculously strong. Basically whenever there ever is 3 targets you should be using double instant earthquake. If you chain lightning and instantly drop earthquake you can drop 2 fully charged earthquake with one chain lightning.

Edited by Pandacho
I asked to stop this spin of pointing at each other

The elem in your guild is wrong when he says you should only use EF, especially in 6.1. You should pretty much always use liquid magma on any fight with more than one target (apart from say hansgar & franzok) and SET.

Earthquake is now instant after a 3+ targets so you really have no excuse for not using it now, it's ridiculously strong. Basically whenever there ever is 3 targets you should be using double instant earthquake. If you chain lightning and instantly drop earthquake you can drop 2 fully charged earthquake with one chain lightning.

Should SET always be over EF on single target?

EF has not sim'd hire than SET for me on any fights.

Here is my sim, granted i have some spirit gear/mastery enchants since I primary resto.

Single Target < 5 minute fight.

gOFilt0.png

Single Target 7.5 minute 

6sko1db.png

Not sure what I did but yesterday EotE_UF_SET was always highest on my Sims.

I haven't seen EF up there though.