FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kabimboom

Heroic Gruul

Our guild has recently started heroic progression in BRF, but we seem to get absolutely destroyed by the inferno slice and petrifying slam on gruul. Is the slam something you have to anticipate and move ahead of time? Any suggestions on how to mitigate some of the damage? Our team is average 670 ilvl so it doesn't feel like we should be taking 90% of our health shots on single abilities...

Maybe if you provided some combatlogs, we could look into it :)

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/97c09d12-4ecd-9f18-cd76-07336b3bd1d5/boss/gruul/heroic#f=14,be=overview

This log is from last week. My logs for Tuesday didn't post for some reason. We seem to die roughly just before the first phase 2. The main difference between this log and Tuesday was that I jumped 9 ilvl points and there were some other minor ilvl increases. Not much else was different.

The Tactic we use for inferno Slice is 3 stacks for the tanks before they swap and alternating the groups after each one. so at no point your raid is taking 2 in a row. 

With the slam you get knocked about a bit and then just spread roughly in a cone so inferno slice still gets everyone.

By the looks of it all of your dps is taking overwhelming blows, which means your tanks are standing in your raid for far too long, they should be there just for the inferno slice then move back straight away, also they should move just in time for it to hit the raid. you are dying to the aoe hit on the tank, this should never happen the tanks should only ever be in the raid for a split second whilst inferno slice is going off. 

A much cleaner tactic (which we use) is to have the offtank stand in the first group and taunt a second before the inferno strike hits, then the main tank taunts back. The offtank then runs to the other group and repeats.

It means the overwhelming blows never hit the groups, as well as being neater in general. once the offtank has taken 3 blows the tanks switch.

Make sure you are switching on 3 stacks of Inferno strike (you can get away with 2 on normal) as if you do not the active tank will not have enough time to dump is stacks of overwhelming blows before needing to tank again.

The 3rd stack of inferno strike can however hurt a lot, so stuff some CDs down for that.

One of the main things that dps and heals don't know and it doesn't say anywhere is that the overhead slam on heroic is WIDER than the graphic. If you just side step the graphic, you're taking far too much damage. Get really wide of it. That includes phase 2.

I agree with having the off tank stand in the first group, they taunt for the slice and the main tank taunts back instantly afterwards and then the off tank moves to the second group. Again they taunt for inferno slice but then move to where the main tank was who then moves into the first group for inferno slice.  

After the first set of this, the main tank will want to clear their overwhelming blows before they begin tanking the boss again. If not, they will likely face plant. No one talks about this much on the guides but if they kite towards the tank that has boss or cross wihtin 10 yards of them when they go behind the boss, their stacks will reset and they will face plant. Not only do I stand well clear away for the inferno slice, when I go behind boss, I tend to stay wide so as not to pick up and reset my overwhelming blows.

The second group almost always is where tanks go down and I think that dps/heals are more likely to go down in. Save cooldowns for taht group, not the first group to take the hit and if it gets really consistently the second group, just move one dps from group 1 to group 2.