FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Khrosis

Low 2h Frost DPS, need help finding the problem.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Khrosis/simple
Spec: 2h Frost
World of Logs: (two latest ones, if you need more info lemme know)
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nkyJhZmbPQTcG9NY/
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z3qDjKpGQJnx9Y64/

I have always felt I am under performing in raids, people keep telling me it is because I raid lead and do calls and such. Sure I am not 100% focused on my DPS but imo it shouldn't excuse my lower numbers. My question is am I doing something wrong? Are my uptimes on something really low? Or is raid leading likely the cause of my low DPS? Heck even a hint to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Also I know BRF is AoE spec favored atm, but I really really don't want to have to go Unholy if I don't have to since I do not enjoy the spec.

Hey, looking at your logs I am seeing two things that are a little weird. 

On the Wednesday Flamebender kill you are using necrotic plague which seems like an weird decision. Then on the saturday previous saturday kill you were using defile which seems like a better choice but you only had 4 casts in 8:35 where you could have had 9. The other thing that I see is that you are using Runic Empowerment for your lvl 60 talent where Runic corruption would be a better choice overall.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Khrosis/simple

Spec: 2h Frost

World of Logs: (two latest ones, if you need more info lemme know)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nkyJhZmbPQTcG9NY/

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/z3qDjKpGQJnx9Y64/

I have always felt I am under performing in raids, people keep telling me it is because I raid lead and do calls and such. Sure I am not 100% focused on my DPS but imo it shouldn't excuse my lower numbers. My question is am I doing something wrong? Are my uptimes on something really low? Or is raid leading likely the cause of my low DPS? Heck even a hint to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Also I know BRF is AoE spec favored atm, but I really really don't want to have to go Unholy if I don't have to since I do not enjoy the spec.

I'm sorry but 2H frost is just really bad compared to Unholies AoE damage.

I suggest you give unholy a week to get used to it and decide then if you like it or not because just like you I was in the same spot but I'm loving it now.

Your gear also seems to be better suited for Unholy looking at the amount of Mastery you have, For frost only FS really benefits from this.

Concerning your logs its basically what above poster mentioned plus that you are RP capped allot.

Hey, looking at your logs I am seeing two things that are a little weird. 

On the Wednesday Flamebender kill you are using necrotic plague which seems like an weird decision. Then on the saturday previous saturday kill you were using defile which seems like a better choice but you only had 4 casts in 8:35 where you could have had 9. The other thing that I see is that you are using Runic Empowerment for your lvl 60 talent where Runic corruption would be a better choice overall.

I was switching back and forth and trying out NP one different fights to see if it gave me better results since the 6.1 patch, though I assume I will be sticking with defile for most fights. As for the lvl 60 talent I thought it was basically a toss up between RE or BT with RC being very behind both of them, did this change since the start of WoD?

As for trying Unholy, I have done it several times before and didn't enjoy it. Also looking over my armory just to make sure after reading your post, I have at least twice as much Multistrike as Mastery. I really only have it on gear because you don't really have much choice with highmaul drops and I am still working on getting BRF stuff(plate doesnt seem to want to drop for our raid).

I will try to be a bit tigher on Defile use and keep a better eye on my RP, I will also give Runic Corruption a try and see if that helps at all. Overall I think the main problem with just being above the tanks in DPS is the stuff mentioned above and me being 2h Frost.

I was switching back and forth and trying out NP one different fights to see if it gave me better results since the 6.1 patch, though I assume I will be sticking with defile for most fights. As for the lvl 60 talent I thought it was basically a toss up between RE or BT with RC being very behind both of them, did this change since the start of WoD?

As for trying Unholy, I have done it several times before and didn't enjoy it. Also looking over my armory just to make sure after reading your post, I have at least twice as much Multistrike as Mastery. I really only have it on gear because you don't really have much choice with highmaul drops and I am still working on getting BRF stuff(plate doesnt seem to want to drop for our raid).

I will try to be a bit tigher on Defile use and keep a better eye on my RP, I will also give Runic Corruption a try and see if that helps at all. Overall I think the main problem with just being above the tanks in DPS is the stuff mentioned above and me being 2h Frost.

Based on Sims BT is on par with RC and RE is below that.

MS is still the one of the main stats of a Unholy DK, its Mastery above 3 targets so its fine :)

I think the main problem you are having is that your AoE just isnt as good as the Tanks Aoe because you are frost as you say.

Based on Sims BT is on par with RC and RE is below that.

MS is still the one of the main stats of a Unholy DK, its Mastery above 3 targets so its fine smile.png

I think the main problem you are having is that your AoE just isnt as good as the Tanks Aoe because you are frost as you say.

Hmm then I will definitely give RC a try then, i always thought it RE was clunky.

Runic Empowerment

RE has a 1.5% chance per Runic Power spent to activate a random fully-depleted rune. This talent requires us to exhaust all our runes to get any benefit back from it. The other two talents allows us to hang onto our current runes. This is because RE only works on fully depleted runes (i.e. both sets of a specific rune have to be recharging in order for RE to proc it). Overall this talent isn’t as efficient and simulated results show RE below BT and RC.

Edited by VRDRF

Defile up-time is a really weird thing to work on because of the movement in a lot of the fights in BRF but for flamebender, gruul, phase one oregorger, and maybe beastlord you should be able to get really good uptime as long as the tanks aren't making unnecessary movements. Another fight where it wouldn't seem good but I have had success with defile is on Operator during heavy add phases to AoE grip and drop defile for the burst AoE (this generally involves not using it on cooldown. I've messed with Breath of Sindragosa a little but it seems too clunky and inconsistent for me, you might try it and have more success.

I'm sorry but 2H frost is just really bad compared to Unholies AoE damage.

I suggest you give unholy a week to get used to it and decide then if you like it or not because just like you I was in the same spot but I'm loving it now.

Unless you are doing super hardcore mythic progression content the difference between 2h frost and unholy in potential dps to me is outweighed by familiarity with the spec and enjoyment of it. Also in regards to the difference in AoE damage, the only fight where I have found the extra AoE to be more useful than on-demand burst from 2h frost is Iron Maidens.

Also in regards to the difference in AoE damage, the only fight where I have found the extra AoE to be more useful than on-demand burst from 2h frost is Iron Maidens.

2h Frost can only burst single targets, which is only useful on Operator Thogar's big adds (Man at Arms and Firemenders) and on Marak's boat. Any other encounter is either burst AoE or sustained AoE, and Unholy is better at both. Spec familiarity is a factor, though, because you won't perform well if you don't know what you're doing.